2020 Deer, Trail Cam pictures.

Posted by: redsnow

2020 Deer, Trail Cam pictures. - 08/06/20 05:55 PM

Well, I finally took the time and checked the mountain cameras yesterday. Had to cut the brush out of the road again, just as I expected. The last time I'd checked the Spring camera was mid-April, so it'd been almost 4 months. Had a bunch of pictures, well over 1,000, between the 4 cameras.

I've been getting pictures of new antlers since about the first of May, or a little bit before. Nearly all of the deer pictures are nighttime pics, and their horns barely show up. I changed batteries in 3 of the cameras yesterday, cut some brush out of the way, we'll have pictures the next check. I do have pictures of fawn deer, but just a few.

I did have a close call on the road with a doe and 2 fawns the other day, I was driving my car, doing the speed limit pretty much. Came around a hard right hand turn and there they were, I went between the 2 fawns. No harm done. Knock on wood, I'm long overdue!

Anyway, here are a couple of my pictures. I have bear pictures on all of the cameras. I'll try to add a few more later.

This is a sick looking animal, do you suppose cubs would pull it down that much?

Re: 2020 Deer, Trail Cam pictures. - 08/06/20 06:16 PM

Posted by: musher

Re: 2020 Deer, Trail Cam pictures. - 08/07/20 04:53 AM

That is a very lean looking bear.

Re: 2020 Deer, Trail Cam pictures. - 08/07/20 06:34 AM

Re: 2020 Deer, Trail Cam pictures. - 08/08/20 06:27 AM

I'm still checking this last batch of pictures. A girl from the courthouse sent me the bottom message, yesterday. Motorcycle vs bear. Kid with nail in his foot. Ouch X 2.

I did find one bobcat picture, it's too grainy to post.

Re: 2020 Deer, Trail Cam pictures. - 08/09/20 07:18 AM

Still checking this last batch of pictures.

Posted by: Dfabs

Re: 2020 Deer, Trail Cam pictures. - 08/09/20 07:31 AM

Nice pics so far, Tim. You definitely have no lack of bears up that way. Iím actually getting ready to buy a camp up your way in about 2 weeks up at Seneca. Itís right across the road from the hole in the rock on North Fork at the Grant County line. Weíll have to get together and do some fishing next spring.

Re: 2020 Deer, Trail Cam pictures. - 08/09/20 08:01 AM

Seems like this one wintered over pretty good.

Re: 2020 Deer, Trail Cam pictures. - 08/09/20 02:30 PM

Good deal, Dustin. That's beautiful country up through there. I guess you're talking about in the "Dolly Town" area?

You know where the National Forest road goes up, just north of the old CCC camp? There's a good native trout stream that rolls off there, but you've gotta walk about a mile to get above private land. Big Donnie and I have fished it a time or 2. And we've fished a couple of the streams west of Seneca.

I'll quote Big D. : "Fishing is best when the water is slightly up and murky". I've heard him say that a hundred times! Native Brooke trout are spooky.

Re: 2020 Deer, Trail Cam pictures. - 08/10/20 04:41 PM

Yeah, itís only a couple miles from where you turn to go up into Dolly Sods. Iíll have to figure out where that National Forest road is that youíre talking about. I love fishing for natives. Thatís good ole fashioned nightcrawler fishing at its best. Iím just starting to learn the area pretty well. I love fishing on North Fork. One of if not the prettiest trout streams in the state in my opinion.

Re: 2020 Deer, Trail Cam pictures. - 08/11/20 06:33 AM

I agree, the North Fork is a pretty stream. Big and pretty country in that area, a good place to have a compass and/or GPS.

I'm experimenting with the salt licks, I'll add more later. But notice how the deer seem a little bit shy? The white stuff on the ground is bone meal.

Re: 2020 Deer, Trail Cam pictures. - 08/12/20 06:31 AM

Above I mentioned the bone meal. Do a search: composition of deer antlers. Antlers are mainly calcium. Antlers are bone. Whatever antlers a deer will grow, all of those nutrients come from it's body.

Just experimenting. I asked a friend of mine that works at the local feed mill to get me a bucket of bone meal. It's expensive stuff. Do a search about bone meal. Folks use it in their garden and all.

Just experimenting, thinking, the more of this stuff a deer would have in it's system, the more antler it will grow.

Long story short, I sprinkled about a quart of bone meal on the ground, at 4 of the salt licks. Deer scratch and paw and lick the ground around the salt licks as much or more than they do lick the actual salt block.

The bone meal that I have, has a very slight smell, it doesn't stink. It's gritty, but about the same texture as something like ground coffee. I mixed up a little bowl full with water and it turned pinkish in color. I guess the bone marrow and blood? I warmed it up in the microwave and more or less forgot about it for a week or so, it crusted over and was still in a paste form, and smelled a lot like canned tuna.

It seems the deer don't like it, but seems like bear do. If you look at the one picture above, that little bear has his back foot in the stuff. They're not eating it, but like I said it's just a dusting on the ground. I had 4 or 5 pictures of crows on the Lower Salt lick camera, just one day or 2. Since then it's rained and more or less dissolved into the ground. The deer are back to working the salt lick, same as before. So, we'll see.

Re: 2020 Deer, Trail Cam pictures. - 08/12/20 08:57 AM

Iíve used bone meal in the garden, but never fed it to deer. We used to put a lot of calcium out though, and the deer ate the heck out of it just like they did the salt licks.

One thing I found out about it and fish emulsion both in the garden though is something seemed to like it. Iím not sure if it was a coon or what it was for sure, but something tried to dig up all of my plants that were fertilized with either one of those.

Re: 2020 Deer, Trail Cam pictures. - 08/13/20 06:37 AM

Checked the camera at Wardney's salt lick yesterday. I have a couple of fawn pictures, not many.

I'm sure calcium is expensive. My buddy Moe just bought some kind of high powered "deer block". He paid $23 for the thing, bear ate it, and it was gone in less than a week. He didn't care for that much.

Re: 2020 Deer, Trail Cam pictures. - 08/13/20 06:40 PM

Here's a picture from the Upper salt lick. I took my camera down, and Moe put his up. That's a pretty decent buck, both of them. I'll probably have them on the Lower camera too.

Posted by: FLSH ETR

Re: 2020 Deer, Trail Cam pictures. - 09/09/20 11:02 PM

Checked out the salt lick this past week up at camp. Take a look at what I found. That stump was brought there and anchored so the critters would not tip it over. Didn't want to cut trees on site just to make a stump.

Anyway it was a squared off log with bark on it. Not a trace of bark is left there, and the top edge has been rounded off by something. I realize Ma Nature bathed that stump in salt water, and a lot of living things enjoy that salt. I've even seen where the dirt was consumed by deer exposing the actual roots of a tree stump used for a salt lick. But I've never seen where a stump has been almost machined into a piece of furniture. I know porkies have quite an appetite for salty products. But the small chunk of salt it still on site. Why chew up the stump? Any guesses?

Re: 2020 Deer, Trail Cam pictures. - 09/10/20 03:49 AM

Wood is porous. The salt, dissolved with water, gets absorbed by the wood. I have seen stumps almost completely worn away.

Re: 2020 Deer, Trail Cam pictures. - 09/10/20 06:38 AM

Squirrels gnaw away at my salt lick stumps. The Upper Salt lick stump is pine, it's rounded off nicely.

Re: 2020 Deer, Trail Cam pictures. - 09/11/20 07:35 AM

Here's a picture of stump above, from 3 years ago. I'll tell you what's going on with it, the deer have licked it so many times, they're actually licking away the wood. If you've ever touched and felt the texture of a deer's tongue, just that little bit of rough and scruffy is eating away the stump. But, Wardney started that salt lick 6 or 8 years ago, the deer have the ground pawed down 6 or 8 inches now.

I changed cameras at this salt lick 2 or 3 weeks ago, I thought my camera wasn't working, I was only getting 15 or so pictures per week. The camera was working fine, but that bone meal stuff I mentioned above has really turned off the deer. Eventually it'll soak in or wash away, until then I'm just not getting many pictures.

The stump above was hollow to start with, if I'm not mistaken, Wardney dumped 50 pounds of white salt into the cavity and the rest across the top and on the ground. But you can look at the stump a day or so after a good rain, and it'll look almost like it's frosted. There is that much salt absorbed into the wood.

I haven't checked the mountain cameras for about 5 weeks, just been busy and trying to get stuff squared up here before season. I'll try to do that next week, should have some good pictures.

Re: 2020 Deer, Trail Cam pictures. - 09/19/20 06:38 AM

Here's a picture of the stump up close. The deer have licked away the soft part of the wood.

Checked the camera yesterday, not many pictures, acorns are starting to fall. I do have pictures of a 4 point buck, and a red fox, all night time pictures.

Our early bear season came in today, I'll take my camera to work, I'll probably see a couple.

Re: 2020 Deer, Trail Cam pictures. - 09/20/20 07:42 AM

Re: 2020 Deer, Trail Cam pictures. - 09/25/20 08:03 AM

Finally took the time to check the mountain cameras, day before yesterday, and honestly, not much to report. It'd been 6 or 7 weeks since the last check. The batteries in my "lured rock" camera were dead, must have died as soon as I left.

150 some pics on the Thunder Rock camera, mostly night time pictures. Nothing special.

Bear knocked off my camera at the spring, back in August. It snapped the plastic buckle on the strap this time, I changed trees and put it up again. Batteries still at 96%. I found the camera laying in the rocks facing the sky, about 15 feet down the hollow. But we did get this picture of a flying squirell. Also have a picture of what I think is a bobcat, the grass and weeds are knee-high, so hard to id. Have several pics of a something, one looks like bear lips and an eyeball. All 3 mountain cameras are back on the job now.

Re: 2020 Deer, Trail Cam pictures. - 09/26/20 06:28 AM

Yesterday was the last day of our "early rifle bear season", didn't have much time but I took my rifle for a walk and checked the first mountain camera. I did see one deer. Archery bear season starts today, until December 31. But this is a nice bear.

Re: 2020 Deer, Trail Cam pictures. - 09/27/20 07:14 AM

Archery deer season also started yesterday. It's a 10-point, the young man shot it with his crossbow. Said he was shooting about 30 yards and the deer ran about 50. Figure the deer was on the ground and out within 10 seconds.

Re: 2020 Deer, Trail Cam pictures. - 09/28/20 06:40 AM

Here's a 10 point one of my friends is getting on his trail camera, it's over 20 inches wide. This time of year, guys show me pictures on their cell phones every other day.

Re: 2020 Deer, Trail Cam pictures. - 09/28/20 08:50 AM

I took the sticks up with me this past week. Way too hot to hunt. Would have to wear camo loincloth. I believe in hanging the animal for 3-4 days to break the fibers of the meat down for better flavor and less tough. Ain't gonna do that when it's in the 80's. And, the deer on my trail cam still have spots. I'm not a 'fawnsmith, but isn't it a little late in the year for that?

Re: 2020 Deer, Trail Cam pictures. - 09/29/20 09:37 AM

The date on Frank's fawn picture is 9/23/20. I think. I couldn't read it on my home computer.

I have spotted fawn pics on 2 cameras dated 9/17/20, so not quite 2 weeks ago. But their spots are starting to fade out.

This is something you don't hear about everyday, but the mail lady found a fawn deer laying in the road, and delivered it to another friend of mine. Long story short, Joyce bottle fed the little buck deer. I heard about it when she first got him. The little deer thinks it's a dog.

Just think, get all of your bills, the junk mail and a fawn deer in the same delivery!

Gotta watch how I say this, it's illegal to have a wild deer. Joyce said that the little buck won't go to her husband, but he'll walk up the steps and go inside the house. It's eating dog food. And will plop down on the couch, drinks from the dog's water pan and all.

I stopped by their house, 2 months ago or so? I was standing in the driveway, Joyce and her 2 little yappy dogs barking at me, and here comes the fawn out from behind their house. It walked up beside her, she was rubbing it's head and ears, just like a puppy.

Joyce told me the other day that he'd lost his spots, but still doesn't have any little nubs. Or little antlers yet.

If I get a chance I'll stop by and get a picture. But I mean he's free and clear to come and go, they don't have a yard fence or anything.

She also told me that she'd spent up near $300 in baby formula, that stuff is expensive. Hopefully, the little deer will keep it's butt off of the road.

Re: 2020 Deer, Trail Cam pictures. - 10/01/20 06:32 AM

Here's a story from WV Metro News.

https://wvmetronews.com/2020/09/26/wildlife-cupboards-are-close-to-bare-for-2020/

Re: 2020 Deer, Trail Cam pictures. - 10/07/20 06:30 AM

Re: 2020 Deer, Trail Cam pictures. - 10/16/20 06:34 AM

Posted by: Hal

Re: 2020 Deer, Trail Cam pictures. - 10/16/20 10:49 AM

Fool Hen?

Re: 2020 Deer, Trail Cam pictures. - 10/16/20 05:01 PM

It's a pileated woodpecker. For years and years I called them "red headed woodpeckers". I don't recall ever hearing them called a "fool hen". Old folks called them "wood hens". They are a neat bird.

I've heard rumors of folks eating them years ago. Could probably boil 2 birds in a quart sized pot? They're not very big.

From time to time I get some pretty neat looking bird pictures. Owls, hawks, eagles and turkeys. Not sure if I posted it or not?, but I have a picture of 4 turkey gobblers on the wing, pretty sure they were landing. There was no reason for them to land in that spot, I'd guess that somebody stepped on them?

Re: 2020 Deer, Trail Cam pictures. - 10/17/20 05:46 AM

I have heard of spruce grouse being called a fool hen. They are rather tame. Pileated woodpeckers are shy birds.

Re: 2020 Deer, Trail Cam pictures. - 10/17/20 09:53 AM

Pileated woodpeckers arenít shy in my neighborhood. They come right in the yard and hammer away at dead branches and stumps. One time we had a mysterious knocking at the basement door. It happened a couple of times. When it happened again, I snuck around quietly. It was a pileated woodpecker pecking at its reflection in the basement window. I think maybe they got to be called fool hens because of their voice. Almost a ha-ha-ha. The infamous Woody Woodpecker was modeled after a pileated woodpecker that was tapping on Walter Lantzís cabin. But I have heard them called woods hens too.

Re: 2020 Deer, Trail Cam pictures. - 10/18/20 08:19 AM

The same picture as above, just zoomed in a little bit. You can see he's braking hard.

Woodpeckers can be destructive. A friend of mine used to keep a mesh bag of beef suet hanging outside his living room window. They are fun to watch.

Years ago I found a woodpecker nest, I mean with 3 little chicks inside. I don't remember why or how I found it, I wasn't cutting the tree or anything like that. I went back with my camera, tripod and 400mm lens, and wasted 3 or 4 rolls of film. I've got some pretty good pictures of them here someplace.

I showed the nest to several people, have them stand back where they could see the hole good, I'd smack the tree hard with my hand and scratch my fingers across the bark up as high as I could reach. Like something climbing. The chicks would stick their heads out, ready to be fed.

Talking about our grouse, years ago we had a fair population of ruffed grouse. They are just about extinct in this area now. The state of West Virginia has a project going on now, a habitat improvement deal. The one property that I'm familiar with, the landowner is required to cut 60, (sixty) trees per acre. More or less to get some sunlight on the ground, and to get some new growth. The trees that are marked on that property are all trash. Twisted, knotty snags that will never make a good log.

I also read a story about some disease that is killing our grouse. It's not this Covid stuff that people are dealing with now. I'll search later, maybe I can find the story again? But that would be a shame if some disease or virus wipes out our grouse population. My opinion grouse are the best eating wild game we have (or did have) in this area. And there's no other bird that can replace them.

I had 33* at daylight and a good frost, it's that time of year.

Re: 2020 Deer, Trail Cam pictures. - 10/19/20 05:01 AM

It is a very good year for grouse here. I see some pretty well every time I go in the bush and it is rare one or more doesn't come home with me, including have a few shot in the yard. A .410 and head shots are the norm.

Re: 2020 Deer, Trail Cam pictures. - 10/19/20 05:55 PM

Musher, just curious, do you have both spruce grouse and ruffed grouse in your area?

I've only seen spruce grouse a few times, just out west, in Colorado and Wyoming. Years ago I was hunting through the woods and walked up on 2 or 3, I could see them on the ground, they let me walk very close before they flushed. They flew up and landed in the timber, and let me walk over to a tree and get a good solid rest, and I popped one's head off with my big rifle. It was on the grill that night, and I brought it's tail feathers home, had them for years.

The disease I was thinking about is West Nile. Do a search "West Nile virus killing grouse".

But here are 2 links. Read the story about the bobwhite quail, make up your own mind. 48 birds from Texas.

https://www.wvgazettemail.com/outdoors/r...7fc08c1c8a.html

https://governor.wv.gov/News/press-relea...t-Virginia.aspx

Re: 2020 Deer, Trail Cam pictures. - 10/19/20 06:08 PM

Here's the link I was looking for.

https://wvmetronews.com/2020/02/26/another-major-threat-to-the-already-fragile-w-va-grouse-numbers/

Re: 2020 Deer, Trail Cam pictures. - 10/20/20 06:05 AM

In some areas we have a lot of spruce grouse and few ruffed. In others it is the opposite. Around the house and the trap line closest to the house it is ruffed. The further north you go the fewer the ruffed.

I'd rather eat a ruffed. Lots of people will not shoot a spruce for that reason.

Re: 2020 Deer, Trail Cam pictures. - 10/20/20 08:38 AM

I haven't seen or heard a grouse in my neighborhood in ten years. They were never very plentiful to begin with.

Re: 2020 Deer, Trail Cam pictures. - 10/20/20 05:55 PM

Originally Posted By: Hal
I haven't seen or heard a grouse in my neighborhood in ten years. They were never very plentiful to begin with.

I saw 3 today and shot 2. I also shot a spruce. All while checking beaver traps (caught 11). Then when I got home, Wifey and I hurried to fill our deer feeders on our woodlot and she shot a ruffed. Less than 5 minutes from the couch.

I am on my second box of 410 shells.

Re: 2020 Deer, Trail Cam pictures. - 10/21/20 06:45 AM

Here's a bear that I tagged in for this man, yesterday, think he said he's 76 years old. Got it with his crossbow, about 15 miles up the the road. They guessed it's weight at over 200 pounds, according to it's head and feet, I'd agree.

Re: 2020 Deer, Trail Cam pictures. - 10/22/20 08:53 AM

Brian, you're fortunate to live in an area with a healthy grouse population. Back around 1980 or so, I was trapping a property, and I'd see a bird, maybe 3 or 4 or 5 about every check. We just don't have them today.

Since we've been talking about grouse, I've asked several guys that I see here at work: Well, let me ask when was the last time that you've seen a grouse or flushed one while you've been out hunting? Everyone that I've asked had to think, and think hard. We have a few around, very few. I haven't killed one for years. I think it was the fall before last I did see 2, together.

The other day when I posted those couple links above, I read 4 or 5 other stories/reports and the more I read, the more gloomy the grouse story becomes. The one story reported that wild grouse eggs were hatched in a sterile facility, and the chicks suffered a 90% mortality rate at 6 or 8 weeks of age when exposed to West Nile virus.

Another story reported, that in addition to our 4 legged predators, they also faced "death from above". We do have a bunch of hawks, owls and eagles. This was before my time, but I remember my buddy Earl telling me about collectiing a bounty for hawks. Chicken hawks is what he called them. I remember Dad telling me about the time Granddad picked off a big hawk way out there, years and years ago. Of course all birds of prey are protected today, but back at the time, that's the way it was.

My opinion, we're seeing a big change in our wildlife, and not a good change. Some of it comes back to us trappers too. If fox prices bump up to $50, we'd put the squeeze on them.

Re: 2020 Deer, Trail Cam pictures. - 10/23/20 05:33 AM

The day before yesterday, Wifey came with me and we saw a bunch. She had 4-6 in front of her a couple of times. It was pouring rain out, too.

Yesterday, on a different line, with much better weather, where I did twice the milage, I did not see one!

We will see what happens today.

Re: 2020 Deer, Trail Cam pictures. - 10/23/20 03:01 PM

No lions, or tigers, bbbut BBBEARS!--OH MY!!!

This big old sow better be sacked in for the winter when our deer season opens. Would not enjoy her protecting her cubs while accidently walking up on her!

Re: 2020 Deer, Trail Cam pictures. - 10/24/20 05:33 AM

Big sow and huge cubs. There is a little bear I have seen several times on one line. No sow.

It has been a poor berry year. The sow is probably bred and chased the cub away to den alone. tough love.

It is TINY. Cottagers want it gone before it causes trouble. I told them I was a trapper and not an assassin! It is a pitiful little thing the size of a cocker spaniel. I'll save my tags for bigger stuff in the spring. However, once marten boxes are set, the little bear might make a poor choice and end up in the shed. I hope it dens up first.

Re: 2020 Deer, Trail Cam pictures. - 10/27/20 06:45 AM

I've been looking at the bear pictures above, that is a big fat sow. The cubs, compared to that salt block, I think they are too big to be this years cubs. I'm looking at the picture where the cubs are hugging the tree. Not sure?

Re: 2020 Deer, Trail Cam pictures. - 10/27/20 08:32 AM

I ain't no bearsmith, but you're probably correct. The tree that the cubs are messing with is about five yards farther back than the salt block.

Frank.

Re: 2020 Deer, Trail Cam pictures. - 10/28/20 09:24 PM

Re: 2020 Deer, Trail Cam pictures. - 10/29/20 06:38 AM

I don't know as much about bear as I'd like to either, they are an interesting animal.

Talking about Frank's bear pictures, one other thing that I was looking at is the size difference between the 2 cubs or smaller bear. The same picture where they're on the tree, the one on it's back feet, looks a good bit bigger than the other one.

This time of year when you see a sow with cubs, they're almost identical in size. It seems like males have a bigger head and are usually a little bit heavier. But just to see them out in the woods feeding on acorns or whatever, you're not going to be able to see much difference.

I checked the 3 mountain cameras yesterday, today would have made 5 weeks since the last check. Had 250 pictures or so. Bear on all 3 cameras, no coyotes, not many deer either. I did find a few grapes yesterday, otherwise there's just not much food on the west side of the mountain. I did have 4 or 5 pictures of this little bobcat, in the picture below. And a fox picture too.

Re: 2020 Deer, Trail Cam pictures. - 10/29/20 08:31 AM

This should bring back memories to bobcat trappers.

Re: 2020 Deer, Trail Cam pictures. - 10/29/20 11:15 AM

Here is a picture from my spring camera. Look at the picture and see what's going on. You've got 4 adult does and one fawn. There are very few fawns on that mountain, and not many deer total.

The DNR sets our season dates and bag limits, but looking at it as a sportsman or landowner, a lot of times we know more than the DNR. Your guess is as good as mine, but if we'd ride up on the mountain today and kill 2 of the big does, how many fawns will we get next season? One fawn per 4 does isn't a very good average.

There will be some nice bucks killed this season, but overall our local deer kill will be down again, compared to last year.

Re: 2020 Deer, Trail Cam pictures. - 10/30/20 06:33 AM

Re: 2020 Deer, Trail Cam pictures. - 10/31/20 06:32 AM

I'm still looking at pictures. I'll put these two pictures side by side, not sure if it's the same buck or not? Should be able to tell on the touch screen. Maybe?

Re: 2020 Deer, Trail Cam pictures. - 11/05/20 04:32 PM

I checked the camera at Wardney's salt lick today, I did have a skunk picture and one of a red fox pup.

Above we were talking about woodpeckers, this is what they've done to the bathroom window trim. It's been like that for 2 or 3 years, as well as I can tell it's just those 2 pieces of trim, and I'm sure it was the same board. Didn't really hurt anything, just adds carachter to the old house. Notice the little black specks right of the window trim, house flies. One of those days, I had 30* this morning and got up into the 70's.

Re: 2020 Deer, Trail Cam pictures. - 11/05/20 04:34 PM

Above we were talking about woodpeckers, this is what they've done to the bathroom window trim. It's been like that for 2 or 3 years, as well as I can tell it's just those 2 pieces of trim, and I'm sure it was the same board. Didn't really hurt anything, just adds carachter to the old house. Notice the little black specks right of the window trim, house flies. One of those days, I had 30* this morning and got up into the 70's.

Re: 2020 Deer, Trail Cam pictures. - 11/10/20 08:31 AM

Here is a story that made the national news. Wyoming county is in the southern part of WV, archery hunting only, about a 4 hour drive from where I live.

My beer man Scotty is on vacation this week, but he's down there someplace now, probably sitting in a tree. He's been showing me pictures of some huge whitetail bucks. Scotty is in some hunt club down south, hopefully he'll come home with a nice one too.

https://wvmetronews.com/2020/11/07/massive-wyoming-county-buck-could-push-for-new-state-record/

Re: 2020 Deer, Trail Cam pictures. - 11/16/20 06:38 AM

Re: 2020 Deer, Trail Cam pictures. - 11/17/20 02:23 PM

A picture of the 10-point Little Duane arrowed Saturday. He killed him on the first farm past the city limit sign. A corn field buck, and a very nice whitetail.

More than likely it's one of the bucks that the mailman has been seeing. My mailman, Skeet, told me 2 weeks or so ago, that a big buck jumped out of the honeysuckles on the high side, landed in the middle of the road. And I'll quote Skeet: "I just missed his ass." Skeet runs the speed limit plus 10 or so, and he hugs the middle of the road. When you see him coming, get outta the way. But from where Skeet almost hit the buck with his Mail Buggy, it'd be less than 1/2 mile to where Duane killed his buck. Who knows?

I checked 2 of my cameras on the west side of the mountain Sunday, didn't have time to check the Spring Camera. Really surprised I only had 2 bear pictures. Not many deer pictures, but as well as I can tell there are at least 4 different bucks, including 2 spikes.

Talked to 2 other guys that have cameras out, within 2 or 3 miles of mine, they're not getting many bear pictures either. That's unusal.

I knew that something was going on. I just had this confirmed last evening, the guys that have 1,000 acres leased on the east side of the mountain are baiting. And they must be baiting the game very heavy, from what I was told. That's where the bear are now.

WV's rifle deer and bear season starts 11/23/20.

Re: 2020 Deer, Trail Cam pictures. - 11/18/20 09:18 PM

Re: 2020 Deer, Trail Cam pictures. - 11/20/20 09:24 AM

Re: 2020 Deer, Trail Cam pictures. - 11/21/20 08:10 AM

https://wvmetronews.com/2020/11/19/attitude-change-is-leading-to-bigger-bucks-in-west-virginia/

Friday the 13th.

Re: 2020 Deer, Trail Cam pictures. - 11/29/20 08:40 AM

Here's a picture from the Spring Camera. I'd like to see him in person.

Re: 2020 Deer, Trail Cam pictures. - 12/01/20 06:32 PM

These 2 cubs were born this spring, January. I have several pictures of them, seems like one is a little bit bigger. Probably a male? Nice big chunky sow. But I'll guess the biggest cub at maybe 80 pounds. They are solid, but it's hard to guess their weight.

Was blowing snow flurries on the mountain when I left at dark today. I hope it's white in the morning.

Re: 2020 Deer, Trail Cam pictures. - 12/03/20 09:37 AM

Well I'm starting to be a believer in this 'global warming' crap. Beginning of November, when sitting in my ground blind, at 75*s, I was surrounded by flies, gnats, wasps, skitters, ladybugs, and an assortment of other flying things I couldn't name. So now I'm home from the gun hunt. 45*s and still things were flying around, and no snow. But we still got bears. Too warm for them to hole up for the winter. And I believe they are scaring away the deer. No pics of deer at all, just them bears. They come in and act like 'Roombas'. They just flat out and start vacuuming all the corn I salted out for the deer. And they don't stop till the last kernel is gone. 'Roombears' I guess.
Can't find any critter tracks to set traps on. Guess I'll just stay home and get into Christmas. My bride has lots of decorations for me to help with. And of course I hauled home a pine tree to decorate. Have yourselves a great Christmas. Hope y'all get just what you deserve. grin

Frankie Claus.

Re: 2020 Deer, Trail Cam pictures. - 12/05/20 04:44 AM

Roombears is a good name and description. I put out lots of corn for deer since September and did not see a bear at my feeders. Lots of photos of deer and a wolf or two, though. Fox and ravens also fed.

Our snow has almost gone. This is not unusual.

I set 6 wolf snares last Saturday. I was all picked up except for a few sets around the house. Picked up a female Thursday.

Re: 2020 Deer, Trail Cam pictures. - 12/08/20 09:44 AM

Here are a few of the local bucks that have been harvested this season. The last 2 pictures, that's Larry with his 8-point, he got him the first day of season. And then Wardney's Grandson, Nathan, with his buck that he named the Branch Mountain Monster.

I just found out last evening that Nathan tested positive for this virus, now Wardney is off limits for the next 2 weeks or so. But, Wardney got a buck too.

Re: 2020 Deer, Trail Cam pictures. - 12/10/20 09:12 AM

Those are some decent bucks, Tim. Iím thinking I might have seen that last buck on the WV Big Bucks Facebook page, or one that looked similar to that. Those drop tines look really familiar. I need to start looking for some places to hunt and set some traps in that area now that I have a camp at Seneca. Iíll start spending a lot more time there in March. We will have to get together sometime and do some fishing on North Fork or Smokehole or something.

Re: 2020 Deer, Trail Cam pictures. - 12/19/20 06:47 AM

Re: 2020 Deer, Trail Cam pictures. - 12/20/20 09:24 AM

Dustin, that sounds good. I always prefered the Smoke Hole section compared to the North Fork. Just thinking, I'd like to paddle that water again, I haven't for years.

Back during summer, I asked a man to take me up in his plane and let me get some pictures. I'd like to buzz up the North Fork, across the Smoke Hole area and then come back down the South Fork. We just haven't had a chance yet, but that'll be a nice flight. Beautiful country up in that area.

Here's a link to WV's buck deer harvest.

Look at the picture at the top of the story. As well as I can tell the bolt on that rifle is locked down, loaded or unloaded, safety on or safety off, that is just one goofy picture. The rifle is pointed very close to the man's head. People go out and get careless with their firearms, and that's the way folks get hurt. Very poor choice of a picture to accompany a hunting story!!!

https://wvmetronews.com/2020/12/12/buck-harvest-up-six-percent-for-2020/

Re: 2020 Deer, Trail Cam pictures. - 12/25/20 08:18 AM

Here's a picture that I took with my handheld camera the other day. In the center of the picture, hopefully you can see a set of eyes, it's a spike buck. Off to the right is another spike, they're both bedded down in this picture. And nearly identical, they have 5 or 6 inch spikes.

You know how buck deer will bunch up this time of year, if there's enough to form a bunch. I cut the distance and changed positions a little bit before they stood up, then I felt the wind change directions. I felt the wind on the back of my head, I knew things were going to happen quick. Two more deer jumped up that I hadn't seen, big bodied deer, and one was really dark looking. I scoped them over as they ran off, couldn't see any horns on them, but they all went together. Very possible that the other 2 had already lost their antlers?

Our buck deer season ended a week or so ago, but I still like to look them over.

Fresh snow on the ground and I'm off work today.

Re: 2020 Deer, Trail Cam pictures. - 12/28/20 08:40 AM

Above I mentioned that there's not much to eat on the west side of Elkhorn Mountain, I noticed a month or so ago that the deer were eating the little pine trees along the road. I haven't really noticed where they're eating laurel yet. I did track where a couple of deer were out on the sunny side in the rocks, I guess eating the little ferns, moss and lichens?

I've checked the 3 mountain cameras within the last week or so, and not a single bear picture. I tracked a nice bear a week or so ago, on the right of way to the mountain, but I've not found a single bear track on the property where I've got my cameras. I've tracked out the road 3 or 4 or 5 times now?

One of the local guys with bear hounds showed me a picture of a nice one last evening, it weighed 419 pounds. Killed it up in Pendleton Co. But most everyone hunting, they're just not finding tracks. I guess they've either moved out or holed up?

Re: 2020 Deer, Trail Cam pictures. - 12/31/20 06:52 PM

Re: 2020 Deer, Trail Cam pictures. - 01/01/21 12:21 PM

Here's a picture of the Upper Salt lick stump. I sawed the stump off square, 3 or 4 years agp? It's not as pretty as the ash stump that Frank has, but the squirells have it rounded off nicely.

A 50 pound salt block will last a long time if you keep it up out of the mud. Moe's Moultrie camera died, so we don't have any recent pictures, from this spot. I think it was 4 or 5 years old before it kicked the bucket.

West Virginia's bear and antlerless firearm deer season ended 12/31/20. Season dates vary in different parts of the state, but that's when it ended in this area. The WV DNR should have the season total for antlerless deer within the next 2 weeks or so.

Above I posted a link to WV's Buck kill, the antlerless kill will tell us more of the story. Here at work we talk about fish and game, all 12 months of the year. There were some really nice bucks harvested in this area, but one thing that about everyone will agree with, is our overall deer population is way down.

You see, here in Hardy Co., back 15 or 18 years ago, there were over 3,000 buck deer harvested during the 2 week season. During the 2020, 2 week rifle season there were less than 2,000 buck deer harvested. Big difference. (I'll check the link above after this comment.)

But I also know of more and more local hunters going to other areas to hunt.

A while back I talked to a man that works for the DOH, he was telling me that just 5 years ago or so, they averaged picking up between 200 and 250 deer per month. I mean just roadkill here on the west side of the county. The day we talked he said that now, they average picking up between 40, maybe 50 deer per month. The miles of roadway and vehicle traffic have remained fairly consistent, so that should be reliable data compared to our deer herd.

I'm anxious to find out our local and statewide bear kill. Guys are telling me that they just couldn't find a track. They're out there someplace.

Re: 2020 Deer, Trail Cam pictures. - 01/03/21 05:28 AM

What do they do with the road killed deer?

Re: 2020 Deer, Trail Cam pictures. - 01/03/21 08:15 AM

Well, I told the man from the DOH, a month ago that I'd like to have a truckload. Actually, I told him that I'd take all I can get. So far they haven't delivered a single carcass.

You see, there are 2 guys that work for the state that want the carcasses for the same reason that I do, so, I'm the low man on the totem pole.

It's cold enough here now that bait will keep, and not become a rotten stinky mess. But during summer weather the the DOH will compost the carcasses.

Re: 2020 Deer, Trail Cam pictures. - 01/04/21 10:29 AM

If you need 40 or 50 deer a month for bait, you are doing a lot of trapping.

Re: 2020 Deer, Trail Cam pictures. - 01/04/21 11:57 AM

lol. The DOH haven't gave me a single deer carcass this season, yet. That one year I did have 5 on the truck. Depends on where you put them, around here the eagles will shred a 120# deer within a week.

If I get a carcass to spare I'll take it over on the north end of the Branch Mtn and put up a camera. It won't last long.

Re: 2020 Deer, Trail Cam pictures. - 01/07/21 08:31 AM

As far as I know this is the only bear picture that my cameras got during December. I have 2 cameras on the mountain that I haven't checked, for 2 weeks or so, so I may have more bear?

In the last day or 2 I've talked to some of my bear hunting friends, and they've all told me that it was hard to find a track this season. There were quite a few bear killed in this county, we'll find out in a week or so the actual harvest.

The clock on this camera is about 3 hours fast, I'd say. So the bear walked by about 3 hours after dark. The next picture is me coming off of the mountain. Notice the temperature change, from 44* to 14*.

Re: 2020 Deer, Trail Cam pictures. - 01/11/21 07:00 PM

Not much action on the Wardney salt lick camera this last check. One of the very few daylight deer pictures. I do have one picture of 4 deer, looks like 2 adult does and 2 fawns?

If you've been following along with my deer pictures, remember just 2 or 3 years ago, I'd have pictures of 6, 8, or 10 deer on this camera? Not today. No bucks this check.

Re: 2020 Deer, Trail Cam pictures. - 01/13/21 07:20 AM

Here's a link to WV's final big game season for this winter.

https://wvmetronews.com/2021/01/11/mountaineer-heritage-season-presents-a-unique-hunting-challenge/

Found someone's deer blind the other day.

Re: 2020 Deer, Trail Cam pictures. - 02/08/21 09:14 AM

Well, I have several pictures that I'd like to share, but the "image resizer" thing that I've been using won't work for me now. Not sure, but it's probably my computer? Until I get that figured out, no more pics.

I checked the "lured rock" camera the other day, honestly, I'm not getting much action. That's pretty much the area where I've been baiting, not right at the camera, but in the area.

I was up the other day and tracked a small bobcat, it's foot isn't much bigger than a housecat. And a couple of coyotes, and a big dog.

I've got one coyote that is really mangy, it's one sick looking critter, daytime pictures of it. Otherwise all of the pictures are nightime.

The snow is melting off on the South sides, but the belly of my truck is dragging in places. Night before last, we got about 2" of new fluff. Hopefully, the 2 snows have bonded, and give me a little bit more traction. I don't have any snares set yet, but this fresh snow is 24 hours old, depending on what I track, I'm probably going to set it up today. Tough call, figure 3 hours, quarter tank of gas, and more than likely I'll need to chain up.

Above we were talking about those 40 or 50 deer carasses and all, I finally got one. I've asked the DOH guys since November. It is a big doe, so, I'll take it up on the mtn today. Might put a camera on it too.

Re: 2020 Deer, Trail Cam pictures. - 02/09/21 10:25 AM

Well, I tracked out the mountain yesterday. Not much action. A gray fox came into the road about a mile before my "lured rock" camera, and that's it. Up and back without needing (using) tire chains. It's slick. It's slick when you're going downhill, in low 4, in first gear at an idle and it breaks loose.

I didn't set the place up yesterday, it's just so hard to justify. But I'm going to wait a week or so and set it up anyway.

Here's a link to WV's bear harvest:

https://wvmetronews.com/2021/01/26/a-record-black-bear-harvest-for-west-virginia/

Here's a link to our antlerless deer harvest.

https://wvmetronews.com/2021/02/09/dnr-publishes-final-numbers-for-2020-deer-seasons/

Re: 2020 Deer, Trail Cam pictures. - 02/12/21 08:06 AM

Well, a guy stopped here at work yesterday and told me that he smacked an 11 point buck on the way home the night before. He said the deer just darted across the road and he nailed him. Someone from the DNR is supposed to drop off a tag for the animal. It's legal here to pick up a deer carcass on the road, but the man wanted to make sure it was legal to keep the antlers.

He showed me a picture, it looked to be 18 or 19 inches wide, it had a forked brow tine. The man said that he may keep the loins if it's not all busted up, then I'm supposed to get the carcass.

I haven't checked 3 of my cameras for a while now, I'll try to get to them within a week or 2.