Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Photo

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#27408 - 02/22/20 06:01 PM Plowed in, plowed out!
FLSH ETR Online   content

Loc: Cudahy, Wisconsin,USA
We had a couple of 20" snowfalls since the first of the year in NE Wis. Made it in first time but had to get plowed out. Pushin' snow with my front bumper, backing up to shovel, then forge ahead three more feet to do again, and again ain't fun. Called ahead the second visit and was drive able from the start. No complaints though, cuzz I still love winter. Hey, no skeeters!!

Frank.

#27409 - 02/22/20 08:53 PM Re: Plowed in, plowed out! [Re: FLSH ETR]
Hal Online   content

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
Nice cabin.

#27412 - 02/23/20 11:25 AM Re: Plowed in, plowed out! [Re: FLSH ETR]
musher Online   content

Loc: Qc.
Good looking cabin.

Where is the chimney?

Seeing that you didn't shovel the roof clean, I am guessing that your snow season is near the end.Is this a "normal" year?

#27415 - 02/23/20 05:22 PM Re: Plowed in, plowed out! [Re: musher]

Thanks all for the compliments. If I find some inside pics I'll post them. This thing is just one room, 16X16 with two 10ft covered porches. Built in bunks sleep four, five with a cot. If you dial in on the roof of the second pic, halfway between the rear corner and the window on the left you'll see a shiny dome. That's the top of the UL listed assemble chimney that penetrates the roof structure. If you look further to the left, you'll see the top of the solar panel located on the front side of the roof, facing south. I don't clean the snow off of the roof. I've designed it above the building code requirements for snow loading. Not at all worried about structural compromise. And here, there's no such thing as a normal winter. I'm told that last year, at this time, maybe two years ago, we had 70*. And it has snowed in May. So don't know what the weather will bring. But right now, no skeeters or ticks!!

Frank.

#27417 - 02/23/20 10:15 PM Re: Plowed in, plowed out! [Re: FLSH ETR]
redsnow Online   content

Loc: WV
That is a very nice camp. At first look, wasn't sure if it was log, then I noticed the joint between the windows, was kind of thinking 16 feet square.

Carpenter friend of mine just stopped, was telling me about that style of siding. He called it a sport siding, I think? Said it was mixed with cedar chips, had a lifetime guarantee. $50 per sheet, special order. Darned if I know. It looks very nice!

Let me ask, the camp is in a cold zone, what do you have 6 or 8 inch insulated walls? Double pane windows, and can heat the place with a small fire. But very nice camp!

#27418 - 02/23/20 10:39 PM Re: Plowed in, plowed out! [Re: redsnow]

Wanted the look of a log cabin. Curb appeal, don't ya know. Siding is 4X8 sheets of plywood called reversed B&B placed horizontally. Did the same on the inside. Walls are conventional 2X4 stick construction. Open truss construction. Cathedral ceiling trusses have 2X6 top cords. Thermal pane windows. Didn't spend too much on creating insulated structure cuzz am not LIVING there. 4" insulation in the walls, 6" between trusses. For now, am heating with a barrel heater, but next Saturday (I hope) will be picking up a used Vogelzang wood burner. Cast iron should retain the heat much longer over night.

Frank.

#27419 - 02/24/20 04:38 AM Re: Plowed in, plowed out! [Re: FLSH ETR]

Northeast corner
Southeast corner
Southwest corner
Northwest corner

#27420 - 02/24/20 02:10 PM Re: Plowed in, plowed out! [Re: FLSH ETR]
redsnow Online   content

Loc: WV
Very nice! Good looking kitchen area, I see the gas stove, was wondering about cooking.

Can't tell, concrete floor? Nice looking table too.

I see a lot of camps around here where folks have an old refrigerator sitting on the porch, makes a good place to keep pop and beer so it won't freeze up and bust, unless it gets blue cold.

Just looking the place over, I don't see anything inside really valuable, that's a good thing. Never know, might be best to keep the window blinds open. You just never know when some goofball will come along snooping.

But it sure does look quiet, with that 20 inches of snow on the roof.

#27421 - 02/24/20 05:25 PM Re: Plowed in, plowed out! [Re: redsnow]

Yea, we live out of coolers. No electricity for a fridge. If it gets too hot or too cold, we'll bring the coolers inside. Otherwise they'll be outside in the shade. If you'll look at the top pic, you'll see a trap door looking thing next to the lower bunk. Had the concrete dude frame in an opening when he poured the concrete slab. I dug straight down a couple of feet and lined the dirt walls with pressure treated plywood. Put a plastic grate in on the floor, and insulated the lid with extruded polystyrene foam insulation, all just as an experiment. Turned out good enough. Stays in the 50s down in there. Good enough for a couple bottles of premixed long island ice tea! However, it's really moist down in there.

Frank.

#27423 - 02/24/20 08:51 PM Re: Plowed in, plowed out! [Re: FLSH ETR]
Hal Online   content

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
Down home we call that a cellar.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Hal, musher, redsnow, Ric 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.