Bobcat flagging

Posted by: coetrapper

Bobcat flagging - 01/21/20 11:24 PM

I have 2 questions about bobcat flagging I've been using whole turkey wings and fans painted half white and I was wondering if it might be a bit much and if I may be scaring the cats away from my sets instead of luring them in. my second question is this: sometimes I am trying to catch coyotes and cats so I'll make a coyote set about 20 yards from my flagged cat sets. Is it asking to much for a coyote to work a set with a flagged cat set that close by. Thanks very much for any help
Posted by: FLSH ETR

Re: Bobcat flagging - 01/23/20 06:59 PM

Looks like you hit a dry well here. I'll give it a try, but I'm no expert. You don't need much for flagging. Here in Wis, we can't use body parts for flagging. Something small and flashy will work. A strip of aluminum foil, or a CD will work. Something that the wind will move. Hang it in the area, not over your set, and three, max four feet above the ground or snow. A skunky call lure helps but again not over the set. Your baited cubby will take over after you pull the cat into the area. Don't know about your yote concern. For cats, I bury the trap but brush off the smooth flat pan for the cat's paw. I believe Hal doesn't even bury the trap. These methods should keep the yote out of your cat set. If you're looking to capture both critters, first look for sign. You can't catch what ain't there. A dirt hole baited with beaver will get both critter's attention. An MB650 will hold both. Perhaps someone else has a different/better idea.

Frank.
Posted by: coetrapper

Re: Bobcat flagging - 01/24/20 03:31 PM

Thanks very much
Posted by: ron finewood

Re: Bobcat flagging - 01/26/20 10:53 PM

Again---no expert here either. I did make a cat cubby set this past fall, on the edge of a Spruce woods, next to a grassy field. There is an ATV trail along the edge of the field, next to the woods. I had a piece of Christmas tinsel, silver color, hanging above the cat cubby. Beaver meat in the Cubby. Along the ATV trail, maybe, 50' from the cat set, I had a urine post set for canines. One morning, the cat set was ripped apart, meat gone, whole cubby destroyed, trap still set and still covered. Coyote tracks in the freshly disturbed dirt. In the urine post set was a Coyote. I will never know if it was "my" Coyote that ripped the cat cubby apart. What does seem clear is that the cat set flagging didn't scare the Coyote away from the post set.

Ron
Posted by: Ric

Re: Bobcat flagging - 01/28/20 01:22 PM

It doesn't take that much to get an animals attention. Which is the purpose of the visual attractor. Movement is important, a couple of feathers fluttering in the breeze will be more attractive than a whole wing just hanging there.

Pay attention to how you suspend the attractor it needs to move very freely.

Your large flagging should not bother most coyotes that far away