Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Help

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Topic Options
#24298 - 11/13/16 06:37 PM "Trap line" dogs
Dale F Offline

Loc: Erie, IL
May be a dumb question, but how do you guys keep your trap line dogs out of your traps? I take my dog about everywhere I go when I can but this is his first year trapping. Most of my traps will be in water but at times I set on land for certain critters. Thanks, Dale

#24301 - 11/13/16 09:16 PM Re: "Trap line" dogs [Re: Dale F]
Mike McChurin Offline

Loc: NE Oklahoma
My first instinct is to say let the dog learn the hard way. Perhaps a controlled situation where the dog spends a short unpleasant time in a smaller foothold may do the trick.

But there may be others who have dealt with this and know a better way.

I'm interested to hear what others have to say.

Mike

#24491 - 01/16/17 10:30 AM Re: "Trap line" dogs [Re: Dale F]
Randy Sheckles Offline

Loc: Strawberry Point Iowa United S...
EXACTLY WHAT MIKE SAID MAY SOUND MEAN BUT MOST DOGS LEARN FAST JUST GONNA HAVE TO LEARN THE HARD WAY

#24492 - 01/16/17 06:19 PM Re: "Trap line" dogs [Re: Dale F]
Dale F Offline

Loc: Erie, IL
I thought this same thing. I do have some older small long spring traps that couldn't hold a mouse so this has crossed my mind. He listens very well but is only a year and a half so is still full of energy when first let out of the truck.

#24577 - 02/21/17 01:11 AM Re: "Trap line" dogs [Re: Dale F]
Jackjr Offline
Initiate Member

Loc: West Virginia
I have a sheltie that I use to squirrel hunt with while I check traps. The guys are right, she got her toes pinched a couple times and now she sniffs the bait bucket a couple times and when she smells a set she will just stop about 50yds away and stare or if I call her she will go way around it. Now blind sets are different and I try to keep her called close when we are close to one of them but she is a very smart little dog and a great squirrel dog.

#25161 - 08/17/17 11:29 PM Re: "Trap line" dogs [Re: Dale F]
Larry Sills Offline
Initiate Member

Loc: Iowa -Nebraska
For those that have electric shock colars, I burn mine off just like you do when you snake proof.

I make a set and leave the steel showing.

Ill heal the dog and walk to the trap. I burn the dog and say nothing. Just a nick is enough.

Next add urine to the trap and walk over to it, If the dog does near it nivk the dog with the collar.Again say nothing.

Then Ill bury the the trap and put urine on top. If the dog thinks because it doesn't see steel it can go there another nick and you say nothing.

Repeat this three to 4 times over two weeks and the dog o done. Again you not training to a comand your training to ifrntify and leave. So Mum is the word.

#25162 - 08/18/17 10:58 AM Re: "Trap line" dogs [Re: Randy Sheckles]
musher Online   content

Loc: Qc.
Originally Posted By: Randy Sheckles
EXACTLY WHAT MIKE SAID MAY SOUND MEAN BUT MOST DOGS LEARN FAST JUST GONNA HAVE TO LEARN THE HARD WAY

This might not be a good idea with a Belisle 330 or a snare with a choke spring! With small, weak traps it should work fine.

Larry's way gets my nod.

Moderator:  Hal, musher, redsnow, Ric 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.