Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Old Hollow Blog

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Topic Options
#26753 - 07/20/19 07:14 PM Beating the heat
FLSH ETR Online   content

Loc: Cudahy, Wisconsin,USA
I'm going to assume that all on this site are undergoing some really brutal heat. Miserable here also, which made me dive into the basement to grind up some pork and venison for some fresh Hungarian sausage. Did not stuff it, but rather left it in bulk style for different usages. Spaghetti, meatloaf, pizza, etc. Garlic, course ground and fine ground black pepper, garlic, red pepper, paprika, salt, garlic. I beat the heat in my basement. Now I have to find something else to do until it cools down. Might just have to visit our Redsnow dude and take a plunge with him!

Stay cool, Frank.

#26754 - 07/20/19 07:23 PM Re: Beating the heat [Re: FLSH ETR]
Hal Online   content

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
It's been terrible here. Yesterday the dew point was 77°. The dew point is the biggest factor in determining the heat index, which was in the low 100's. I employ a little trick by which I open all the doors in the shop about 5:00 in the morning, and close them about 9:00 to trap the cool air inside. Still I don't want to work much past 1 or 2:00 out there. I rely on the A.C. after that.

I look back to the days before we had A.C. and I worked in heat like that all day long. Honestly, I don't know how I did that.

#26755 - 07/20/19 07:27 PM Re: Beating the heat [Re: FLSH ETR]
Hal Online   content

I just looked at my weather forecast. Starting Monday the high/low is supposed to be 81/60, 79/57. I'll probably need a sweater by Wednesday. smile

#26756 - 07/21/19 09:48 AM Re: Beating the heat [Re: FLSH ETR]
musher Online   content

Loc: Qc.
We are cooking here, also. Thankfully water is never far away. We have a small beach and the water is cool. We also canoe.

Yesterday someone organized an event on our river. 110 people went down a section of it on paddle boards, kayaks, inner tubes etc.. It was a "first time" thing. A similar event used to be a big deal a decade ago, on a nearby river, but it died out.

The 2 rivers are most definitely not the same. Ours has rapids and can be quite shallow. So basically yesterday afternoon was spent sitting on our beach watching slightly drunk people bump their butts on rocks.

They expected to be finished the river run by 5 pm. At 7:30 pm there were all kinds stalled a km. or so from the end. Others were on the road after a bush wack to get off the river. Pool flamingos and inner tubes were useless once the current slowed and the wing was blowing the wrong way.

There will be lots of sore feet and heads this morning. Most people were bare foot and supper/music show was after the float.

The dogs and I are really anxious for sweater weather. Deer flies are amazingly bad this year.

#26759 - 07/21/19 06:05 PM Re: Beating the heat [Re: FLSH ETR]
Hal Online   content

Years ago, those damn deer flies would eat up my dog's ears in the summertime. These were outdoor dogs and the best cure I found was to coat their ears with wheel bearing grease.

#26760 - 07/22/19 12:43 AM Re: Beating the heat [Re: FLSH ETR]
ron finewood Offline

Loc: palmyra, new york
Deer flies and mosquitoes are bad here, too, this year. At least it seems worse this year. Not much natural water around here and the small ditches and creeks are pretty much dried up. Been unusually hot for July. We had a really wet spring which was horrible for the farmers and most corn never got "knee high by the 4th of July" this year, because it got planted too late. Being old now---I guess I don't worry about these things as much as I used to.

Ron

#26761 - 07/22/19 01:54 PM Re: Beating the heat [Re: FLSH ETR]
redsnow Online   content

Loc: WV
Yes, we've had some very hot weather! I really don't trust my thermometer, this time of year the outside unit catches a little bit of morning sun and a little bit more just before sundown. Plus it gets heat from the pavement. It went up to 117* the other evening, that's the highest I've ever seen it. According to the bank thermometers around town, we were up to 104 or 105*. Once it gets to 90 couple, it's too hot to look anyway.

Yep, I've been in the river at every chance. It feels good too.

Even on our hottest days, our early morning temps were down to 72* to 74*. That sure helps, but it sure did warm up fast.

My girlfriend and I were out swimming yesterday, we were in the water about 2 hours, we stayed in the river till we both had goosebumps. Visibility in the creek yesterday would have been about 10 feet. Beautiful day to be in the river, I'll guess the water temperature at 70*- 75*, the air temp was 92* on the way home.

A storm blew through the area last evening, my thermometer went from over 100* to 82* in about a half hour. Also got some much needed rain. Most of the rain was south (upstream) of here. If the rivers aren't muddy today, I'm probably going out swimming again.

#26789 - 08/12/19 10:57 PM Re: Beating the heat [Re: FLSH ETR]
redsnow Online   content

Loc: WV
Mowed the grass at the King's place today, I had 95* when I got finished. Figured I'd better change into my water shoes and rinse off, the water felt very good.

Moderator:  Hal, musher, redsnow, Ric 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.