Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line forum

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#26292 - 10/01/18 10:16 PM Above Ground Canine Lure and Bait Usage
Seldom Offline

Loc: Midland, MI
How many folks here use “Grab & Die” sticks or similar such as Zagger’s pipes?

Edited by Seldom (10/01/18 10:20 PM)

#26294 - 10/02/18 12:57 AM Re: Above Ground Canine Lure and Bait Usage [Re: Seldom]
michaelp7318 Offline

Loc: TN
I know what Zaggers pipe sets are, I use them when I target canines. What is a "grab & die" Stick. I also use a lot PVC pipes, for coons in shallow water, with good results.

Edited by michaelp7318 (10/02/18 01:11 AM)

#26295 - 10/02/18 02:15 AM Re: Above Ground Canine Lure and Bait Usage [Re: michaelp7318]
Seldom Offline

A grab-n-die stick is a stick with some absorbent material wrapped around the top. This stick is driven into the ground and lure or bait is smeared on the material.

Michaelp, you mentioned you’ve used Zagger’s pipe set. What did you put in the pipe, lure or bait, and what have been the canine’s reactions if not caught. Also, what was your % of catches with the pipes compared to other sets without the pipe?

#26296 - 10/02/18 11:34 AM Re: Above Ground Canine Lure and Bait Usage [Re: Seldom]
Dfabs Offline

Loc: Morgantown, West Virginia
I have all but quit digging dirtholes. Every time I dig one, I say I will never dig another dirt hole again. The amount of rain we get is everything but dirthole friendly. I have went to almost exclusively pipes and flat sets. I have been using an M44 bait that John Houben made for a government job lately, and it has been working very well for me. Sometimes, I will use a mouse based food Lure, or both. I have been using a piece of bamboo for the pipe because I can just leave it in the ground when I pull my line. No stinky pipes to haul back home or carry out of the woods. I’m not sure what kind of catch percentage I have compared to dirtholes because I don’t dig them anymore, but I can tell you, the only time I know that I have missed anything on a pipe is after a freezing rain turns to snow, and the ones that don’t have something waiting on me have tracks all over the set. You can tell they are spending time there trying to get what’s in the pipe. I’ve had them dig under 6” or better of snow to get down to the pipes. One thing that helps is to drill a hole in the pipe that will be above ground. I don’t do this for drainage. I started doing it after somebody showed me the difference in the way the smell travels with and without the hole. Pound one with a hole and one without a hole and drop a cigarette butt in both of them and watch how the smoke travels out of both of them and you will see what I mean.

#26297 - 10/02/18 01:28 PM Re: Above Ground Canine Lure and Bait Usage [Re: Dfabs]
Seldom Offline

Thanks for your reply Dfabs.

Since from around 2002, 3/4 of my sets are a Miranda-type wak-thru set. I get a good amount of snow here that stays and the set still works decent with up to about 4" of snow. I've always thought though, that I could improve the set when I have the deeper snow cover if I could get my scent above ground. Normally with deeper snow I switch to trail setting with footholds (our cable restraint Regs suck) and do quite well as seen in my Utube videos but there are locations where there are no trails and scent is needed.

I completely understand the hole in the pipe purpose which is a dandy tip- ThankYou

#26298 - 10/02/18 01:32 PM Re: Above Ground Canine Lure and Bait Usage [Re: Seldom]
Hal Online   content

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
Using bamboo and drilling a vent hole are both excellent suggestions.

#26301 - 10/03/18 12:44 AM Re: Above Ground Canine Lure and Bait Usage [Re: Seldom]
michaelp7318 Offline

I put bait in the pipe, (junes widowmaker) and red fox urine on the pipe (just a little). Had some yotes killing pets in neiborhood close to home. I got both yotes the first nite using that set. I set 3 sets , reset the sets, but no more catches. I think it was just 2 yotes. I don't target yotes very often, I am mostly a water trapper. I have used the pipe sets for about 3 years now. Here is a link showing Mark Zagger making a set Coyote U-Trapping in Illinois-YouTube Just to be clear I dont target yotes during trapping season . I do trap them in the late spring and early summer if I have time.

Edited by michaelp7318 (10/03/18 02:00 AM)

#26303 - 10/03/18 01:25 AM Re: Above Ground Canine Lure and Bait Usage [Re: Seldom]
Seldom Offline

Thanks for relating your experiences Michael. Yes, I did view a video of him using his pipe set in snow. Very similar conditions in the video that I deal with. As I said previously I’m very happy with my walk-thru set but want to try getting scent above ground with that much snow cover.

The 1st year Zagger offered-up his pipe set I tested it using several of my proven lures and baits. Due to being my fault of not placing the pipes in the backing and too high(4”) I had coyotes visit each set location and pace but none would come closer then 6’. Now maybe the coyotes that visited those sets were of the timid variety instead of bolder ones but that has never been a noticable problem with scent below ground level using the walk-thru.

It has been a hobby of mine since the early 70’s testing lures and baits before using any scent on my lines, so my testing of the pipes was conducted in locations I’ve used for that purpose for many years. I didn’t feel comfortable at that time with the testing with an unnatural objects (pipes) brought to a set location and I’m still apprehensive about it.

I think the bamboo segments would be a logical alternative to the pipes though. I do know of a couple canine trappers down in southern MI that swear by the use of homemade “grab-n-die” sticks. John Graham has a pretty decent article on his website about his use of them.

Edited by Seldom (10/03/18 01:29 AM)

#26304 - 10/03/18 02:10 AM Re: Above Ground Canine Lure and Bait Usage [Re: Seldom]
michaelp7318 Offline

Have you tried 1" grey pipe. I did not catch any thing but coons with white pipe. I pound down a 10" grey pipe down and leave about 2" above ground tilted towards trap.

#26305 - 10/03/18 02:35 AM Re: Above Ground Canine Lure and Bait Usage [Re: michaelp7318]
Seldom Offline

Yes, it was the 1” gray pipe that I tested with. I figure it was more my fault then anything because I didn’t set the pipes into the clump of grass I used for backing. Actually, I drove the pipes at the opposing corners of the clump exactly as I would my two mouse holes for the walk-thru. Doing that left them pretty exposed along with being all of 4” out of the ground. The coyotes were put-off big time!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Hal, musher, redsnow, Ric 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.