Antler growth, trail camera pictures.

Posted by: redsnow

Antler growth, trail camera pictures. - 06/27/16 11:27 AM

Back in April I bought myself a trail camera, one of these new and smaller models. Just trying to learn how the settings work and all, I set it up on Wardney's illegal salt lick for a week or so. I had it set to take a picture every minute, if there is motion. On average I was getting 20 some pictures per day.

We've got at least 3 buck deer working the salt lick. The deer just had little nubs, about as long as your thumb, but they've got a long time to grow yet.

I moved the camera to another property where my buddy Moe and I like to deer hunt. Guess it's been up there for about 4 weeks now. I've only checked it twice, just changed SD cards, it's on duty right now.

As far as I can tell, I've got at least 4 different bucks, so far. Kind of hard to tell them apart. As their horns develop that might be a little bit easier? Here's a picture of the best buck so far:

The date on the picture is right, but the clock is off 12 hours. I can tell by the way the sun is coming through the timber, that was late in the evening.

Figure it's the first of July, he's got another 2 or 3 months to grow. I've got another buck on camera, looks like he may have a wider rack. I'm getting pictures of them about every day. It'll be interesting to see how they do grow. Pretty sure I have a picture of a coyote too. Next time I go up to change SD cards, I'm going to take a bottle of lure with me, and make a little set. See what all we do have running around.
Posted by: Hal

Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. - 06/27/16 12:41 PM

I gotta get one of those things.
Posted by: ron finewood

Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. - 06/27/16 02:38 PM

Nice picture, Redsnow!
Here is something I got on my trailcam. [If I can figure out how to post the picture ].

Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. - 06/27/16 02:44 PM

...And this guy!

Ron

Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. - 06/27/16 05:07 PM

This is the same picture, I just cropped it a little bit. Notice the belly on the doe in front, she's heavy with a fawn or fawns? The little scruffy deer on the right, it's a buck. It's got little nubs, hard to say, but maybe the doe's fawn from last spring? Just guessing, the little scruffy deer is only a year old.

Here on my computer I can zoom in and see what's going on.

I'll make sure the pictures go first, then add more.

Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. - 06/27/16 08:31 PM

I have an older model trail cam, that takes 6 D-sized batteries, it takes good pictures and all, but it'll kill a set of batteries in 10 days or so. That's why I don't use it. Plus it's 2 times the size of the new one.

I've read a lot of reviews, asked a bunch of my friends, it seems most everyone just bought what was on sale at the time. I started a thread over on the other forum and asked for advice. Lots to consider, trigger speed, pixels, battery life, ease of use, price, etc. So far this little camera has done a good job. One thing that I don't like, it seems that it's pretty fragile, as far as bear messing with it.

A bear knocked my old camera around sideways on my tree once before, and scratched up the thing, I have no idea why it even found the thing. I had it watching a waterhole, no bait or scent or anything at all. I guess just the smell of my hands, and it was mounted at least 7 feet above ground level too. Don't know?

I know one man that has a camera similar to my old model, he has it rigged up with a car battery and a solar charger. That's ok, but not something you'd want to carry very far.

Moe just bought himself a camera last summer, it's a different brand, good quality pictures and has good battery life too. Mine was about $115, I think his model was another $20 or so? If you've got the money to blow, some of the things will run up over $400. Just for me, I'd rather have 3 or 4 cheap ones. It's not like I'm taking once in a lifetime wedding pictures.

Moe does professional photos as a side job, it's driving him nuts wondering about what kind of pictures I'm getting. Just a guess, but the little camera has already taken probably 700 pictures, on one set of batteries, but it's been warm, easy on battery life.

Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. - 06/28/16 11:24 AM

Ron those are nice crisp pictures, from both brands of cameras. One thing that I noticed, you have your cameras mounted, what shoulder high or so?

I've found several cameras out in the woods, and I also know of folks that have their trail cams stolen. The one boy that hunts on the farm mounted one camera about 50 feet off of the main road, it was mounted about 4 feet off the ground. It stuck out like a sore thumb. I called him and told him he'd better hide it better. Figure that's just like a $100 bill hanging there. And if somebody is trespassing in the first place, more than likely they're going to take it!

It might be hard to see in my pictures, but my camera is up almost 8 feet high. I was standing on a milk crate and put it up as high as I could reach, on my tip toes. I just wedged a twig behind the top, to angle it down where it looked about right. A man hunting through the woods, most of the time you're going to be looking from eye level down. This new camera is camo colored, and it blends in very good.

It's not likely that anyone would steal my camera where it's located, but I figure if anyone does want it, at least they're going to work for it.

Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. - 06/28/16 02:27 PM

Don't be so circumspect. What cameras have (do) you used?

Theft is what bothers me most. My son once put one up in our woods, a quarter mile from nowhere. Someone found it. They didn't steal it, but they knew what they were doing. The opened it up and took the card, I assume so we couldn't identify them.

Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. - 06/28/16 03:03 PM

This is a real nice fisher that was looking in the same cubby that the above Bobcat was interested in. I have [ HAD ] 2 cameras. A Bushnell that also took videos, which was very exciting to watch. The other was a Cuddeback that I bought from Cabellas, on line. Both did well and I have used them a lot. It does take a lot of trial and error to get the settings right, unless you have a modern mind, which I do not. One took D Batteries and the other took the AA Batteries. Both would last a month or more on a set of batteries.

This past fall, both cameras were out in a very remote area in Northern New York. One was pointed at a spot where beaver were coming out of a stream to cut trees. The other was on a ridge, pointed at a game trail. I was dumb enough to leave both cameras out during deer season. When I went back, in mid-December, both were gone. No sign of either of them. I am not really pointing a finger at deer hunters, BUT !

I did always mount them about shoulder high. Sometimes lower when needed---like the one at the Beaver pull out. That one was about 3' off the ground. I want to get another camera, and probably will, but I am a little gun shy now about more theft.

Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. - 06/28/16 03:21 PM

A few more good ones! Quite a few Fisher around in the North Country. Those bigger ones are almost always Males. And what a location for a gang set for Coyotes. This is a seldom used logging road that the Coyotes run on regularly. As you can see, the cameras do a fairly good job at night, too.

Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. - 06/28/16 03:53 PM

Ron, that sucks!

Honestly, after reading and watching the videos about different trail cams, it came down to about 5 different models, in my price range. Bushnell, Browning, Stealth and Moultrie, in different models.

I think Moe's camera is a Moultrie 9000i. Not sure? About $130, at the time.

I decided on a Stealth model, G42NG. I bought it online for $115, free shipping.

The main reason that I picked this model, the moderator on the other forum said he'd had good luck with his, and was easy to set up. Also have a friend that's used the same model, and he told me that it is a nice little camera.

There are 100 different models of trail cams, without knowing anything about them it's hard to choose!

Here's one of my comments on the other forum, just after I got mine:

"I set it like that the other evening, here in the house. I had it on the kitchen counter facing the back door, and left it up an hour or so. I got one picture of the woman coming in the door, she's inside, and has her hand pushing the door closed. So that's pretty fast, on my computer I can zoom in and tell what she's got in her hands. And she was better than 40 feet from the camera.

Seems like a really wide angle, side to side and top to bottom too. But on the computer I could zoom in and almost read the hand written notes on the fridge, and that would be from 12 feet or so. I think I'll like this little machine! Going to put it in the woods either today or tomorrow."

One thing that I was interested in was the trigger speed, according to the reviews, Stealth is one of the quicker. I'll try to find the picture of the coyote/dog thing, it was back, another 4 or 5 steps past where the little buck is standing in my first picture.

I didn't like the way that Moe had his camera set up last fall, I think it has 80 or 100 feet of motion detection, and he had it set 10 feet from the trail. He got one picture of a bear, the only thing that you could see was it's one back leg.

I'll step it off next time up, but my camera is back, probably 40' from that legal salt lick.

Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. - 06/28/16 06:03 PM

I wasn't sure what order the pictures posted. My opinion, the top picture is fairly crisp and detailed, there is a squirrel sitting on top of Wardney's illegal salt lick. Just guessing, it set off the motion detector, from about 25 feet. ???

And then 2 night pictures. But notice the coyote/dog looking thing, it's too big for a fox. It's only into the picture frame, maybe 4 body lengths or so? I only got one picture of it. Here on my computer, it's a lot easier to zoom in and compare it to the pictures of deer before and after, it's not a fox! Looks like it's got 2 feet off of the ground, it's trotting, I'd say.

I'll move that camera to a different tree next time up, and put it a little closer to the action.

Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. - 06/28/16 07:01 PM

Here's a good one. My son showed me one of his trail cameras. It appeared as if someone had taken a nail and punched the lens out. Then he showed me the pictures. A woodpecker had focused on that circle, and pecked the lens out of his camera.

Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. - 06/28/16 07:11 PM

WOW! What are the chances of that?
I have had bear knock my camera silly, a raccoon try to climb on it and a cow moose lick it but never a woodpecker problem!

Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. - 06/28/16 08:11 PM

Hmmm, never thought about that.

What brands of cameras does your son like best?

One of the biggest things that I was looking for is ease of use. My Stealth camera has lots of options, can take videos and stuff, honestly, I've never read the manual. I wanted a camera more like a light switch, with an ON and OFF button.

Above I mentioned that I had my old camera watching a little mountain spring, it'll take me a good hour to walk up there and back. Add in the driving time, that's a 4 hour trip from here at the house. I remember I went up to change SD cards, and the darned thing said it had something like 20% battery charge. Those were high dollar batteries too, costing me about $1 per day. I did get some nice pictures, till the mommy bear knocked my camera out of kilter.

Talking about stuff being stolen, it probably didn't make any difference, but with my old camera, I'd always attach one of my trap tags to the camera. It's only happened once, but I did have a friend stop by and tell me that he found my camera, and asked what all I had pictures of. He would have never taken my camera, but at least he knew who it belonged to. So that's not a bad idea either.

Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. - 06/28/16 09:48 PM

I don't know what he uses. They are not new.

Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. - 06/28/16 11:48 PM

Just a couple more interesting pictures. The Otter and the Black Bear were walking along the muddy shore of a former Beaver pond that the timber company drained by knocking out the dam. Used to be a good trapping spot. Now it is a mud hole, slowly regenerating to forest.

Ron
Posted by: jmbloom3

Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. - 06/29/16 01:14 AM

These pictures were taken with a Browning Strike Force HD camera. I bought it in November of 2015. I put in Duracell Red batterys in , and they still show about 55% charge left. I have some Moultrie cameras and Wildgame Innovation cameras. I will post some from them later.

Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. - 06/29/16 02:14 AM

Tell you what guys all of those pictures are pretty sharp! I'm looking at the twigs and rocks across the creek, for an unmanned camera, that's not bad! That's a nice bear too!

The Browning cameras would have been 2nd or 3rd on my list, I just didn't have any feedback about them. In my wholesale catalog, I could have added another $40 to the price of my Stealth and got two of them. They have a good review, but they are new. Kind of untested, at the time. But those are very nice pictures!

The Cudde/back cameras are top of the line, but expensive. Just like Ron told us, that sure would be enough to PO a feller if the darned thing came up missing!
Posted by: DEP

Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. - 06/29/16 02:40 AM

These are some taken on a Bushnell my wife bought me 3 years ago.

Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. - 06/29/16 02:43 AM

Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. - 06/29/16 02:45 AM

Sorry this is the first time I posted pictures .

Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. - 06/29/16 12:46 PM

Here's a link I just found:

http://www.reviewlab.com/best-trail-came...CFYFahgod72sLFw

Before I bought my camera I found another link, it was a short video and listed the pros and cons of different models. Then I just picked out something in my price range.

I just looked at some of the pictures from my old camera, they're not nearly as crisp and clean as the pictures above. Forget what year I bought the thing?, but like I said above it'd eat up $10 worth of batteries every 2 weeks.

With this new camera, it took it's first picture on April 5th, other than 2 or 3 days here at the house, it's been taking pictures. On the same set of batteries!

As far as someone finding and stealing your camera, I really think it's best to put it up high, and angle it down. Even if you'd stand on a 5-gallon bucket you could mount it up above eye level.

Last fall, I found 2 trail cams, both were mounted about 4 feet above ground level. Black strap wrapped around a white tree, I spotted Moe's from 40 yards. Black on white at eye level, about the best contrast you can get.

There a lot of folks that would find something like that, and think: "I've been wanting one of those trail camera things". And it's gone!

If a man would be really worried about it, you could even take a small step ladder and mount it up 10 feet or better. Drag the ladder around the corner and kick some leaves over it, until the next time you wanted to change SD cards.

Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. - 06/29/16 01:42 PM

Originally Posted By: redsnow

With this new camera, it took it's first picture on April 5th, other than 2 or 3 days here at the house, it's been taking pictures. On the same set of batteries!

Exactly which camera is that!!

Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. - 06/29/16 02:41 PM

I decided on a Stealth model, G42NG. I bought it online for $115, free shipping.

For that price, it seems like a good camera. I'll check my catalogs, I was really thinking about getting 2 of the new Browning models, for another $30 or so. I'm kind of shy about trying new stuff, but it seems they are very good machines.

Friend of mine just found some brand for $50 each. The man has 5 or 6 cameras, and they're all different. One takes AA batteries, some take C's, some take D's. Use setting #2 on this camera, setting A on one camera and setting X on the next one, etc. That'd be complicated as hell trying to keep up with all that stuff.

So far, this little Stealth camera has done a good job for me.

Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. - 06/29/16 03:20 PM

That's my camera. Moe's camera is just a little bigger, it's a Moultrie. Moe has emailed me lots of pictures from his camera, they look clear and crisp too. Here on the computer I can zoom in and see lots of detail.

My old Moultrie camera is almost the size of a sheet of paper. It's sitting here, I just measured it, it's right at 8"x9", and will go through batteries like nobody's business!

Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. - 06/29/16 10:31 PM

These pictures are from a Moultrie 990i.It has good battery life.Have to change batterys maybe twice a year. My cameras are out year round.

Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. - 06/30/16 02:22 AM

Well those are all nice pictures too.

Let me ask JMB, is the date on the pictures pretty well right? Looks to me like the buck deer is pretty much finished growing. Still in velvet, but looks like he's about done. If the date is right, we've got another month to grow.

Can't tell for sure, but looks like a little side road going off to the right. Pretty good crossing!

I skimmed through one of my catalogs today, looks like the cameras have went up in price $15 or $20. I didn't see the Browning brand listed, but unless they have an item in stock, it won't be listed in their flyers/sale papers.

Here in another few weeks, I'll have saved enough in battery money to pay for my new camera. It is pretty interesting.

Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. - 06/30/16 09:40 PM

These pictures are from a Moultrie 1100i. Has good battery life.
The date on the picture of the buck is correct.

Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. - 06/30/16 09:51 PM

Well, our local DNR biologist (Lee Strawn) stopped by this morning, he's doing some kind of bobcat DNA study. While we were talking he showed me 3 different trail cam videos on his cell phone. I told him about our discussion here on the forum and asked him what brand of cameras he was using and what he liked best.

He's using Bushnell, Browning and Moultrie. I told him about my Stealth, said he hadn't tried them yet, but seemed like he had intentions of giving them a try.

He said they all have their pros and cons. While he showed me the videos, the Browning had the best picture quality, sound too. I could hear that bobcat walking in the leaves, and that was just on his cell phone! He also said that he'd found tracks or scat, in areas where he had the Moultrie cameras set, and for what ever reason?, the camera didn't catch it. Maybe it was foggy?

Take all of that for what it's worth, but I have a lot of respect for Lee, he's a good trapper too.

Told him that we were talking about theft, told him I liked to mount my camera high and angle it down. He said it's either got to be mounted here (with his hand about 18" off or the floor) or here (with his hand over his head). Someplace where people aren't looking.

Pretty neat about that bobcat study, he said with the root of one hair, there would be enough DNA to identify individual animals. That's amazing.

Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. - 06/30/16 09:53 PM

In the picture of the Buck , the opening you see at the top of the picture is a gas line right of way that goes from left to right. Then back where the camera is there is a step in the hill that runs parallel to the gas line. The deer like to bed on it. I've got an m880 taking videos at that spot I'll try to post some of those later. I have pictures of that Buck back a couple of years I'll get those together to post to show growth from year to year.

Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. - 07/02/16 12:25 PM

J. I'd like to see your pictures. Not sure how often you check your cameras?, but do you have much antler growth now?

I've been hearing rumors of some pretty decent bucks, here and there. Friend told me yesterday, he'd seen 4, he said all 4 were nice bucks. He lives in the next county up the creek, and as a rule there are some big deer killed up there.

I guess deer are about the same everywhere?, around here bucks will cluster up this time of year. (if there are enough to form a cluster) Years ago, there was one bunch, I forget but there were a dozen or more bucks running together. We don't have the deer today, number wise like we did back in the mid-80's. I think we are starting to see a few bigger bucks, but the deer don't have the hunting pressure on them now, like they did have. I'd guess, more than 80% of the bucks killed in this county are 18 months old, or less. Very few reach 3.5 years!

One thing I did notice, the picture of J's buck and the one that I posted, both bucks have a scruffy looking muzzle, kind of black looking.

I'll check the camera either today or tomorrow, maybe we'll be able to see some improvement? Maybe a fawn too.

Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. - 07/02/16 11:22 PM

The first three are pictures from last year of the same Buck. The last picture is the only one so far this year. I check my cameras about once a week. I've got a few pictures from this year .I"ll hunt them up.

Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. - 07/02/16 11:38 PM

Here are some pictures of antler growth.

Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. - 07/03/16 05:24 PM

Very good!

I changed SD cards today. Not sure, but I think this it probably the same buck that I posted a picture of before. ???

I did finally get a picture of a fawn. Also have a picture of one little buck, I'd guess him at 1 year, and his horns are the same length as the buck standing beside him, the other one has almost gotta be 2. And a picture of one buck with just one horn, on his right side. Seems like lots of fighting going on, have one picture of 2 bucks standing up like 2 goats getting ready to knock horns.

I moved my camera today, it's on the bigger tree on the left edge of the screen, still about the same distance, around 25'. Also smeared a dab of one of my favorite lures on the base of a tree, just behind the salt lick tree. You can't see it in the picture.

Also took a step-ladder, the camera is up right at 10' now. Kind of hard to tell, but I think it looks about right, should be on target for the salt lick and the lure. Hopefully get some pictures of stuff other than deer. The lure is about 18" above ground level. We'll see next time I change cards.

Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. - 07/03/16 11:58 PM

This is Moultries Panoramic camera. You can set it up for panoramic or just single photos. The third picture is the buck from in the earlier post and that was the last I saw him last year.

Redsnow your Stealth cam takes good pictures.I have got mine from Amazon and a place called Trailcampro. I have started using Camloc box security boxes and a Master Python lock. You just drive a couple of lag bolts in a tree.

Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. - 07/04/16 01:33 AM

Here look at these.

Wasn't sure how the pictures would load. Look at the bottom picture, all 3 are bucks, but look at the little dude. It's gotta be a year old, just guessing, he'll be lucky if he goes more than 80 pounds in November. Field dressed I mean.

Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. - 07/04/16 11:42 AM

We need to start a thread about deer management. I've been thinking about the buck deer you guys from Ohio are posting. Deer like those are probably somewhere around 1 in 100, maybe 1 in 200, in this part of WV.

We had a little discussion on facebook a while back, 2 or 3 guys from the WV DNR were involved. Someone else tried to tell me he managed his deer on just 15 acres. That's when I called BS.

Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. - 07/05/16 11:35 AM

This is where my camera is mounted now, it's right at 10' above ground level. It blends in pretty well. I moved it about 180* in relation to the salt lick, from where I did have it. It's pretty much facing south now.

Talking about security boxes, above I mentioned the guy using a solar charger for his trail cam. He's a maintenance man at a place across town, he made a batch of bear boxes, for his cameras. Hard to say what those cost the company? He showed me one, it was heavy duty!

He's got a camp back on the mountain and keeps his camera up year round. I forget, he told me one time he had something like 200 pictures, and all but 25 were of bear. Just a few of deer pictures.

Also know of one guy that made some bear boxes from old electrical boxes.

As far as keeping people from messing with your camera, or stealing it, my opinion it's best to hide it the best you can. Sad to say, but there are thieves out there!

Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. - 07/06/16 01:38 AM

My nephew lives on the west side of Cleveland, Ohio. The first picture is in his back yard. The second picture was across the street from his house. The deer on the right of the picture is a nice deer. The one on the left is huge!

Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. - 07/06/16 01:45 AM

The date on the picture is correct. It was towards the end of April when they were shed.
Redsnow how many deer with manes do you have?

Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. - 07/06/16 01:58 AM

When you use security boxes you need to be careful when you open them. Sometimes you have squatters. The strap is an inch wide.
Sent picture to a Professor at OSU. He said it was a Nursery Web Spider. The biggest hole in that box is about 3/8th of an inch.

Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. - 07/06/16 02:33 AM

Here's a buck that Mick shot last year. I think it was 4.5 years old, forget how many inches? That's a Maryland deer.

I don't recall ever seeing a deer with a mane. Deer get kind of scruffy looking in the summer. Hard to say, she may be nursing 2 fawns too.

Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. - 07/06/16 11:40 AM

I'm not sure if this is true or not? I've heard that if a buck is injured he won't lose his antlers. April 10th is late to still have last years antlers.

I remember 2 male deer that I've shot, thinking that it was a doe, but they'd already lost their antlers. That would have been in December.

I remember another buck that I shot years ago, I grabbed the horn on the top side and it popped off in my hand. That would have been December also. I could not get the other antler to break off, I had to saw it off.

I'll add more on this later, but one thing that really hurts our bucks is the percentage of male deer shot, thinking they were females.

Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. - 07/06/16 11:56 PM

Mick's deer would be a nice deer any where. Just think what he might have been with two more years of growth.

Pennsylvania changed there rules a few years ago. I not sure exactly what the rule was, but was basically you couldn't shoot spikes and fork horn deer. It was pretty controversial at the time. But after a few years they started seeing deer like Mick's. Then it wasn't such a bad idea.

One thing that will help antler growth is mineral blocks. I've started putting out the trophy rocks. They seem to really like them.

One thing I like about the cameras is seeing the behavior of different animals. As soon as I can figure out how to put a video on here I'll put some on.

Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. - 07/07/16 11:41 AM

I'll round up about 15 of my hunting buds and we'll drive the west side of Cleveland this fall. lol

I've heard of those "city" bucks!

Above I mentioned the facebook discussion we had a while back. The discussion was about size and/or point restrictions. The one guy is a big wheel in the DNR, the other guy is a small wheel. The smaller guy is young, in his prime and he's taken some nice bucks.

I forget the different stages, that hunters go through, 1 is the "shooter stage", then you soften up, and it's more of a "trophy" stage.

I'm at the same point as the "small wheel", I can live with size/point restrictions. But there are 2 ways of looking at it. My biggest concern is hunter recruitment. Last winter was mild, it wouldn't have made much difference, but you can't take a kid out day after day after day, and keep telling him/her: Nope, he's not legal.

Take a kid out like that 4 or 5 days in a row, when it's 15* and windy, first thing you know the little kid is going to say: Dad, I think I'll stay home today. And that's that!

The one property that I like to hunt, it's not that big alone, 440 acres, but the neighbors and us are all kind of in agreement, pass up the spikes, 4-points, small stuff. Yet if one of the kids or grand kids shoots their first buck, as far as I'm concerned they can shoot whatever they want. It's nice to see kids in the woods.

Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. - 07/08/16 11:41 AM

Thinking about Mick's buck, honestly I don't know when a wild deer would reach it's prime, biggest set of antlers. I'll bet there isn't 1 in 1,000 hunters that would pass up a good shot, at a buck of that size.

Thinking that a buck in the wild would make it 5.5 or 6.5 years old is asking a lot. Years ago the DNR set up a check in, weigh in and an age checking station, on a Westvaco property north of town. That was during an antlerless deer season. I talked to the DNR biologist at the time, the majority of the deer were 1.5 years old or less. He told me now and then, someone would bring in a big old doe, that would be over 5 or 6 years old. But very few.

All together that property is somewhere around 12,000 acres. That's big enough you could manage deer. Sad to say, that property has changed hands, now it's cluttered with million dollar homes. But there are some nice deer.

Above I mentioned the percentage of male deer harvested as females. WV laws consider anything with less than 3" of antler as an antlerless deer. So they are legal in doe season.

I'm ashamed to admit this, but between Moe and I, we killed 5 male deer for females, just in one season. I remember the 3 that I shot, and I'll bet Moe remembers the 2 he shot. Moe gave me hell, and I gave him hell.

I shot one with my open sighted, cap and ball gun. The deer's antlers were broken off almost flush with it's head.

I shot one with my pistol, it was a button buck. I couldn't see those little bumps.

I shot one with my rifle, it was a button buck. At that range I couldn't see those little bumps.

Moe and I, and whole bunch of us have talked about this before. It's just something in the back of your mind, and we'll remind each other from time to time, "Don't shoot any button bucks!"

More or less, that was just bad luck that season. The deer just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. - 07/09/16 11:43 AM

I'll add more about button bucks. My bud Wardney and I have hunted together for years, I've heard him say this a dozen times or more: "When you see just one deer out by itself, 9 times out of 10 it'll be a button buck".

I mean during late November and early December, give or take the peak of the deer rut. I doubt it'd be 90% of the time, but I agree, there is a good possibility that the deer will be a male.

I guess in a way it does make sense. The bigger bucks will chase it away from the females in heat.

But that's exactly what happened with the button buck I shot with my pistol, that season. I jumped the deer, it ran off and stopped behind the timber and let me get a good rest, then walked out in the wide open, broadside. Wardney will be the first to tell you that they are just stupid.

Guys, I was proud of myself at the shot, I knew I hit it hard. I remember I stepped it off, that was a pretty shot for me! Then I walked up to it and see it's little nut sack, then I'm kicking my own butt. Stuff happens.

Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. - 07/10/16 10:35 PM

This what Moultrie Panoramic will do taking regular photos. As the deer passes each motion sensor it will take pictures.
The subject has to move at slow pace. That is last winters Rye food plot in the back ground.

Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. - 07/11/16 01:26 AM

Hmmm, that's pretty neat. It's been a week since I've checked my camera, I'll wait another week. I've got one deer now that is, give or take, 15 or 16 inches wide, 6 point. Pretty sure it's the same deer, as my first picture at the top of the thread. It's got a scruffy looking muzzle. Looks like it's covered with flies too!

It's averaging 25 or so pictures per day.

J, compared to your buck, dated 7/08/16, I've got 3 or 4 that have more antler, as of the last check. I've got one picture with 6 or 7 bucks, so they are bunched up now.

I walked up to Wardney's illegal salt lick this morning, looks like he's got some kind of mineral salt block, sitting on top of the stump. It's one of those red salt blocks, trace mineral. The deer are working it hard it looks like, didn't see any there this morning at daylight, but lots of fresh tracks.

Been hearing lots of rumors about nice bucks here and there, but most of them are being seen right beside the highway. So you'd just as well figure about half of them will knock the grill out of someones vehicle.

Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. - 07/11/16 11:37 AM

Here's a picture dated 7/1/16. I cropped the picture so you can see it better, see how dark it's face is? And notice the black stuff on it's left shoulder, those are flies.

Side by side with the other bucks, this deer is a little bigger. Taller and has heavier.

Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. - 07/11/16 02:04 PM

Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. - 07/11/16 02:06 PM

The first picture is this years crop of turkeys.

The second picture just above center is a Mink.

What's your guess on the third.

Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. - 07/12/16 11:30 AM

My first thought would be a bobcat. One nice thing about having in on the computer where you can zoom in.

The other day when I was talking with the DNR officer, he was telling me that sometimes bobcats would walk right up to his cameras. I've read about all of the different types of "flashes" on trail cams, some are a "red no glow" or something like that? But he was taking videos.

Honestly, I've never looked at my camera in the dark, I'm not sure if the flash is visible to the human or bobcat eye? If it is I'd say you'd need to be looking directly at it, when it flashed. Not sure?

Wasn't sure about the mink, thought maybe a crow. Nice hatch of turkey chicks, if that's all from one hen.

I'd like to have another camera, maybe 2. There is a little spring, back on the side of the mountain, I'd like to have one watching it. That's the first place I set up my old trail cam. It's a long way from there to the next drink of water, it's a hot spot.

Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. - 07/12/16 10:28 PM

The camera I have taking videos is to the right of the mink, and I have video of him running past.

The last one, Bobcat was my guess too. That camera is about four feet off the ground.

Had video of the turkeys too, and that was one hen.

Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. - 07/12/16 10:34 PM

Redsnow,

Remember reading up above that I had 2 cameras stolen this past fall? Well, I just ordered a Stealth G42-NG trail cam on line from Jet.com. The price was about $115. no tax and free shipping. I think that is the one you have and it seems to work great. So---thanks!

Ron

Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. - 07/13/16 11:44 AM

Well, I think for the price, it'll do the job for you! All of the pictures above are plenty sharp enough. If we can zoom in and see flies on a deer at 25', and we're getting mink and squirrels at the same range, that's pretty good.

Ron, I went back up and looked at your pictures, remember the big bear coming out the path? The way that camera is mounted, there's no way a man/thief could walk that path and not see that camera.

Lots of different ways of trying to hide something. But in that situation, I'd try to find a little opening, and set the camera off to the side 15 or 20 feet, watching the trail. Could even nail on a little branch up around the camera. Someone just walking the trail, wouldn't be likely to notice it.

It is pretty neat to check, sort of like catch and release hunting or trapping.

Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. - 07/13/16 01:20 PM

Thanks, Redsnow. I will try to conceal the camera better from now on. And, yes----checking the cameras is much like checking traps. Very enjoyable!

Ron

Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. - 07/13/16 02:48 PM

And like traps, you're taking your chances when you leave them out during deer season. smile -- Hal

Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. - 07/13/16 03:56 PM

Yes, Hal! I shall remember that advice! It's kinda like the barn door and the horse story.

Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. - 07/14/16 01:11 AM

Looking forward to seeing those pictures.

Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. - 07/14/16 11:41 AM

Me too.

Losing a trail cam would be about like losing a dozen traps, all at once! I get PO'd pretty good over just 1 trap!

Been thinking about this, I really believe height above the ground would be your best defense, as far as theft. Off to the side of the trail, and above eye level.

Think about it today while you're out walking around, we just don't notice stuff above our heads, like we do objects from eye level down.

When I'm deer hunting, I hardly ever look up in trees.

Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. - 07/15/16 05:10 PM

A few more:

That bear is rubbing his back on a Spruce tree!

Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. - 07/15/16 06:04 PM

In the above picture of the bear getting a back rub----my camera was about 5' above the ground and pointed straight forward. That means the camera is about level with the critters front legs/shoulder area. So---that big boy is an easy 7 to 8' tall to the top of his head. I hike on that trail, unarmed, quite often. I do hope I don't see this guy in person when he is in a bad mood or hungry or feeling romantic! This location is also good for Fisher. When I can still walk in there in the winter [ before the snow gets too deep ] there are usually a lot of fisher tracks.

Ron

Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. - 07/15/16 06:14 PM

AND.....

After this picture, the camera was pointed in a different direction. I think this bear either took a swipe at the camera, or moved it with its nose. Luckily, the camera was still attached to the tree and not demolished. I had put some skunky call lure in a tree crevice about 15' in front of the camera. Apparently, that odor attracted this bear.

Ron

Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. - 07/15/16 09:48 PM

Nice pics!

Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. - 07/15/16 09:50 PM

Sometimes we talking about coyote pelts not filling out between the shoulders. Just look at that one.

Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. - 07/15/16 10:48 PM

Ron, what model is the Cuddeback camera?

Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. - 07/16/16 12:12 AM

Thank you Hal!! These pictures make me want to go boil my traps and get some Coyote sets out!!

I honestly don't know what model the Cuddeback was, because it has now been stolen and I can't remember anymore. I bought it through Cabellas, a few years ago and it was a simple one, but it worked good.

Redsnow-- my new Stealth G42-NG was delivered today. I sat in the post office parking lot and opened the box to see what else I needed. Then, off to the local drug store for 8, double A batteries and a new SD card. Came home and read directions and set it up [ I think ]---I chose the Q3 setting which does videos and audio. I also went on the CUSTOM setting and set the date/time thing. I had to change it to EASTERN time--because it was factory set on CENTRAL time. The camera is now on a tree, near my house, on my land, where Turkeys have been feeding and dusting. Gonna wait a couple days and see what I see.

When I was a kid, there were a lot of Ringneck Pheasants around here. I used to come home from school, in October, and Dad was picking corn and I grabbed my shotgun and went Pheasant hunting. The Pheasants used to make "bowl shaped" depressions in the dirt at the end of the corn fields and flutter around and kick up dust---which I think helped them remove oils, bugs, and whatever else--from their feathers. I have now seen that Turkeys do the same thing. Hopefully, the new camera will take a picture of that.

Ron

Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. - 07/16/16 12:17 AM

Hal----one more thing. Even a fully furred Coyote seems to have that spot, behind its shoulders, where the fur/hair starts to grow in a different direction. There always seems to be a "bald" spot--and then the fur points straight back. I have had some tanned and they all look like that. Why is that?

Ron

Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. - 07/16/16 02:13 AM

These are interesting pictures. As you can see by the time/date stamps, the Red Fox was enjoying eating on the deer carcass. Then, it appears that he was aware of a visitor. In the last picture, I think the Skunk gave the Fox a good shot of essence---notice how the Fox has its face turned to the side like something very unpleasant just wacked him right on the side of his face.

Ron

Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. - 07/16/16 11:01 PM

Another Red Fox that looks like he got too close to the Skunk and got nailed.
Couple of Reds dining together.
Nice Spring Coyote.
Posted by: musher

Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. - 07/17/16 12:14 AM

Camera story for you. I have a few set up on my woodlots. The last time I messed with them was spring. I walked a woodlot with my wife and took a couple home because the batteries were dead. They had spent the winter in the bush.

Coming home the snow was softer and I reset one in a different location on a firmer trail.

I hadn't gone there in a couple of months and this week i went back. I couldn't find where i had moved the camera. I finally found it today. It was WAY higher than I was looking. It makes sense due to the snow. It also had about 6000 photos. Most of them were of leaves ..... moving in the wind. I had put the camera on a mountain maple. Thee were no leaves when I installed the camera.

Photos of deer and of a few moose. One good shot of a young calf with mama.

I also had videos. They were from when I moved the camera. One is of a deer examining the lens. Another is of a cow moose and her calf during hunting season. She came out an hour after my wife and I walked by.

You guys seem to have much clearer woods than I. There is always something waving in front of my cameras to cause an empty shot.
I'd post them but there are too many to go through to find the good ones to post.

Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. - 07/17/16 01:17 AM

Musher,

I have had tons of pictures and videos of moving leaves too. I now point the camera north or south so I don't catch rising/setting sun, which causes glare. And, I take a small pair of brush clippers with me, to snip all the leaves/branches off in an area in front of the camera. It has not completely solved the problem, but it has helped.

Ron

Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. - 07/17/16 11:34 AM

I've looked at and studied every picture on this thread, just looking for detail.

Ron's Cudde/back does take nice crisp pictures! That's a high dollar camera, and I guess one of them that some sob thief took home!

Part of my job here at work is "asset protection", I'm always on the lookout for thieves! I'll start another thread about that, before long. To avoid theft, you've gotta think like a thief.

But I want you to go back and look at Ron's picture dated 2/25/11. Notice the way the snow is all tracked up, 2 or 3 deer carcasses laying there beside the road, and nothing but daylight between the camera and the road. And that one deer leg sticking up like a flag.

Anyone walking or driving that 2-track would spot all that stuff in a minute. Even if it's private property, behind a locked gate, that's not a very safe spot for a camera. If someone is trespassing and they see the camera facing them, they're going to think "Man, I'm gonna catch hell now", so what are they going to do? That camera is gone.

I'd like to see one of you guys buy one of the cameras sold by Browning, so we can compare pictures. After watching the DNR officer's video from his Browning camera, I was impressed! Next time I talk to Lee, I'm going to ask him to get me a copy of all of his videos, from this bobcat DNA study. I'm sure he's got them all on DVD. That was interesting, he showed me one with a civet too.

Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. - 07/22/16 11:40 AM

The smaller tree on the left, behind the deer is where I put my castor lure. The camera is facing pretty much South, above we were talking about having "empty" pictures, I had a lot more this time. Not sure if the sun/shadows would cause that or not? I think the camera was up 17 days, and I only had 160 pictures. I didn't get it angled just right, and I think I have it too close to the trail. Going to back it up another 15 or 20 feet the next time up.

I've got pictures of 2 or 3 spike bucks, with maybe 4 inch spikes. Several pictures of fawns, you can tell they are really kicking up their heels. Didn't get any good pictures of the buck with the scruffy looking face, but I think he's going to top out as a 6 point. I do have pictures of one little 8 point. The ground is so dry, other than deer I couldn't track anything.

Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. - 07/23/16 02:41 PM

These are excellent quality photos. A far cry from early trail cameras.

Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. - 07/25/16 08:44 PM

Here are some pictures from a Browning Strike Force camera.

The first two pictures show about one month of antler growth.

Third picture I call him Lucky, three legs no tail. Been around a couple of years.

The fourth picture this years crop of turkeys well on their way.

Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. - 07/26/16 12:29 PM

J., those are all nice crisp pictures. What model Strike Force camera do you have? I just checked online, they start at $110.

Honestly, all of the pictures above IMO are plenty sharp enough.

Let me ask, you can see your pictures better on your computer than we can. In your opinion, has the "spread" of the bigger buck's main beams increased much over a months time?

I'm not sure how that works?

But I don't think that's the same buck that "came up missing" from your picture dated 9/5/15.

I've been thinking about nailing up a yardstick, so we can get an accurate measurement.

Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. - 07/26/16 06:07 PM

He has gained a little in spread, mostly mass and tine length. It's not the same buck. I got video of him the same day he's bigger than last year.
The model number is Browning BTC-5HD

Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. - 07/26/16 06:19 PM

Here's a picture from last year.

Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. - 07/27/16 01:03 PM

All of these pictures are good. I checked online, that model Browning is priced at 140. That was pretty much my price range, $150 or less, by the time you get 2 SD cards and batteries, that's about it. I'm not going to spend $400 and stick it to a tree, I don't trust folks that much!

Well, J., you have different cameras, do you have a favorite? Is one brand easier to use than the others?

Musher, what brand of cameras do you like best? With cameras out in cold weather, what's your preference? Pros and cons?

I just have one Stealth camera, honestly, for the price I feel I've got my monies worth. Thinking about it now, it's been out 4 months, on one set of batteries, not sure how many pictures it's taken? More than a thousand!

J. I've been looking at your picture dated 6/21/16, comparing it to my first picture on this thread, dated 6/22/16. I checked, Fairfield Co, OH, is near the center of Ohio, a little North of me. Looking at the picture from 7/18/16. Looks to me like your biggest buck is just about finished growing, maybe a little more tine length yet?

I'm not familiar with Ohio deer hunting regulations, but around here a buck like him would be VERY lucky to survive 3 days of our rifle buck season. Now that crossbows are legal in the archery season, he's doomed!

Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. - 07/27/16 08:02 PM

I have an Amazon Prime membership that gives you discounts on some items and free shipping. I paid 109.00 for the Browning camera.
They have your Stealth camera for 114.95. They have a large selection of trail cameras in inventory. Some brands I have never heard of.
I've got security boxes and cable locks on most of my cameras.

From what I saw in my pictures last year, they started grow more mass later in the summer.

The first Browning camera I bought was in November 2015. It's been out the hole time and is showing fifty percent charge. It uses six AA batteries.

I'm Not trying to say what I'm doing is the best way to go. Just trying to give my experience with the cameras I have. There has got to be some more people on this board with some different cameras for us to see.

As far as survival in hunting season, I would say that in a 3/4 mile radius all the property has had the timber cut so It's pretty thick.

Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. - 07/27/16 08:05 PM

I'm not fussy about brand names. I buy what is on sale. If I can get one for $75-80, and it doesn't need a zillion batteries, I'll buy it. Moultrie is the one I have the most of (4). I had a Spypoint but it broke.

I'm not looking for a quality photograph. I want to see what is making the hooved tracks.

If it gets really cold, the batteries stop working and you don't ge any photos. But when it warms up, the pictures resume. I've gotten many photos in winter. Batteries can last a surprisingly long time. I change batteries about once a year. Admittedly, often enough the camera has stopped operating by the time I get to changing the batteries.

Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. - 07/28/16 11:41 AM

I moved my camera back to the other tree yesterday. Notice how I had it angled wrong, I wanted it angled higher. I don't have a way to check the pictures in the woods, but as soon as I looked at them here on the computer, I knew it was off this time even worse!

But you can see the fawns are just learning to run, just playing.

I'm sure we do have other members with trail cameras, it would be nice if they'd add their input. Pros and cons of different cameras, etc.

Ron, the man from NY should be giving us a report before long.

Talking about survival rates, a buck like the one J. posted above, in this part of the WV, I'll be generous and put his odds of seeing New Years Day 2017 at 1 in 100.

Our archery season comes in early, crossbows are legal. We have a 2 week rifle deer season starting the week of Thanksgiving, then a week of muzzle loader deer season, scoped inline guns are legal. Sad to say, but with a buck like J's, you've gotta add in the "Outlaw factor" too.

WV offers some very tough penalties for illegal actions!

Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. - 08/04/16 08:10 PM

Here are Ohio's Regulations.

White-tailed Deer Hunting

Species

Opening Date

Closing Date

Daily Bag Limit

Archery September 24, 2016 February 5, 2017 Refer to the Deer Hunting Section for details on zone and bag limits.
Deer Youth Gun
November 19, 2016
November 20, 2016

Gun
November 28, 2016
December 4, 2016

December 17, 2016
December 18, 2016

Muzzleloader
January 7, 2017
January 10, 2017

Legal Deer Hunting Equipment

Archery Season
Longbow or Bow: Minimum draw weight 40 pounds. This includes compound bows and recurve bows. The arrow tip needs a minimum of two cutting edges, which may be exposed or unexposed and a minimum 3/4-inch width. Expandable and mechanical broadheads are legal.

Crossbow: Minimum draw weight 75 pounds. The arrow tip needs a minimum of two cutting edges, which may be exposed or unexposed and a minimum 3/4-inch width. Expandable and mechanical broadheads are legal.

Gun Season and Youth Gun Season
Shotgun: 10 gauge or smaller shotgun using one ball or one rifled slug per barrel (rifled shotgun barrels are permitted when using shotgun slug ammunition).

Muzzleloading rifle: .38 caliber or larger.

Muzzleloading shotgun: 10 gauge or smaller using one ball per barrel.

Handgun: With 5-inch minimum length barrel, using straight-walled cartridges .357 caliber or larger.

Straight-walled cartridge rifles in the following calibers: .357 Magnum, .357 Maximum, .38 Special, .375 Super Magnum, .375 Winchester, .38-55, .41 Long Colt, .41 Magnum, .44 Special, .44 Magnum, .444 Marlin, .45 ACP, .45 Colt, .45 Long Colt, .45 Winchester Magnum, .45 Smith & Wesson, .450 Marlin, .454 Casull, .460 Smith & Wesson, .45-70, .45-90, .45-110, .475 Linebaugh, .50-70, .50- 90, .50-100, .50-110, and .500 Smith & Wesson.
Shotguns and straight-walled cartridge rifles can be loaded with no more than three shells in the chamber and magazine combined.

Archery equipment: See Archery Season, above.

Muzzleloader Season
Muzzleloading rifle: .38 caliber or larger.

Muzzleloading shotgun: 10 gauge or smaller using one ball per barrel.

Archery equipment: See Archery Season, above.

You can carry only one HUNTING implement while hunting deer.

Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. - 08/05/16 02:29 AM

Hmmm, it's been years since I've read Ohio's hunting regulations. I was thinking that you couldn't use a center fire rifle.

We can start another thread about crossbows. Last season was the first year that crossbows were legal here in WV, for the average sportsman. Honestly, I've heard lots of bad things. Seems like some folks thought that their crossbow would knock over a deer like their 30-06. It's still a bow, and you've got to hit vitals!

Ohio does have long deer seasons too.

I forget, if I'd buy all of my stamps, and extra tags, I'd be legal to kill about 9 deer per season. That's archery, rifle muzzle loader.

I sell hunting licenses here at work, last fall a non-resident stopped by one morning, he bought every tag and stamp available to him, his license total was exactly $500.

Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. - 08/05/16 01:39 PM

Ohio adopted straight wall centerfires last season. Crossbows have been legal here for ever. We do have a pretty long season, but a few years back we had TOO MANY deer in Ohio. I believer they have trimmed the herd. -- Hal

Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. - 08/06/16 11:39 AM

Back when I first started hunting, our deer season lasted 2 weeks, bucks only, and the season limit was 1. We didn't have a doe season.

I'll check the regulations later today, but now our doe season is over 3 weeks long.

Talking about these straight-walled centerfire guns, I know a couple of guys that deer hunt with these Ruger "ranch guns", in a 44 Rem. Mag. Wardney has one that he'll take out now and then, if he's really serious, he'll take out a real gun.

I guess the old Sharp's blackpowder Buffalo guns would qualify as a straight-walled. They would give you folks in Ohio more range, would need to rainbow that big hunk of lead in on the target.

My bud Moe set up his trail cam the other day, his Moultrie pics look good too. He's got one spike with about 4" of horn, so far.

Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. - 08/07/16 06:14 PM

.45-70's are selling like hotcakes

Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. - 08/08/16 11:40 AM

Here's one thing that I found.

Specific straight-walled cartridge rifles are legal for use during Ohio’s 2014 deer-gun and youth deer-gun seasons.

These specific straight-walled cartridge rifles are legal for deer hunting: .357 Magnum, .357 Maximum, .38 Special, .375 Super Magnum, .375 Winchester, .38-55, .41 Long Colt, .41 Magnum, .44 Special, .44 Magnum, .444 Marlin, .45 ACP, .45 Colt, .45 Long Colt, .45 Winchester Magnum, .45 Smith & Wesson, .454 Casull, .460 Smith & Wesson, .45-70, .45-90, .45-110, .475 Linebaugh, .50-70, .50-90, .50-100, .50-110 and .500 Smith & Wesson. Shotguns and straight-walled cartridge rifles may have no more than three shells in the magazine and chamber combined while deer hunting.

Ohio’s 2014-2015 deer hunting seasons include:
• Archery: Sept. 27, 2014-Feb. 1, 2015.
• Antlerless muzzleloader: Oct. 11-12, 2014.
• Youth gun: Nov. 22-23, 2014.
• Gun: Dec. 1-7, 2014.
• Muzzleloader: Jan. 2-5, 2015.

I just checked, Thompson Center does offer some of those calibers in their Encore/Pro hunter models.

Looking at the archery season, that's 4 months.

I understand the reasoning for Ohio's rifle laws, but here in West Virginia the DNR has been having "controlled hunts" on some of our state parks and WMA's, and they'll specify that you need to be at least 10 feet above ground level.

I've read through the paperwork, way too much BS just to go hunting! I read one thing last fall, the DNR specified which tree you had to hunt from! The permits were issued through a drawing, lots of red tape.

Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. - 08/08/16 04:55 PM

My daughter lives in Maryland, close to DC. There a deer everywhere because they have some regulation that you have to leave so much, "undeveloped" land around the sprawling condominiums. The state owns a lot of that land. It is designated "park" by very loose definition. They also have controlled hunts on that land. As you mentioned, they have to hunt from a raised platform so all the shots quickly land on the ground. Furthermore in some, if not all of these hunts, they are required to shoot buckshot. In the fall you will see signs posted all over the place that the park will be closed on such and such days, to allow for these hunts.

Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. - 08/08/16 10:19 PM

Here's one of the emails that the DNR sent me last fall.

Applications being accepted for two controlled deer hunts in 2015:
Pipestem Resort State Park and Cacapon Resort State Park

SOUTH CHARLESTON, W.Va. – Applications are being accepted for controlled deer hunts at two West Virginia state parks in 2015. Controlled white-tailed deer hunts are scheduled at Pipestem Resort State Park (Summers County) Nov. 16, 17, 18 and at Cacapon Resort State Park (Morgan County) Dec. 7, 8, 9.

Monitoring of the deer population and surveys conducted by wildlife and state parks personnel revealed a high deer density on these state park properties, according to Bob Fala, Director of the West Virginia Division of Natural Resources (DNR). “When you have too many deer in one area, there is not enough available vegetation for them to browse, which affects the health of the entire deer population in that area,” Fala explained. “The results of previous controlled hunts have proven to be a responsible resource management tool.”

Cooperative efforts among the DNR Parks and Recreation, Wildlife, and Law Enforcement sections have proven these special hunts to be safe and successful during previous events.

“Overpopulation of the white-tailed deer herd is an ongoing challenge facing the state park system,” said West Virginia State Parks Chief Sam England. “This method of population control has been used in some West Virginia state parks since 2001. The positive effects of these hunts on the surrounding vegetation and the herds’ health have become apparent.”

Applications for the controlled hunts are available at www.wvhunt.com. Each applicant must, if they have not already, create an account on the Electronic Licensing and Game Checking System. Once logged in, the applicant must select “Enter Lottery.” The applicant then must select which controlled hunt(s) for which they would like to apply. Hunters also may apply by calling Pipestem Resort State Park at 304-466-2804, or Cacapon Resort State Park at 304-258-1022. However, the most efficient method of applying for the controlled hunt is by using www.wvhunt.com, which allows for 24/7 access to the application process.

Applications must be completed by midnight on Aug. 15, 2015. Forty hunters will be randomly selected for each day at Pipestem Resort State Park and 30 hunters each day for Cacapon Resort State Park. Two Class Q (hunting permit for persons disabled in lower extremities) stands are available each day. Successful applicants will be notified after Oct. 1 for the date they were selected to hunt.

Unsuccessful applicants will not be notified. Applicants may check to see if they were selected by logging into the Electronic Licensing and Game Checking System after Aug. 17. For additional information, contact Pipestem Resort State Park at 304-466-2804 or Cacapon Resort State Park at 304-258-1022.

Application Information

Hunters may apply to hunt on one or both of the state parks, but will only be able to apply for one lottery hunt for each area. Each hunter may take one deer at each hunt. Deer harvested do not count against a hunter’s annual deer season bag limit.

Only antlerless deer may be taken during this hunt, except that each day of the hunt an on-site lottery will be held which will allow up to five hunters to hunt a deer of either sex. Instructions on the application must be followed. All applications must be received through the electronic applications system before midnight Aug. 15, 2015.

Applicants must select which lottery hunt they want to participate in: rifle, archery (bow/crossbow), or Class Q. Hunters must possess a valid Class Q permit to apply for the Class Q slots. Each hunter, except Class Q holders, MUST provide their own climbing tree stand. Ladder stands will not be permitted due to the limited room during transportation. Lock-on stands will be permitted as long as strap-on style steps or ladder sticks are used. Screw-in steps will not be permitted. Tree stands must be adjustable to trees up to 18 inches in diameter. Hunters must hunt from the designated trees to which they are assigned.

Agency personnel will transport hunters from the registration area to their stand locations. All hunters must provide and wear a safety harness while in the tree stand. All hunters, even those hunting with archery (bows/crossbows) must wear a minimum of 400 square inches of blaze orange.

Each hunter must possess a valid West Virginia hunting license (or be legally exempt from purchasing a license) on the day of the hunt. Successful applicants for this hunt will be contacted with more detailed information regarding this controlled hunt. Unsuccessful applicants will be eligible for a lottery drawing the morning of the hunt to fill “no show” sites. Those wishing to enter the morning lottery must arrive and register at the registration area between 5 and 5:45 a.m. to be entered into the lottery.

West Virginia Division of Natural Resources hunting regulations will apply to this hunt. The 2015 hunting regulations brochures will be available soon at license agents and online at www.wvdnr.gov .

***DNR***

I first read that email 7/6/2015. Cacapon State Park is 90 miles from here, and Pipestem is even farther away. I like to hunt new areas, check out new ground and all, but when the DNR specifies which tree that I need to be in, that's a little bit too much! I might not like that spot. But I understand that they don't want anyone hurt, and I understand that some people don't have better places to hunt. But, a little organization would go a long way, as far as thinning the deer herd.

If you'd have 30 people, fifteen hunting through the woods, 150 yards apart and 15 watching, more than likely someone is going to get a shot. Fifteen hunters, 100 yards apart would make a swath almost a mile wide. Drive 200 acres, and switch off, watchers hunt through the next time.

The one hunt club that I belong to, that's what we do, Saturday of the first week of season. Guess it's about 1,500 acres, but we'll shake them up! At least get them up on their feet, and moving.

Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. - 08/09/16 07:21 PM

I'm sure this is a safety first deal. But it does look like you have to spring for a "climbing tree stand" to participate. If your DNR is going to be so fussy, and they need the deer killed, maybe they should provide the stands.

Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. - 08/10/16 11:39 AM

I agree it's a safety issue. I'm not familiar with either one of these state parks, but it's a good thing that at least the DNR and Park folks open them up for hunting, even if there are a ton of restrictions.

If a man would live there close by, and didn't have any other place to hunt, sounds like you'd have a good chance at tagging a nice doe.

http://www.cacaponresort.com/

At 6,000 acres, with zero hunting pressure for years and years, good chance there are some decent bucks too.

I've been getting reports of some nice bucks being spotted. I'm anxious to check my camera, it is pretty neat!

Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. - 08/10/16 07:36 PM

zero hunting pressure for years and years

Might be a chance to shoot some big deer that ain't fit to eat too. smile smile

Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. - 08/11/16 02:11 AM

I remember years ago, my old buddy Rabbit and a bunch of us were out doe hunting. Rabbit said there was an old doe that walked up to him, he said her neck was 3 feet long, figured she'd be tough as a pine knot. So he didn't blast her.

3 or 4 weeks ago, the DNR started issuing "crop damage permits", in this area. Friend of mine got 3 permits, for his sweet corn patch, DNR restricted him to using a bow. He lives in a little "development".

I've shot a good many deer on crop damage permits, it's too hot now to mess with them. Depending on the situation, sometimes it's legal to spotlight deer, I've always preferred to hunt at daylight, maybe until 9am or so.

But talking about these big, old, and tough deer, I shot one a few years ago, for a female, she was a horse! I wrote it down someplace, I forget what her tenderloins weighed each? They were huge! And very tasty!

But, you know this time of year, a fresh tenderloin on the grill sounds good to me!

Kind of a difficult subject to talk about, some folks don't agree with crop damage permits. But, after looking at things from the farmers point of view, you've got to do something.

Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. - 08/12/16 02:10 AM

Not sure if you could call that a "mane" on the deer on the left? But look at the ribs on the doe on the right of the picture. Her fawn(s) are pulling her down. The fawns look like a set of twins, and a single.

I didn't get many pictures this time. Moe's camera is about a half mile from mine, he got a picture of a small bear on 8/10.

Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. - 08/19/16 11:40 AM

I checked my trail camera yesterday, I have a picture of 6 different bucks, all in one photo.

I have an 8-point, I think he's about finished growing. Then there is a deer beside the 8pt, it's got 4 points now, but it looks like he's going to grow another point, on both sides.

I've suspected this for the last few weeks, I'm pretty sure my bud Moe has been screwing with my camera. I think he's been changing SD cards, I'm not getting pictures on some days.

He's been working outta town since Tuesday, yesterday I put a padlock on the camera. I'll bet that I'll have Moe on camera next check. It's a heck of a note! lol

Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. - 08/20/16 11:30 AM

Here's the 8-pt and the 4 pt. Notice the little "nubs" at the tip of each point, of the 4 point. I'd say his antlers are still growing.

They're all bucks in this picture. The one facing to the right

Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. - 08/20/16 11:43 AM

Seems like my computer locked up on me for a minute.

They're all bucks in this picture, pretty sure the deer facing to the right, is the 6-point with the black looking face. Side by side with the other bucks, he's just a little bit bigger and huskier deer. That's the best picture of him I got this time.

I expect Moe to call before Monday, and ask about the padlock. Hehe.

Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. - 08/23/16 09:09 PM

Here's a picture Moe sent me.

Maybe 120# or so?

Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. - 08/23/16 09:13 PM

Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. - 08/24/16 11:42 AM

The last picture I posted, from Moe's camera is a mommy coon and 4 little ones. Just thinking, that old pine snag is somewhere around 12 or 14 inches at the stump. I guess coons grow fast like a puppy, but they're not very big now.

Next time I go up, I'll take my saw and drop that pole. The snag is broken off about 3 feet up, deer might be a little bit shy about walking into a spot like that, almost like being up against a wall.

Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. - 08/24/16 11:41 PM

http://i1253.photobucket.com/albums/hh596/jmbloom3/IMAG0504_zpsgblzmnte.jpg
http://i1253.photobucket.com/albums/hh596/jmbloom3/IMAG0503_zps1budvbqb_1.jpg
http://i1253.photobucket.com/albums/hh596/jmbloom3/IMAG0502_zpsqpworkfe_2.jpg
http://i1253.photobucket.com/albums/hh596/jmbloom3/IMAG0500_zpsg14zeygs_1.jpg
http://i1253.photobucket.com/albums/hh596/jmbloom3/IMAG0501_zpsmob0qltm_1_1.jpg

Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. - 08/24/16 11:44 PM

These are pictures of the camlock box security box that I use.

Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. - 08/25/16 11:41 AM

Looks like you've got your camera mounted down knee high or so.

People around here have a lot of trouble with bear messing with their cameras. My bud Moe sent me several pictures the other day, far as we know it was the bear that knocked his camera a little bit out of kilter. It wasn't cocked over 45*, but almost. He told me that it's not scratched up or anything, and he squared it up again.

I've been looking at my pictures, side by side in different areas, and from different trees. I'm not sure, but it seems to me that my motion detector is only picking up stuff, from about mid-screen down.

If you look at the first picture that I posted, top of the thread, before I was getting pictures of deer, back in that little ditch/hollow past the salt lick. Seems like now, every picture that I get, there is something between the salt lick tree and the camera.

I'm going to drop the camera back down, to about 8 feet, and try to get it angled in again. I've noticed my field of view is a little bit smaller than before.

Anxious to go check my camera, bet you $100 I've have Moe on camera. He called the other day. lol

Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. - 08/25/16 11:29 PM

You can see the camera in the top right corner of the first picture. It's only about a foot off the ground.
the second picture shows the field of view. You can see the other camera just above the Fawns back. I've got my cameras any where from a foot to five feet above the ground. I need to look for a place to mount one high like yours Redsnow and see what I get.

Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. - 08/26/16 11:42 AM

Well, I'm going to drop my camera down, to where I can change SD cards while standing on a milk crate. Biggest reason that I put it up 10 feet, I was just messing with Moe.

Some of my pictures do almost look like aerial photos.

Somewhere above I mentioned my camera was driving Moe crazy, he'd call every other day, or send me a message, and ask when I was going to check my camera. The fart was changing SD cards on me. I'd get 3 days worth of pictures, he'd get 4. lol

Years ago I came up with the theory that buck deer pretty much reach their peak, when the apples get ripe. Just noticed last week, the apples across the road are started to turn red. A guy told me years ago, that antlers should be hard after Labor Day. So they're about finished growing.

I've been hearing rumors about some nice bucks in the area. My stock boy showed me pictures of a nice buck, he took the pictures the other morning on the way to school. Standing there 30 feet from the road, let him tinker around and get 4 pictures with his cell phone camera.

The mail man told me that a log truck smacked a "helluva 10-point" on up the road. I'd been hearing rumors of 2 really nice bucks in that area. Down to 1 now.

Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. - 08/27/16 02:19 AM

Here's a picture that Moe emailed today. Notice the deer's body language. Tail tucked in, ears folded back, he's spooked!

I'll drop that pole the next time I'm up, give them a little bit more security.

I might have time tomorrow to check my camera? Figure I'll have a few Moe pics. lol

Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. - 08/27/16 04:13 PM

Here are a few pictures from today's camera check, in 10 days I got 80 pictures.

As well as I can tell, the deer behind and to the left of the tree, is the 6-point (that did have the dark face). Compared to the deer on the right, he's a little bit bigger, heavier. The deer on the left has 6 points, the other 2 have 8-points.

I'll guess this is the little Dude, on the right that I mentioned above. Tiny little deer.

Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. - 08/27/16 04:14 PM

Here you can see the other 2 bucks a little better, notice the color difference.

Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. - 08/28/16 12:49 AM

Awesome pictures!!!

Ron

Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. - 08/28/16 01:05 AM

[img]http://i1253.photobucket.com/albums/hh596/jmbloom3/th_IMG_0003%202_zps0xrsrbui.mp4[/img]

Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. - 08/28/16 01:05 AM

This from todays check.

Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. - 08/28/16 10:55 AM

I looked at my pictures again, notice the extra little point, on it's left beam. Now we'll be able to keep track of him. 9 points total.

The mailman stopped by last evening, told me the big buck everyone has been seeing was standing in the field when he drove past. That's the deer my stock boy, showed me pictures of.

I'll tell you the situation there, you've got the river and corn fields, on one side of the road, and woods on the other side of the road. If he's crossing that road 2 times per day, he won't last long!

Just looked at the deer on the left, not sure? It might only have 7 points? The bucks stayed around the salt lick for 12 minutes that day.

Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. - 08/30/16 12:26 AM

It isn't the deer that get me going. It's how clear the bush is. Your woods are like a back yard.

Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. - 08/30/16 06:18 PM

It depends on where you are, I can take you places where you could get an honest 200 yard shot, I mean on the ground and through the timber, not ridge to ridge. And I can take you places where you'd be lucky to get a shot at 25 feet. Some places only 10 feet.

This property was timbered years ago, not sure exactly when? I guess you'd call it either "2nd growth" timber, maybe 3rd growth. ???

Never thought about it till your comment, more than likely gypsy moths killed the "salt lick" tree. If you get out on a point, where you can see ridge to ridge, it's nothing to count 50 or 75 dead oak snags. The moths worked on our timber!

Friends and I have talked about it, you just can't find an oak sapling the thickness of your thumb. Maybe new sprouts are shaded out? Might be the thick leaf ground cover?

There is some good timber on the property above, really it should be harvested. Some white oaks that will go for veneer logs, walnut, hemlock and a few pines that would be worth cutting. Lots of pulp wood after the ice storm.

I'm thinking about one property that was clear-cut, 12 or 15 years ago, it's like a jungle now. Good game cover, but you could't fight your way through the mess of sticker bushes.

Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. - 09/02/16 11:42 AM

Well, talked to the mailman yesterday, he was telling me that some of the buck deer have already scrubbed off their velvet.

I think the mailman's route is about 60 miles long, round trip. He's out and about early in the morning, prime time to see critters. And also gives me a report about fox and coon too. Reliable source of info. Also have the "Mail Girl", her route is in a different area, and 2 or 3 local truck drivers. They put on the miles, and do the scouting for me.

I've been showing the deer pictures to some of my friends, it's all private land around here. Seems like the bear are messing with a lot of cameras. One guy told me that he wears rubber gloves when putting up his cameras.

Looks like our deer are just about finished growing antler. They'll split up before long. Hopefully we'll get some pictures when they start rubbing off the velvet.

Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. - 09/02/16 09:25 PM

This may be of interest. In Ohio, at one time, the DOW enlisted the rural mail carriers to do a "critter count" at certain times of the year. The rural mail carriers were so of the best "field ops" they had.
Posted by: FLSH ETR

Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. - 09/02/16 11:50 PM

Sort of like our building code officials, during the winter months, relying on the grave diggers and the P.O.W.T.S. installers to tell how deep the frost is.

Frank.

Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. - 09/03/16 11:43 AM

I've never heard of that, but it makes sense. Mail carriers put on a lot of miles, 6 days per week.

I get some good information from the guys that work on the trash truck too. They're always on the lookout for game. I've got a couple customers that live up in the next county, that work here in town, good info from them too. I usually see the school bus driver once or twice a week, good info from her too.

There's a story in the newspaper, the DNR is doing a deer population study now, they are spotlighting deer from the roads.

Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. - 09/03/16 11:37 PM

The first picture is a better look at the one with the mane.

The second and third pictures are the first that has shed his velvet.

Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. - 09/04/16 12:47 PM

Deer are scruffy looking this time of year, they'll be getting their "winter coat" before long.

J, tell us what you have planted in that little spot.

I talk to a good many folks everyday, and there's been a good bit of discussion about our local buck deer. For years and years everyone that you'd talk to said "Well, we have a good acorn crop this year, we'll have some nice bucks next fall".

That theory went down the drain this year. Last fall, the fall of 2015, we had a very poor mast crop. And we've got some decent bucks this year. Not sure if this is right or not? But I'll guess that it's due to our mild winter. Don't know?

Talking about the velvet coming off, it was the first day of squirrel season, maybe 5 years ago?, I walked up on this buck polishing up his antlers. I scoped him over and even got a crappy picture, but his horns were a kind of pinkish color.

That's something that you don't see very often, counting that time, well as I remember that's only 4 times in my life that I've watched a deer horning up a sapling or small tree.

Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. - 09/04/16 11:39 PM

What you see is the native plants. That is part of a tractor road through the woods. I have some other plots I planted in the spring that had Buckwheat,Sorghum,Millet,Cowpeas and High oil sunflower. It was a mixture from a place called Deer Creek Seed. They have a lot
of different mixes, or you can buy individual varieties and make your own blend. They sell in 1,3,5,9 lb bags or larger and will tell you the pounds per acre. another place is Hancock seed. If you want to keep the price down plant some Cereal Rye. I planted some last year the 1st of Oct. About a month later it was about Six inches high, the first of March it was about an inch high.

Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. - 09/05/16 11:42 AM

No, never have tried to make any type of food plot. Some of the local hunt clubs have different stuff growing here and there.

The one guy and his boys are up to date on this stuff, he plants a thing called "rape". I'm not real familiar with it, but it's something like a turnip or radish plant. I looked at his patch one day, the tops were up 10 or 12 inches, and the way I understand things, the deer will dig up the roots. Darned if I know?

The clover I sowed around the "Old Shack", the deer keep it mowed down, looking groomed.

Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. - 09/06/16 02:29 AM

This is an old picture of my buddy Moe. lol

See him sneaking in on the right side of the picture?

Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. - 09/17/16 11:22 AM

I've been getting reports of folks finding lots of dead deer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdCOnRD_qKI

I'll add antler pictures in a minute.

Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. - 09/17/16 12:12 PM

Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. - 09/17/16 12:51 PM

Finally had a chance to check my camera. During 3 weeks, it took 245 pictures, it's set to take a picture per minute, with motion. Still no small game other than a squirrel 2 or 3 times.

The one picture above, that's the first picture of a buck without it's velvet. Forget the date?, but the post above.

Above I mentioned people finding dead deer, from what I've heard, it's "bluetongue". I heard rumor that folks on the eastern side of the county have found over 40 dead deer in one small area. Not sure? A DOH employee told me that that one hollow on the back side of the mountain, "stinks like hell." Friend of mine has found 5 dead, another friend has found 2, including a 9-point buck, laying in the river.

I'm not familiar with the disease, but it must be bad stuff! I've got a picture of one doe, you can see her shoulder and rib bones, there's no doubt that she's very sick!

Our early bear season came in today, I'll know more about the deer situation later today.

Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. - 10/07/16 10:15 AM

Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. - 10/07/16 11:11 AM

I checked my camera yesterday, in 3 weeks I got 389 pictures, nothing but deer.

Seems like some of the bucks are still hanging together, and also have pictures of a couple fawns that still have spots.

Hard to tell from the still pictures, but that one fawn looks like it's trying to suckle. Also have a picture of 2 bucks, face to face with their heads down, like they're fighting.

The picture above dated 9/27/16, it's an 8-point, I'd guess that that's his 2nd set of antlers, so he should be coming up on 30 months old. 2.5 years. His odds of seeing New Year's Day 2017, are very close to zero.

I've got 2 or 3 pictures of the biggest buck, more or less he looks like a big 4-point, but does have little dog stickers, that make him a 6. I'd say he is over 17" wide.

One of my friends had his camera stolen, 2 or 3 weeks ago. It was on private land, nobody had any business in there, but it's gone!

My nephew (the boy that married my niece) asked me if he could archery hunt on the King's place, he's got a camera watching Wardney's illegal salt lick. He's got pictures of 3 bucks, several does and a 100+ pound bear. That salt lick is only 150 yards from the house.

Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. - 10/09/16 11:35 AM

Here's a picture of the biggest buck, all 4 deer are bucks.

I've heard this rumor before that the biggest bucks shed their velvet first. Looking at my pictures, that seems to be true, the other 3 bucks still have their velvet.

That's a bigger deer than average for this area, I'll guess him at 150# field dressed. With those white horns, he'd look pretty good walking around the side of the ridge, he's toast! Wish I could buy a million dollar life insurance policy on him.

Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. - 10/29/16 11:39 AM

We've been talking about antler growth, their antlers, at least some of them are going downhill now. I checked my camera Thursday, it'd been 3 weeks since the last time I changed SD cards.

I've got a picture of one buck, it's left beam is snapped off, it's a jagged looking little stub, about an inch long. The 2 points on it's right beam are both broken.

They must be fighting pretty good now. Also noticed the hair on the females rumps, the hair is all ruffled up, I'd guess they are breeding now too.

The batteries in my Stealth cam have finally died. It took it's first picture on 4/5/16, and it's last picture on 10/21/16. Some days I was getting 40 pictures, being very conservative, it's taken over 5,000 pictures on one set of batteries.

It seems like when the batteries started to go, I'd been getting 15 or 20 per day, then it dropped down to 3 or 4 per day, then it dropped down to 1 per day. We've had a couple frosts, and I guess that cool weather just shut it down. No pictures at all since the 21st.

Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. - 11/29/16 11:42 AM

Here's a different buck, first time I've had this one on camera.

Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. - 11/29/16 12:08 PM

Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. - 12/06/16 03:13 AM

Guys, I took a shot at a buck the other evening.

Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. - 12/06/16 11:24 AM

Nice one!

Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. - 12/06/16 10:08 PM

Just heard your buck kill was 25% below last year.

Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. - 12/06/16 10:09 PM

I reckon them horns will boil up real nice. smile smile smile smile

Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. - 12/06/16 10:17 PM

And you're right about leaf fall too. I'm setting here right now watching the rain and wind take the final leaves off the oak trees.

Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. - 12/07/16 03:04 AM

Here's the email the WV DNR sent out today:

SOUTH CHARLESTON, W.Va. – Preliminary data collected from the electronic game checking system indicate deer hunters in West Virginia harvested 45,871 bucks during the two-week buck firearms season which ran from Nov. 21 through Dec. 3, 2016, according to Paul Johansen, chief of the West Virginia Division of Natural Resources (DNR) Wildlife Resources Section.

The 2016 buck harvest is down 25 percent from the 2015 harvest of 60,814. The top 10 counties for buck harvest were: Preston (1,769), Randolph (1,610), Jackson (1,482), Greenbrier (1,445), Ritchie (1,414), Upshur (1,392), Mason (1,266), Lewis (1,238), Hampshire (1,183) and Wood (1,182).

The buck harvest decreased in all six DNR districts. The buck season harvest was predicted to decrease in the Mast Survey and Hunting Outlook brochure, primarily because of an increased number of acorns in 2016 compared to acorn crop production in 2015. In addition, high winds across much of the state limited deer activity and decreased success rates on the first two days of the season.

"Hunters continued to use the electronic game checking system established in 2015," Johansen said. "Hunters enjoyed the ease of being able to check deer and other game using the telephone, internet or by stopping at a license agent."

Johansen reminds hunters that several days of deer hunting opportunity still remain for 2016, including the remainder of the muzzleloader season, which runs through Saturday, Dec. 10. The traditional antlerless deer season in selected counties on both public and private land opens Thursday, Dec. 15, and runs through Saturday, Dec. 17. The Youth, Class Q/QQ and Class XS deer season for antlerless deer will be open Dec. 26 and 27 in any county with a firearms deer season. This will be followed by the reopening of Class N/NN antlerless deer season Dec. 28-31 in specified counties or portions of counties. See the 2016 - 2017 Hunting and Trapping Regulations Summary or visit the DNR website at www.wvdnr.gov for county and area listings.

The numbers are kind of hard to go by, and the DNR folks sure can put a good spin on things. Our deer herd peaked, number wise back in the mid-80's, in this area.

It's still early, haven't really had a chance to talk to a lot of hunters, but I've had 2 or 3 guys tell me that this is the worst year that they've ever had. There have been some nice bucks killed, but you just don't hear any shooting. Those deer (trail cam) pictures I've posted above. They've been worked over pretty hard!

As far as acorns, and the overall mast crop, I was out the other day, in one place, there are no acorns, no grapes, no gum berries. A feller is lucky if you can see a woodpecker now and then. Not sure? But I'll guess that had a lot to do with our late/cold spring. Just not much sign.

Our leaves are pretty much on the ground now. We've had rain/sleet off and on for 12 hours today, temperature steady between 36 and 40*. 39* now. Sure did settle the leaves, zero chance of a woods fire now.

Black-powder season is in this week. And we've got 7 more days of "antlerless" season coming up.

I haven't checked my camera for 2 weeks, but the deer's pattern sure has changed since the first day of season.

Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. - 12/30/16 01:33 AM

Finally got a bear picture, got one on the 18th and the 21st. Season is in.

Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. - 12/30/16 12:05 PM

You are lucky the bear didn't get a camera snack. They can be hard on trail cams.

Decent bear. I have two drying right now.

Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. - 12/30/16 01:17 PM

That bear wouldn't be able to reach my camera without standing on the milk crate. smile

I'd guess it at over 200#. I only got 3 pictures of it, looks like it's head is kind of smallish. Maybe a female? Kind of short legs too it seems. Never know?

The camera had been up 20 days between sd card changes, it took 160 pictures. We still have a 6-point buck and a couple smaller deer in the area. Also got a picture of a red fox.

Just glanced at the pictures again, I'll guess about 2/3's of them are night pictures. And that tree is in the way, next time up I'll take my saw and drop that rascal. It seems that every other picture, there is something blocked because of that snag.

Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. - 12/31/16 01:56 PM

That bear wouldn't be able to reach my camera without standing on the milk crate. smile

The bears we have around here climb trees! They are quite good at it and do it all the time to eat leaves and berries. grin

Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. - 12/31/16 02:41 PM

Knock on wood! I've got the rest of the day off, headed up there now. Might just sit there and guard my camera. Doe season is in too.

Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. - 01/01/17 01:14 PM

Yes, I've watched bear scamper up trees just about the same speed that a squirrel would go. Really amazing if you think about it! And they can come down just as fast, hit the ground on all 4 and run like the wind.

My camera isn't really in "bear country", but you never know where you might find one. My bud Moe and I hunted 2 or 3 hours in the next hollow over from my camera last evening, we didn't see any full sized deer, just 4 fawns. No shots fired. There's a good chance the bear was someplace around nearby? Just 2 guys hunting together, there was a lot of daylight between us. Had a good time, that's the main thing.

Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. - 01/27/17 12:40 PM

I checked my camera yesterday, it had been 4 weeks between checks, it had taken 165 pictures. I did get a picture of 2 bucks together, on 1/12/17. They are both 4 or 5 or 6 points? And still have both sides of their antlers. Also got a picture of a spike buck.

Got some neat looking pictures the other night when it was snowing. Had one picture with 9 deer in one frame, as well as I can tell they were all last springs fawns except for 2 adult does. They've been worked over pretty hard.

Any of you other guys getting any pictures?
Posted by: Dfabs

Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. - 01/27/17 08:17 PM

A few deer and about 50 turkeys every day.

Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. - 02/17/17 12:40 PM

You must have your camera watching a feeder, if you're getting turkeys every day.

I checked my camera yesterday, in 3 weeks time it took 83 pictures. I'll guess 3/4's of them are night time pictures.

The last picture that I got of a deer with antlers, is dated 1/13/17. I've got one picture of 3 deer together, I'm not positive, but I think they are male deer. One is that little runt spike that I posted pictures of above. When I zoom in on the pictures they get so grainy, it's hard to tell. Just by the shape of their heads, it looks like they've lost their horns.

I've also got a few pictures of 9 deer together, and best I can tell, 7 of them are last years fawns and 2 adult females. Seems like all of them are in pretty good shape and healthy. It's been a very mild winter.

Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. - 03/27/17 11:03 AM

I checked my camera yesterday, it had taken 479 pictures since the last check, about 6 weeks. Lots of action around the salt lick. I've got at least 5 buck deer that still have at least one antler. I've got an 8 point and a 10 point that still have both sides.

The other day I was reading this little comment about deer antlers, the man from the DNR said that during mild winters, deer will keep their horns, basically until this years antlers push the old ones off. He described it similar to baby teeth, being pushed out by your permanent teeth. Could be?

That camera has been there for almost a year now, that's the first and only turkey picture it's taken. More than likely, that's part of the 14 gobblers that I watched back in buck season. Off to the left of the camera is the hollow, lots of pines and hemlock trees. Good place for them to get out of the snow.

Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. - 03/27/17 10:54 PM

Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. - 03/27/17 10:57 PM

Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. - 03/28/17 02:13 AM

One thing that I wanted to comment about, look at the snow picture with the female deer above, those deer are craving some kind of mineral or salt. Notice the fawn on the right, it's a button buck. The females should be pregnant, and there's nothing in the woods now to eat. Slim pickens for the next little while.

But the one picture above, he's a 10-point, I'll guess somewhere around 15 or 16" spread. About the same as the 8-point above, IF they make it until next November, they're toast. My opinion, that would make them 3.5 years old.

I've had that camera for almost a year, and I'll admit that it's just interesting to check. Almost like trapping.
Posted by: bhugo

Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. - 03/30/17 10:52 PM

That's crazy cool that they still have their antlers.

Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. - 04/03/17 11:41 AM

I checked my camera again yesterday, the 8-point above still has his horns, as of 3/31/17. He's with a group of 7 deer, I can tell for sure that 3 of the other deer are bucks. I'd say all 7 are males.

In 7 days the camera took 174 pictures, nothing but deer. Seems like they are really attracted to the salt lick.

I went back and looked at my trail cam pictures from last year, a picture dated 4/30/16 showed a buck with little nubs, maybe an inch long.

I'm going to wait about 2 weeks, then go up spend an hour or so looking for sheds. Seems like they are still fighting a good bit, there's deer hair all over the place.

Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. - 04/03/17 06:21 PM

Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. - 04/03/17 10:30 PM

Here's a neat picture. Look on the left edge of the picture, and behind the deer in the middle, turkeys. They're too pretty to be hens. Very seldom do you see deer and turkeys that close together.

Posted by: Randy Sheckles

Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. - 04/04/17 02:55 AM

Thanks for sharing them AWESOME pics.I really get a kick out of looking at them.
Posted by: Randy Sheckles

Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. - 04/04/17 07:41 PM

What is the neatest thing or animal you have ever seen on your cameras?

Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. - 04/04/17 11:25 PM

Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. - 04/04/17 11:43 PM

This is a buck that I've never had on my camera before. I showed it to one of my DNR friends, he thinks it's going to be king of the mountain this coming season. I have no idea where he came from, but I think I've got 7 bucks hanging together now.

The question you asked, I enjoy looking at pictures and try to read the critters body language, best I can. I set my old camera up on a red fox den one time, got some pretty neat pictures. And I've had bear cubs messing around a few times.

There is a water hole up on the side of the mountain, I'd like to have a camera set up there. It's a busy place.

Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. - 04/04/17 11:48 PM

The date is correct.

Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. - 04/06/17 11:34 AM

Turkeys are gobbling around here, and have been for a while. I don't remember when I got my first report of gobbling?, it's been probably 2 months ago. The mail girl is seeing turkeys about every day.

I have a computer at work, I never comment while I'm at work, but I've been showing the pictures above to some of my friends. Seems like all of them are sorry that they took their cameras down. I bought my camera to use.

We'll start a new antler growth thread in 2 or 3 weeks, and watch them sprout out again. I noticed the other day, this thread is up over 16,000 views. Must be a little interest.

My Stealth camera is a year old now, I have no complaints. I did notice the other day, I think the camera's thermometer must only go down to 25*. No big deal, but we've been below 25* lots of times during the past winter. I never look at that moon phase thing either.

Remember that snow storm we had back in mid-March, there was a lot of action around the salt lick the day before.

Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. - 04/08/17 02:36 PM

Been wondering about your 'salt lick'. I've used them in the past and have enjoyed watching them disappear by the tongue marks. The chunk that I see in your pics looks more like the darker 'mineral block' that I see for sale in the stores around here. If that's what it is, do you consider it better than the actual salt block?

Frank.

Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. - 04/08/17 04:53 PM

Darned if I know. The local co-op sells them as a "trace mineral" block. It's not one of those high dollar deer block things, it's the exact same block that folks around here furnish for their livestock, cows, sheep and goats.

Well as I remember about $6 for a 40 pound block. A guy from the local hunt clubs told me that a 50# bag of "trace mineral" salt was $5 now. The blocks and the bags of mineral salt are a dark reddish color. Seems like the blocks take longer to dissolve, than the loose salt, but really the deer are pawing at the ground, basically eating the dirt, and not licking the block.

I know of one salt lick, it's been there years, the guy filled up a tube sock with salt, and had it hanging from a tree limb. The deer have dug a hole, I'll bet it's 2 feet deep now, and as wide as a tub.

Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. - 04/08/17 05:41 PM

Yea, it looked like a mineral block for livestock. Need to try one of those this year. In an old hunting camp, one fella always brought up a gallon jug of water with road salt in it. He'd pour it over an old tree stump near the drive in. The top of the stump got munched on, but like you mentioned, the dirt started disappearing from around and UNDER the stump. It got so that the thick roots of the old stump were exposed around and a foot down. The stump finally got hollowed out and the roots let go of their anchor points. I put the thing on our campfire, and the flames shot out of the top like a volcano. Most interesting camp fire we ever had!! I find it curious that we are told that we, as humans, eat way too much salt, but that just about every other creature will go out of it's way to gorge on the stuff, even smackin' down the dirt around it!

Frank.

Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. - 04/09/17 11:58 AM

I've checked the timer on my camera, usually when a bunch of deer first arrive at the salt lick, they'll fool around for 8 or 10 minutes, and then move on.

Moe and I first started this salt lick a little over a year ago. The local deer know where it is now, and honestly I think there has been more activity there in the last 2 months than ever before.

Search "grass tetany". I wasn't sure if deer got that "condition" or not, but they do. I knew that cattle and goats would. Farmers around here are just now starting to turn their cows out to pasture. Our grass pastures have really greened up in the last week or 2.

When my daughter was farming goats and cows, the vet told me to make sure that they had salt, here in the spring. Big change in their diet in going from hay to fresh green grass.

A goat expert told me that goats were very good about knowing what their bodies needed, I'll assume that deer are about the same. Those deer are craving something. The majority of the female deer should be growing fawns, and the male deer should be in the process of growing antlers.

The other day I was showing a friend my pictures, we were bs'n about these mineral blocks. He said they'd been putting them out for 10 years or so on their property, he said that it'd made a tremendous difference in the size of their bucks. We'll see.

Last year I had pictures of new antler growth on April 30th, that's only 3 weeks from today.

Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. - 05/11/17 10:35 PM

Well, I talked to Mr. Teet's from the DNR the other day, we were bs'n about deer horns. He's looked at the pictures above. I told him the last picture that I've had of a buck deer with both antlers was dated 3/31/17. Mr. Teet's said a man called him at his office on April 2nd, and said there was an 8-point in his back yard.

I haven't checked my camera for a month or so, but the last time that I did, as well as I can tell I have one buck with little nubs, about the size of a pop bottle cap.

We were talking about finding shed antlers, Mr. Teet's said that he'd found 18 sheds last spring, with only 1 matching pair. So far this spring, he hasn't found a single shed.

I've looked all over the place around the salt licks, I've circled them, out 25 yards or so. I've walked the best trails for 200 yards, drop down into the next good trail and follow it back to the salt lick. I haven't found a thing. Like we were talking, you take a little object the size of an antler and drop it someplace in 1,000 acres, the odds of finding it are slim!

Mr. Teet's said that he's had his best luck finding sheds where deer are feeding. We still have good acorns on the ground in places, right now. In one of the other threads I mentioned watching that bunch of turkey gobblers feeding, they were feeding on acorns. I know where that spot is located, next time I change SD cards, I'll walk over there and make a circle in that little oak grove. Probably won't amount to squat!

We were talking about how fast mice and squirrels find shed antlers, you hardly ever find one that's not been chewed on. It was my suggestion, he's going to put an old deer horn out and wire it fast with a trail cam watching the thing. It'll be interesting to see what he comes up with.

This was years ago, I was out one day and walked up on a squirrel, it took off running with something in it mouth and tried to go in a little hole at the base of a tree. It stopped the squirrel cold, and it dropped it, and went on inside the hollow tree. I went over and checked it out, it was a deer's rib bone, all gnawed up.

We'll start another antler thread before long, and see if these mineral blocks are doing any good.

Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. - 05/11/17 11:53 PM

I hauled a salt block out into the cedar swamp and set a trail cam the keep watch over it. Thought I might be able to share some pics here. Went to check it out last trip to camp, and discovered I'd forgotten to put the SD card in. Duh, what bells don't ring?!!

Frank.

Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. - 05/13/17 01:38 PM

I have my SD cards labeled A and B, one guy was telling me that he got his mixed up one time, and came home with the empty card. And I always like to double check that the card is clicked into place.

I'm not sure, but I'd think that antlers pretty much start to grow at about the same time, state to state. It would be interesting to see what's going on, in different parts of the country.

Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. - 05/14/17 12:11 AM

Re: Antler growth, trail camera pictures. - 05/14/17 11:44 AM

Very good. I'll start a new thread for 2017. We'll be able to compare them last year's antlers.