Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Bulletin Board

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Active Topics | Active Posts | Unanswered Posts Past 24 hours | Past 48 hours | Past 7 days
Forum   Subject
Trap Line Old Hollow Blog
Jump to new posts Re: Grafting apple trees, 2019 by redsnow @ Yesterday at 06:57 PM

Years ago there was an apple orchard on the mountain east of town, I went up there today and got some twigs. I found about a dozen trees that are somewhat alive, couldn't find much wood suitable for grafting. Pretty much all of the folks that had a
Jump to new posts Re: Grafting apple trees, 2019 by redsnow @ 03/18/19 06:13 PM

That makes 42. They shipped me 52 pieces of rootstock, I'm going to graft 8 more, and experiment with the last 2. I put the 2 biggest pieces of rootstock in a bag full of moss, sealed the top ends with tree goop, and have them sitting uprigh
Jump to new posts Re: Grafting apple trees, 2019 by redsnow @ 03/18/19 09:14 AM

Well, I didn't think that we were on the same page. I did a search: Planting apple seeds. I found a link from Penn State University, if you plant the seeds from a Golden Delicious apple, if they grow, you're going to end up with some kind of hybri
Jump to new posts Re: Grafting apple trees, 2019 by redsnow @ 03/17/19 07:10 AM

In the link above they mentioned "water sprouts", or suckers. They make good grafting wood, fairly straight, easy to work with. In the last picture notice the ring at ground level, that's where the tree was grafted. The little s
Jump to new posts Re: Grafting apple trees, 2019 by redsnow @ 03/16/19 05:21 PM

Not sure? I'll tell you a little bit about prices. The rootstock that I bought cost me $105 for 50 pieces. I was going to buy 100 pieces, that was going to cost me $145 total. That's shipping included, for both. Well, between morning and noon, t
Jump to new posts Re: Grafting apple trees, 2019 by redsnow @ 03/16/19 12:33 PM

I've been going around this morning getting bigger grafting wood. I've got 30 of them grafted so far. I did glance at the clock before I started today, after taking pictures and all, I did 8 in less than 40 minutes. Five minutes each. These are t
Trap Line Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Pineapples & Orange Jucie by Hal @ 03/16/19 11:01 AM

Yes.
Jump to new posts Re: Grafting apple trees, 2019 by FLSH ETR @ 03/16/19 09:52 AM

OK, so, your rootstock is just a sort of a complex straw to slurp nutrients and moisture from the soil and send it up to what ever is above it. You pick the recipient of that action, through your grafting process, and you are growing exactly what you
Jump to new posts Re: Grafting apple trees, 2019 by redsnow @ 03/16/19 09:21 AM

https://articles.extension.org/pages/60915/apple-rootstock-info:-mm111-emla
Jump to new posts Re: Grafting apple trees, 2019 by redsnow @ 03/15/19 07:14 PM

Hmmm, not sure where to start. The year that my buddy John showed me his method of grafting, he'd ordered the rootstock and told me that it was some kind of Chinese crab apple. Honestly, I don't know what my rootstock is supposed to be, other tha
Jump to new posts Re: Grafting apple trees, 2019 by FLSH ETR @ 03/15/19 01:26 PM

I'm confused. You're grafting 'red delicious' apple twigs onto 'apple rootstock'. What would you get growing if you just planted the rootstock without the grafting? Why not just plant what you want to grow? Are you trying to grow a tree that has more
Jump to new posts Re: Grafting apple trees, 2019 by redsnow @ 03/15/19 12:10 PM

Jump to new posts Re: Grafting apple trees, 2019 by redsnow @ 03/15/19 07:17 AM

Trap Line Forum
Jump to new posts Re: Pineapples & Orange Jucie by musher @ 03/14/19 05:51 AM

A good read.
Trap Line Forum
Jump to new posts Pineapples & Orange Jucie by gibb @ 03/13/19 11:01 PM

https://www.truthaboutfur.com/blog/living-sustainably-trapper-on-orange-juice/
Jump to new posts Re: Grafting apple trees, 2019 by redsnow @ 03/13/19 12:30 PM

Well, I got my rootstock today, only had time to graft 1. The rootstock is bigger in diameter than what I expected, but I think I'll have enough grafting wood to make them work. Here's a picture of the bundle of roots. Supposed to be 50 in the b

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.