Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Help

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Topic Options
#22187 - 02/05/15 02:16 AM 1x19 cable question for Newt
FURTAKER Offline
Initiate Member

Loc: Franklin County Virginia Snow ...
I hope Newt reads this but anybody with experience is welcome to share. I'm getting ready to buy some 1x19 cable and make some snares and am wondering if 1/16" cable equipped with a cam lock would work for coyotes. I want to use as small a diameter cable as possible for lower visibility and wondering if it would work. I see some guys say it will and done say it won't and want done opinions before I buy the cable. I seen on Newt and Clints rivern movie that they used 1x19 cable alot with the cam locks and slim locks but can't remember what diameter it was and can't find the movie to watch it again. Thanks in advance guys any advice is welcome.

#22192 - 02/06/15 01:54 AM Re: 1x19 cable question for Newt [Re: FURTAKER]
FURTAKER Offline
Initiate Member

Nobody has any experience using 1x19 cable? What do yu think Hal is 1/16"1x19 cable with an aggressive lock sufficient for coyotes in fence lines?

#22195 - 02/06/15 11:24 AM Re: 1x19 cable question for Newt [Re: FURTAKER]
musher Online   content

Loc: Qc.
I use 1x19 cable. It makes a nice loop and closes quickly. It also seems to stay up better in the wind. About the only thing I like 7x7 for is lynx. It seems to snare the fur and close on them better.Rub a 1x19 on your arm hair and then do the same with a 7x7. You'll quickly feel a difference in the "grab." But lynx are pretty slinky.

But I don't snare coyotes as they are rare in my area.

1/16 really isn't very big. If you get a chewer, it's gone in a hurry.

I caught a wolf on 1/8 1x19 cable yesterday. It had a cam and a stinger. The wolf was wearing as second cable that wasn't mine. I'd have to look more closely to be sure, but I think it is a micro with 3/32 7x7. The other snare isn't chewed, as it was right at the throat. It looked snapped.

I have found very little advantage to going small in diameter when using snares. They MIGHT go down quicker, but how much quicker is quicker? (Would lightening really go faster if it didn't zig-zag?) Does cable diameter really matter in a fence line?

Sometimes fancy isn't better and it is good to stick with what is already working.

#22199 - 02/06/15 05:35 PM Re: 1x19 cable question for Newt [Re: FURTAKER]
FURTAKER Offline
Initiate Member

Was the wolf yu caught where it could tangle up. I've never caught a wolf but I'm sure there 10x harder to kill and hold than a coyote. I just don't like the 7x7 cable compared to 1x19 I like a rounder loop and try to do that with my 7x7 snares and can't get them as rounded. Bottom line I want any advantage I can get over a coyote and want the fastest snare and most aggressive locks I can legally use.Thanks for the info Musher. What size and length snares do yu use for wolf? I've always wanted to catch a wolf maybe I'll get the chance one day

#22200 - 02/06/15 09:55 PM Re: 1x19 cable question for Newt [Re: FURTAKER]
musher Online   content

Loc: Qc.
I have a variety of snares for different situations. They might be 12 feet long with a stinger at the end or they might be 3 feet or less on doubled 9 gauge wire. The same is true for fox and lynx. Sometimes you need lots of cable and at other time you don't.

This wolf was on a long wire in a band of thick stuff cutting to an opening. It was tangled up very tight but there was a catch circle.

You are going to have to try a few things to see what fits your style of trapping.

#22218 - 02/11/15 01:25 AM Re: 1x19 cable question for Newt [Re: FURTAKER]
trapnjon Offline

Loc: North Carolina
You can contact Newt directly at www.snareone.com if still wanting to ask him...he's not been on here since Jan 14th.

#22361 - 04/11/15 09:12 PM Re: 1x19 cable question for Newt [Re: FURTAKER]
Newt Offline

Loc: Port Republic,South Jersey & C...
Originally Posted By: FURTAKER
I hope Newt reads this but anybody with experience is welcome to share. I'm getting ready to buy some 1x19 cable and make some snares and am wondering if 1/16" cable equipped with a cam lock would work for coyotes. I want to use as small a diameter cable as possible for lower visibility and wondering if it would work. I see some guys say it will and done say it won't and want done opinions before I buy the cable. I seen on Newt and Clints rivern movie that they used 1x19 cable alot with the cam locks and slim locks but can't remember what diameter it was and can't find the movie to watch it again. Thanks in advance guys any advice is welcome.

Back when Clint and I were filming RIVER'N and OTTERLY SIMPLE. We/I was using a lot of 1/16 1x19 cable. Our target animals were mostly Coon, Cats,Red and Gray fox.We also snared a lot of beaver with the 1/16" 1x19. Clint also snared coyotes with the 1/16" 1x19.
I tryed out a lot of snare cable and locks.The only way to do this is run long lines,a few years. Its the only way to get a good idea how the combo's will work.1 or two animals wont tell you a thing.
With that said,I'll add. I snare and trap using the KISS system. What to have only 1 snare in my bag.So I know what I have in my hand with out look'n.One snare combo to use on my snare lines East, West, North and South.
My snare combo is this.Which I might add is my "All Around Snare"
5/64" x 40" 1x19 Stainless Steel,Stainless Steel 1/16"-5/64"SLIM LOCK,Copper deer stop set at 2 1/2" ,6/0 barrel swivel, 3/32" x 78" 7x7 Stainless Steel with a loop end.With the trap tag built into the loop.Every this is built using Copper ferrules.
Your snares laws are about to change in VA.For Coyote snares or should I say, snares set above the hight limit you now have in VA. Must now have a deer stop and a BAD.Which I would have no problem with.

Moderator:  Hal, musher, redsnow, Ric 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.