Ants!!

Posted by: FLSH ETR

Ants!! - 08/25/18 11:42 PM

It's 90* and really humid here this evening. And as it happens every year like this, hundreds of thousands of flying ants are taking to the sky, all at once. Looking across the street, it looks like a heavy snow fall with so many little critters skyward. An awesome sight to behold! Everybody's lawn is a crawling mess of ants waiting to take flight. Man-o-man, you'd be spitting ants if you were out jogging now. Think I'll stay in and watch some TV.

Frank.
Posted by: Dfabs

Re: Ants!! - 08/26/18 12:04 AM

I’ve seen the same thing with termites before.
Posted by: Oak

Re: Ants!! - 08/26/18 06:45 PM

If you’re experiencing anything like we do here in the south central part of WI we get the swarms of citronella or yellow ants about this time of year. They take to the sky in troves and then disappear again.
Posted by: FLSH ETR

Re: Ants!! - 08/28/18 04:16 PM

Yea, I don't know what kind of ants these are. Must have snoozed off in antology. They must some how communicate with each other, cuzz they all lifted off on the same day, and that was it. All the yards in the neighborhood were involved at the same time. We had huge black ones that tried to make a home in our newly constructed house way back when. My daughter stomped on a couple in the basement while I was up in the attic ready to spray some there. Those in the attic went into a panic run when she did her stomp, so I'm sure they communicate with each other somehow. Interesting.

Frank.
Posted by: Hal

Re: Ants!! - 08/28/18 07:59 PM

It's pretty gol darn amazing that such critters can just grow wings "on demand" when their ordinary means of locomotion is walking. Ant's are some pretty intriguing social insects, in fact, all social insects are pretty interesting.