Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Old Hollow Blog

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#27398 - 02/19/20 04:33 PM Loggin'
FLSH ETR Online   content

Loc: Cudahy, Wisconsin,USA
My plan was to fell several trees in the cedar swamp at camp last early winter when the swamp froze over. From a higher ground clearing I could drag the trees out with my truck and cable, or at least with an ATV, to buck and split. Well, two heavy snows fell, so the clearing is not accessible. This past week I was able to snowshoe out to several of those trees, with chainsaw in hand, and girdle them, thinking that the lack of water flow to the top would give seasoning the wood an early start. Does my plan hold water? (pun intended)

Frank.

#27399 - 02/19/20 08:34 PM Re: Loggin' [Re: FLSH ETR]
Hal Offline

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
Yep

#27403 - 02/21/20 12:28 PM Re: Loggin' [Re: FLSH ETR]
redsnow Online   content

Loc: WV
Just curious, what specie of tree are you ringing and letting dry? When do you plan on dropping them?

Also wanted to remind you to be careful, messing with your saw.

Not long ago my neighbor screwed up big time playing with his saw. He's right at 70 years old, give or take. Broke a bunch of ribs and messed up one arm.

#27404 - 02/21/20 04:22 PM Re: Loggin' [Re: redsnow]

Well thanks for your concern Tim. Yea, I didn't want to fell them cuzz I was alone in camp. Clompin' around in snow shoes with undergrowth pokin' through the snow, using a chainsaw, is not safe, at least for me. I'm not a professional with snowshoes, or the chainsaw. I'll get in there when the snow melts, and a small clearing drys up so I can drive my truck there to cable out the trees to buck and split. Should be able to fell them using care where I stand. Will probably wear waders. Hip boots will collect the saw chips. These trees are dead top black ash, 8"-12" DBH. Beautiful dark heart wood. Burns like maple in the barrel heater. I love makin' wood. Can't wait for spring.

Frank.

#27405 - 02/22/20 12:00 AM Re: Loggin' [Re: FLSH ETR]
redsnow Online   content

Hmmmm, I'm not familiar with black ash. Makes me think of packbaskets. Got an email about that not long ago.

We have a white ash that grows in this area, and the bugs have killed about all of them. I know of a few small ash trees, maybe 6 inches across the stump that are still alive, as of last summer. Going out the road to check the mountain cameras, I'll drive past dozens of dead ash trees. The bark is peeling off, white looking, you can spot them from ridge to ridge.

Not many ash trees on the farm, but as far as I know they're all dead. I've always used that one big ash tree down in the hollow as a landmark when looking for mushrooms. It's dead, still standing and will make 3 or 4 truckloads of firewood. I've never really messed with ash lumber, not sure how that'd be?

#27406 - 02/22/20 11:29 AM Re: Loggin' [Re: FLSH ETR]
musher Offline

Loc: Qc.
Black ash is a delight to split. When it is cold out you can almost split 4 foot lengths. Years back, I cut/sold fire wood for a couple of years and black ash was the main wood. It isn't too limby, splits easily, heats well and smells good burning. But it takes a while to season. It also makes lovely furniture.

I received a truck load (close to 17 metric tonnes)of yellow birch yesterday. It is all butts trimmed off of veneer logs. Lengths very from a couple of feet to a dozen or so. Widths are from 10 inches to 3 feet. There is lots of gnarl and twisted wood.

I own a couple of woodlots and used to cut all my fire wood from them but the cost and hassle of cutting my own made me reevaluate. It is so much easier to cut and split it in my yard. I skip out on felling the trees, piling the cut branches, piling the logs, hauling the logs and piling the logs a second time. There is also no hassle of getting the snow mobile trails made etc..

Yep, it costs more than cutting my own trees. But I still have my trees and snow mobiles are tough on gas. Plus what FLSH ETR said about snowshoes and saws is very true. Add dragging wood to a stuck snow mobile to it. High calorie work for sure.

#27407 - 02/22/20 03:41 PM Re: Loggin' [Re: musher]

You ain't kidding it splits easy. Here's what I did a couple of years ago, using just that 3/4 ax you see me holding. I love making wood!

Frank.

#27410 - 02/22/20 09:10 PM Re: Loggin' [Re: FLSH ETR]
Hal Offline

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
I went to the woods just this afternoon to scout out my next firewood tree. Found a pretty good size red oak that looks like it may be on the down hill run. I'm going to cut and split (by hand) as long as I am able. I really don't get enough physical activity as it is and I like to think putting up wood extends my longevity a little bit. I am, however, very careful not to make any daring moves with the chain saw. A couple of years ago I finally broke down an bought myself a pair of safety chaps. Should have done that a long, long time ago.

#27411 - 02/23/20 02:41 AM Re: Loggin' [Re: FLSH ETR]
redsnow Online   content

I was clearing brush out of the road not long ago. I do leave my mark from time to time. More or less just picking on my buddy Moe.

#27413 - 02/23/20 11:29 AM Re: Loggin' [Re: FLSH ETR]
musher Offline

Loc: Qc.
I am big on the safety equipment. Pants, gloves, boots, helmet with face grill and ear muffs. I live in an area where there are a lot of loggers. Scars are not uncommon on them.

Accidents are much less frequent since almost all logging is now done with machinery.

Hal: Is that a 20 inch bar? I could never get used to one.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Hal, musher, redsnow, Ric 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.