Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

Fur Handling Archives

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Topic Options
#12280 - 02/27/06 05:17 PM snare damage to hides -- snares
henry fitzgerald Offline

Loc: Quakertown, Pa.
Snares are something new for us Pa. trappers. I will admitt I know very little about them. My question is, is the damage on beaver hides enough to reduce the worth of the hide? Does the snare mark make a differance in tanning? Does the snare mark cause some fur buyers to refuse the skins? I have Hals book and video, both very informative and well worth the money spent.

#12281 - 02/27/06 05:21 PM Re: snare damage to hides -- snares
Hal Offline

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
Snares cause damage. Especially in animals that are not neck snared.

The possible exception is beavers snared under ice, where they drown quickly.

frown -- Hal

#12282 - 02/27/06 05:48 PM Re: snare damage to hides -- snares
Wm Offline

Loc: Williamsburg, Virginia
Hal: If I'm snaring a beaver on land, should I tighten the loop in an attempt to snare him around the neck. The book says to make a beaver snare 9" - 10". Should I make it 8"-9" or should I make it even smaller?

Thanks, Wm

#12283 - 02/27/06 07:49 PM Re: snare damage to hides -- snares
Hal Offline

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
You should make it even a little smaller. But mind you -- you are going to get a number of misses and refusals with a loop that small.

smile -- Hal

#12284 - 03/01/06 03:08 AM Re: snare damage to hides -- snares
Dan68 Offline

Loc: Winslow, Indiana
I have noticed that if you set the snare so the beaver will not get tangled up in something the snare mark is not as bad. I also think getting the snare off the beaver and working the hide around real good where the snare was helps reduce the snare mark.

The way I look at it is that a beaver with a snare mark is better than no beaver at all. I usually set a snare where I don't have deep enough water to drown the beaver, no real good 330 location, and/or it is a high trap theft spot. If I don't get him in the snare I am probably not getting him at all at these locations.

#12285 - 03/01/06 03:31 AM Re: snare damage to hides -- snares
bblwi Offline

Loc: Kiel, WI
I don't use the cable restraints in WI, just too little time and too many restrictions for me to want to try that now. I do not know the average snared coon concerns but I saw a group of snared coons at NAFA a year ago in December and they were not pretty. The pelt was damaged and cut and that makes dressing a big issue plus the fur is damaged on the other fur side too.
Coyotes seem to handle snaring pretty well when compared to the coon from my quick preview.
Bryce

#24125 - 09/21/16 03:50 PM Re: snare damage to hides -- snares [Re: henry fitzgerald]
Archive Offline

Dated for search.

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.