Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Old Hollow Blog

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Topic Options
#24909 - 07/05/17 02:17 AM Plant ID.
redsnow Online   content

Loc: WV
Here's a picture that I got from my trail cam the other day, we've got some root and weed experts here on the forum. What is that stuff?

#24913 - 07/05/17 02:53 PM Re: Plant ID. [Re: redsnow]
Hal Online   content

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
Boy Tim, it will be hard to tell. It's a little out of focus.

#24915 - 07/05/17 06:51 PM Re: Plant ID. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

I cropped the first picture. Tried to zoom in a little bit more in the one below.

Tell you how this deal went down, I've got a picture of 2 guys on a 4-wheeler going in, about 1:00 pm, that was Saturday, 6/24/17, they were empty. About an hour later, they're coming back out with a load. The 2 guys are built about the same, one with grey hair, and a younger guy, the man driving. I'd guess father and son. Who knows?

If it's ginseng, it's very close to my camera, and season isn't in yet. I can't imagine anyone growing dope up there and hauling it off in the daytime. The DNR and state police have the combination to the gate.

As well as I can tell, we're looking at the bottom of the leaves, and it appears to have roots.

But the 4-wheeler is moving, and my picture gets very grainy after zooming in.

It's possible that they are huckleberry plants?

I showed the original picture to the mailman yesterday, he recognizes the man driving, doesn't know his name. While I had the picture on my work computer, 3 other guys looked it over and said that it was dope. I'm not sure. If it is illegal weed, that's more than plenty to be a felony.

#24916 - 07/05/17 07:03 PM Re: Plant ID. [Re: redsnow]
Hal Online   content

It ain't marijuana.

#24917 - 07/05/17 08:09 PM Re: Plant ID. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

It's been years since I've had my hands on a ginseng plant. I've dug a grand total of 1 plant in my lifetime.

https://images.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?p=ginseng+plant&fr=yhs-iry-fullyhosted_003&hspart=iry&hsimp=yhs-fullyhosted_003&imgurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.easywildflowers.com%2Fquality%2Fpanax_7.jpg#id=0&iurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.easywildflowers.com%2Fquality%2Fpanax_7.jpg&action=click

It's possible that they are small laurel plants. Or could be huckleberry plants. Darned if I know.

I need to move that camera.

#24919 - 07/06/17 10:53 AM Re: Plant ID. [Re: Hal]
musher Online   content

Loc: Qc.
Originally Posted By: Hal
It ain't marijuana.

In less than a year the illegal pot growers should be fewer in number in Canada. The legal stuff will be available to all adults.

#24921 - 07/06/17 01:16 PM Re: Plant ID. [Re: redsnow]
Hal Online   content

Perhaps, but Americans didn't quit drinking illegal whiskey after prohibition ended. smile

#24922 - 07/06/17 01:16 PM Re: Plant ID. [Re: redsnow]
Hal Online   content

Originally Posted By: redsnow

I need to move that camera.

Before they steal it.

#24924 - 07/07/17 11:39 AM Re: Plant ID. [Re: redsnow]
redsnow Online   content

I'd been thinking about that too. I went up yesterday and brought the camera home, it did take another bear picture.

I showed the picture above to a guy yesterday, he pretty much confirmed that it's NOT ginseng. He said the stalks are too long. So, I guess they are huckleberries?

They are ripe now, and very sweet.

Moderator:  Hal, musher, redsnow, Ric 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.