Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

General Trapping Archives

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Topic Options
#15725 - 07/10/09 08:39 PM Finding the Landowner
Alec Offline

Loc: Omaha NE
I've had my eye on some land to trap but there's no houses near it and I dont know anyone around there to tell me who owns it. So how do get permission in this kind of situation?

#15726 - 07/10/09 09:00 PM Re: Finding the Landowner
K-zoo Offline

Loc: Otsego,MI
Alec - Go to the local library and ask to see the county plat map book. Very detailed map of property lines, acreage, and ownership. These maps cannot be copied but you can usually buy them at the AG. Ext. office in your county seat. I have one for each of 4 surrounding counties. They are updated every 3 - 4 years.

#15727 - 07/10/09 09:14 PM Re: Finding the Landowner
haf2sell Offline

Loc: SW Michigan
Alec-

A lot of that info is now online. (will save you some $ on an outdated book) I had a post in one of Redsnows "out of state" trapping threads about it.

If this (and K-zoo's info) doesn't get you what you want, send me an email or pm, and I'll help you however I can.

Regards,

#15728 - 07/11/09 12:08 AM Re: Finding the Landowner
barkspud Offline

Loc: downeast maine
I go to my town office or the town office of town Im looking in and look at tax maps. I find the lot Im looking for write down the map number and lot number take it to the counter. They will look up and give you current name and number of owner.

#15729 - 07/11/09 01:58 PM Re: Finding the Landowner
Hal Online   content

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
This is handled differently in different places. In Ohio, the county engineers office handles the plat maps.

Hal

#15730 - 07/12/09 07:08 PM Re: Finding the Landowner
haf2sell Offline

Loc: SW Michigan
Good point Hal. Knowing who to talk to (Dept., office, title) within a given jurisdiction makes it easier to quickly get the info one seeks.

In my area, the most useful office/titles are: Treasurer, Assesor, Clerk, or Register of Deeds (which is often part of the Clerks office) that has the owner/tax payer of record info (name and address). Some offices have more information available than others. Townships often have more information than the County, but not always.

Regards,

#15731 - 07/14/09 05:23 PM Re: Finding the Landowner
NE Coon Offline

Loc: Springfield, Nebraska
Alec, Go to the Douglas county GIS map. I use it for Sarpy county's all the time, www.dogis.org. It will give you owner's name and address. It is a great tool for our needs and it also save alot of gasand time.

#15732 - 07/18/09 12:06 PM Re: Finding the Landowner
Dale F Offline

Loc: Erie, IL
I use a county platbook and a telephone book. The days are gone where you can go to the nearest house, or even the one sitting on the land and expect to find the landowner. One thing I do before I go ask permission to one person is look at other properties in that area. Sometimes its hard to pinpoint an owners location, so I ask the one I'm going to next and they usually know exactly who owns or farms it and what town they are from. Hope this helps Alec, and those are some nice looking coons in your photo gallery post, bet the pile gets bigger now that your driving. Good luck, Dale

#27339 - 01/08/20 04:14 PM Re: Finding the Landowner [Re: Alec]
Archive Offline

Dated for search.

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.