Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

Water Animals and Trapping Archive

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#6663 - 03/09/06 07:00 PM Snare Lock for Beaver
Dktfireman Offline
Member+

Loc: New Hampshire
What type of lock do you use for snaring beaver?
Also would you a different one for live catching them for relocation. Thanks smile

#6664 - 03/09/06 08:54 PM Re: Snare Lock for Beaver
bobkat Offline

Loc: Ruckersville, Va
Cam or slim locks both work well on beaver for killing. You need a fully relaxing lock for live catch.

#6665 - 03/09/06 09:07 PM Re: Snare Lock for Beaver
Hal Online   content

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
I use cam locks. They are just fine for capturing beaver alive, as most of my snared beaver are quite alive when I get to them. However, I do not target a neck catch on beaver, and I avoid entanglement. smile

What is a "fully relaxing" lock???

confused -- Hal

#6666 - 03/10/06 12:40 AM Re: Snare Lock for Beaver
Ric Offline

Loc: Wellington,OH=USA
I use cam-locks.From time to time I experiment with other types to see if I'm missing anything,so far I'm not

#6667 - 03/10/06 01:18 AM Re: Snare Lock for Beaver
45/70 Offline

Loc: South Georgia, usA
"For relocation"? We cannot release them in my state w/o a stocking permit, and you ain't-a-gonna-git-one for beaver from our DNR. Also, we have to have written permission to release them on public or private (landowners' permission) land. No one is going to give you permission, because no one wants them on their land.

I'll be the first to say that the law is not the same from state, or in all states. However, the above is reasonably common to a number of states. What is the law in New Hampshire?

From time to time we get asked to do some ADC beaver work, and the landowner(s) don't want the beaver killed. They want us to take them (the beaver that is, but sometimes I think it ought to be the landowner) out in the woods and turn them loose. We cannot do that, and the fact that we are legally prohibited from doing it, is a simple explanation to the landowners.

We have lost some work because we won't take the beavers down to the nearest water, and release them. But we loose very little, as most folks understand that we would be in violation if we did.

Adios,
45/70,
RKBA !!!

#6668 - 03/10/06 03:05 AM Re: Snare Lock for Beaver
Dktfireman Offline
Member+

Loc: New Hampshire
laugh LOL, when I said relocate them, it was just to get an idea on the least damaging lock to the hide on a live beaver. I am not planning on relocating them. My mistake, sorry. I have an idea to run by you guys. If I only have 2' of water to work with, drowning will not work (w/o brake rotors). I plan on using a slide cable to move them out to where there is no entanglement so they can swim around and not damage themselves. I will add a extension to the slide where it hooks on to the bag of rocks to stop them short of the bag itself, that way they cannot get leverage on the bag to move it as well. Maybe I am over thinking the whole thing? Do you think I need to put the extension cable on the slide wire? what do you think of the idea? quest

#6669 - 03/10/06 11:58 AM Re: Snare Lock for Beaver
Buzzard.. Offline

Loc: North Carolina
I use riechart locks myself,they are easier on fur than others I have tried.

#6670 - 03/10/06 01:49 PM Re: Snare Lock for Beaver
Hal Online   content

I have found the cam lock to be the least damaging on fur.

smile -- Hal

#6671 - 03/10/06 09:39 PM Re: Snare Lock for Beaver
Buzzard.. Offline

Loc: North Carolina
Being the devils advocate here........do you care to aproximate the numbers used for your comparison ? laugh

#6672 - 03/10/06 10:39 PM Re: Snare Lock for Beaver
Hal Online   content

Nope. I tried both. Found the cam lock did less damage. And quit using the Riechart.

But... I will be honest with you here. The snares I was using were snares Byron Riechart himself was making and selling. He used a coiled wire ferrule. That style ferrule makes the end of the cable flare, out and it becomes a steel burr. That had a lot to do with things getting tangled up in the fur.

And you know what the truth is... the best way to reduce fur damage is don't snare them in the first place. smile smile smile

smile -- Hal

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.