Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Old Hollow Blog

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Topic Options
#26332 - 10/14/18 09:10 PM findings
FLSH ETR Online   content

Loc: Cudahy, Wisconsin,USA
I know this has nothing to do with trapping but I thought I'd share this with you anyway. I'm a pistachio nut freak. I can purchase either the ones in the shells, or the ones without shells. I figured I'd purchase the cheaper ones that are still in the hulls. Besides the price, my hands, being an x-smoker, needed something to do. So one time I purchased a 16 oz package and another time an 8 oz one. Each time I consumed, I kept all of the hulls in a baggie to weigh them after the package was emptied. Turns out that exactly half of the original weight wound up in weight in hulls. So when you're comparing prices between shelled or un-shelled, you better double the price of the un-shelled ones for a more accurate comparison.

Frank.

#26335 - 10/15/18 10:42 AM Re: findings [Re: FLSH ETR]
ron finewood Offline

Loc: palmyra, new york
Frank,
I hope you get trapping soon, so you have more to do than weigh empty peanut shells. Maybe you could count stars---or count how many leaves are falling on your lawn today.

Ron

#26337 - 10/15/18 10:46 AM Re: findings [Re: FLSH ETR]
musher Online   content

Loc: Qc.
What I want to know is which one, shelled or unshelled, is a better deal!

#26338 - 10/15/18 02:59 PM Re: findings [Re: musher]

Brian, you have to see which ones are on a sale price. Usually the unshelled ones are cheaper, but sometimes not by very much. I enjoy carrying a snack sized baggie of shelled ones along when I snowshoe to check traps, or in the deer blind. And, Mr. Finewood, counting stars or leaves is beyond me ability as I can only count up to twenty one. grin

Frank.

#26340 - 10/16/18 12:26 AM Re: findings [Re: FLSH ETR]
Ric Offline

Loc: Wellington,OH=USA
Now you need to decide weather natural or dyed shells are better

#26341 - 10/16/18 02:13 AM Re: findings [Re: FLSH ETR]
redsnow Online   content

Loc: WV
Here at work I've been selling black walnut kernels. Friend of mine, he's 80 years old, he and his wife cracked and picked out over 100 pounds of nuts last season. Not sure what they're up to this fall? Nice, big, clean kernels too. Not a bunch of crumbs in the bags either. Wholesale, I pay him $10 a pound, you can see the price on the bags. Figure 100 X $10, gives them a little spending money.

If any of you have never cracked and picked out walnut kernels, it's a lotta work! Hopefully I can find someone that will crack out hickory nuts, that is a pain, and they are expensive! But, darn they are good in cakes and such!

#26342 - 10/16/18 10:19 AM Re: findings [Re: Ric]
musher Online   content

Loc: Qc.
Originally Posted By: Ric
Now you need to decide weather natural or dyed shells are better

I always wondered why they bothered to dye them.

#26343 - 10/16/18 02:31 PM Re: findings [Re: musher]

Back in grade school we used to see who could get the best red lips, fingers, chin, etc. We were an awful mess for our teachers! Sure don't need that now.

Frank.

Moderator:  Hal, musher, redsnow, Ric 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.