rough spring

Posted by: musher

rough spring - 05/08/17 11:51 AM

It has been a tough spring weather wise. Last week there was still a foot of snow in the bush. Lakes are still frozen. But the rain and the melt has raised water levels quite high. Lots of people flooded out. I live on a river and all is still good.

This morning we woke up to snow! It was almost all melted in my yard ....

Any grouse/ducks nesting now are going to take a hit. Same for song birds.
Posted by: FLSH ETR

Re: rough spring - 05/08/17 01:31 PM

Came home from camp yesterday. Was a great weekend, with only rain on Friday night. However, last night's temps were supposed to get down to 21*F. Found a grouse nest with four eggs in it. She's got her job cut out for her keeping them things warm, that's for sure!

Frank.
Posted by: Hal

Re: rough spring - 05/08/17 01:42 PM

33° here this morning. Had just a couple of tomato and pepper plants in the garden to cover. (In my old age I'm smart enough not to plant those thing too early smile )
Posted by: redsnow

Re: rough spring - 05/09/17 11:41 AM

I had 38* yesterday morning. It was 33* with a light frost this morning.

Talking about our birds and stuff, there is a starling nest out back, they hatched a week or 10 days ago.

Last week we had a good rain, 1.5" here in town. It didn't come down really hard, it was a good rain. Seven miles up the valley, they had 2.5". You never know how that might work on our critters like rabbits. 2.5" is more than enough to flood a rabbit nest.

Fox pups should be up running around now.
Posted by: musher

Re: rough spring - 05/19/17 12:24 PM

Yesterday we had intense heat. 30 C. with high humidity. This morning it is 5 C.

Hummingbirds are back. I saw the first one at the feeder yesterday. I haven't seen him today, but if I do, I expect it to be wearing a tuque.

Re: rough spring - 05/19/17 03:11 PM

That hat and a cape would make him look like a new super hero--HUMZILLA!! grin

Re: rough spring - 05/22/17 01:56 PM

I believe I too saw an humming bird. Two mornings in a row, making nosey on our hanging flower baskets. Either that, or it was one of our Wisconsin mosquitoes. Difficult to tell the difference. I think the skeeter is bigger.

Frank.