Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line forum

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#28532 - 11/02/22 10:24 AM new videos
musher Online   content

Loc: Qc.
I have a few 2022 setting/trapping videos on my Musher's Tails Youtube channel. There are beaver, marten, and wolf catches.

#28533 - 11/02/22 12:54 PM Re: new videos [Re: musher]
Hal Online   content

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
Nice.

#28534 - 11/06/22 01:29 PM Re: new videos [Re: musher]
redsnow Online   content

Loc: WV
Those are nice videos. Thanks for taking the time to film and edit the days events.

I remember when you first started your Utube channel, you said your wife was camera shy. Seems like your partner is too. That little GoPro camera isn't going to hurt him. Maybe it's just me, but it seems like something is missing. You two are trapping as a team, and it would be nice to meet the other half.

I like the looks of those setting tongs, and your buddy is smooth at using them too.

#28535 - 11/06/22 10:04 PM Re: new videos [Re: musher]
musher Online   content

My this years' deer video is loading right now. It's been a busy week!

Not a fan of the tongs. There is no lock on them and the aluminum seems to bend so you're missing that last half inch once in a while. But they certainly are light.

Partner already forgot them on a box once so far. It wasn't too far to go back. That's how he lost his last pair.

#28537 - 11/07/22 12:08 AM Re: new videos [Re: musher]
Seldom Offline

Loc: Midland, MI
Great country seen in those videos!

#28538 - 11/08/22 12:37 PM Re: new videos [Re: musher]
redsnow Online   content

I agree, it is pretty country. My opinion, the short little bits of the scenery sure do add to his videos. Kind of lets a feller get a feel for the place.

Wanted to say, Brian brings up a good point in the one video. I think it was one of the sections where they were beaver trapping, and his buddy got caught in a bodygrip? Said he yelling for help and all. Not sure if it was just his thumb or what?

But a feller really should carry a 6 or 8 foot piece of light rope or heavy cord, and know how to compress the traps springs, using it. Just in case!

I'm not sure how it's listed, or what section, but I'm sure it's in the archives. It's just something good to know!

#28539 - 11/08/22 02:01 PM Re: new videos [Re: musher]
redsnow Online   content

The thread that I was talking about is listed in the "Traps/equipment" section of the archives. Dated 2008.

Search: Setting 330 bodygrips with a rope and by hand.

Very effective set of archives on this site!

#28540 - 11/09/22 01:57 AM Re: new videos [Re: musher]
musher Online   content

If I remember correctly, Partner had his setters beside him. He pinched the skin of the palm of his hand between the spring and the safety. Later that week, he had another snap on his thumbs but the safeties were on. That is two accidents more than he has had in YEARS. I can only think of on e time where he got "bit."

A triangular file is a good tool to carry. You can cut through a spring or jaw.

Glad you guys like the scenery shots. The "here's another dead thing" shots get old fast.

I'd be curious to know what you guys think about the size of the deer.

#28541 - 11/09/22 04:40 PM Re: new videos [Re: musher]
redsnow Online   content

That is one "big ass deer". lol

No, that's a pretty buck, nice heavy horns. Very nice! Congratulations. I couldn't really tell from the video, but it didn't go very far.

I'll tell you this real fast, years ago I shot deer on "crop damage permits", the deer would be eating up someone's corn or soybeans. Same type of permit that the DNR issues for beaver damage and all.

Anyway, I was out one morning, I was watching a pasture between a corn field and the river. It's easy hunting. A deer came out of the river bottom, just walking across the pasture, it was a doe. It gave me time to get squared up on my sandbags and all. Most times I'd just yell: HEY. That'll usually get them to stop long enough for a shot.

So, I touched one off, I watched the impact. I was hunting with a small gun, my 22-250. It kind of pounded her back a little bit, knocked it sideways and it made a beeline for the river. I could see that it was running out of steam, just before it ran out of the pasture.

I visually marked the spot where I lost sight of the deer, but I'll tell you out in the pasture, there wasn't anything to mark. The pasture is all about the same. I had my beagle, Tina with me. So, I drove over on the other side of the pasture, about where I thought the deer was standing when I shot. I had the dog on a leash 12 or 15 feet long, and just walked out through the area. Tina picked up a little speck of blood, just on a blade of grass. From there, I could follow the blood trail.

With or without the dog, I knew where deer was. A deer can run a long way in 5 seconds. It was dead on it's feet. But it is good to go out and track game, by blood, scuffed up leaves and all.

One of these days, your tracking skills will come in handy.

But in Musher's situation, I would have taken one of his dogs. Don't want it running deer or anything, and I'd have kept it on a leash. There is just something about blood, dogs can find it.

#28542 - 11/09/22 10:02 PM Re: new videos [Re: musher]
musher Online   content

I did not want to go at night because if the white fur I found. An arrow is an arrow and it doesn't take much for things to mess up. I have used a chessie to help track an arrowed moose. They were plan "B" if my eyes didn't do it first!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Hal, musher, redsnow, Ric 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.