Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Old Hollow Blog

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Topic Options
#24682 - 03/31/17 11:33 AM Drones, Quad Copters.
redsnow Online   content

Loc: WV
A while back I noticed 4 young folks playing with some type of quad-copter, the first time I've watched one in person. I'd say it was a Christmas gift, and they were learning to fly the gizmo. The wind was gusty that day, it would have made for a bumpy ride!

One of my facebook friends bought one for his kids, 2 or 3 weeks ago. They were playing with it down at the town park, I'm impressed by the quality of the video and still pictures.

My buddy Moe was thinking about buying one, he went to some kind of class the DNR/Park Service put on a while back. He was telling me about the range and flight time, etc. They look pretty neat. (Moe has put that operation on hold, he's already blown his $1,000)

Any of you guys have any experience with a drone?

#24683 - 03/31/17 12:40 PM Re: Drones, Quad Copters. [Re: redsnow]
ron finewood Offline

Loc: palmyra, new york
My brother-in-law has one and he did a show and tell at my house. It took pictures from above, then he landed it, took the SD card out, went in the house, put the SD card in the computer and I saw myself waving at it from moments before. Great way to check out your roof for damage, chimneys for damage, the neighbor [ ? ]and who knows---maybe even checking that coyote trap up there on top of that hill, that gets steeper every day. According to brother-in-law, there are some drones that can send live videos to your smart phone instantly from the air. I only wish I was smart enough, to know how to work a smart phone!

Ron

#24684 - 03/31/17 03:13 PM Re: Drones, Quad Copters. [Re: redsnow]
musher Offline

Loc: Qc.
I bought one a couple of years ago. I have never used it but my son has. I find that it takes good videos but my son says the quality is crap. What do I know. FYI: He is n't very impressed with GoPro footage either. It is just O.K..

Drones have a steep learning curve in flying lessons unless you are video game person. They are also easily affected by the wind. Don't use them near trees unless you like climbing. It seems that every time we used the drone we also used a ladder.

#24690 - 04/02/17 12:09 PM Re: Drones, Quad Copters. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

Loc: WV
A while back one of my facebook friends posted a video taken from his quad-copter thing. He had it up over the ball diamonds, kids were playing, I could read the number on their jerseys. I thought that was pretty good.

I've noticed a lot of the pictures in the local newspapers, they were taken from some kind of aerial gizmo.

The seminar that my buddy Moe went to a while back, he said that one of the instructors crashed his copter into a tree. Said he had to climb up 50 feet or so, to recover it. I think it busted one rotor. Probably a good thing that it got snagged in the tree, on the way down.

I've never had my hands on one, but they look very fragile.

Moderator:  Hal, musher, redsnow, Ric 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.