Keeping dirt from under the pan

Posted by: CoonCaller

Keeping dirt from under the pan - 08/11/05 01:21 PM

There are a lot of things trappers use to keep dirt from getting under the pan preventing it from working freely. I was wondering does anybody use a little piece of sponge, one of the rectangular dish sponges could possibly work. Think about it the sponge is compressable it will hold out dirt yet still allow the pan to drop. It should add some tension to the pan, this ofcourse depends on how soft it is. The down sides could be holding unwanted scent, soaking up water and freezing if it gets cold, added cost of buy them and probably replace them if an animal is caught. Just looking for your oppions or expierences on this subject. Thanks for listening
Posted by: b/j

Re: Keeping dirt from under the pan - 08/11/05 02:13 PM

I tried it and was not impressed. What I do now is use the "night latch " system .If it rains and the dirt gets hard and sets up around and under the pan I use a garden tool.The kind that has three or four claws and is about 10" long , the claws are hooked like your fingers would be . I use one of the claws and hook it under the pan and loosen the earth. It also works good to claw a bit at the hole set to freshen it's appearance up ! Takes seconds to do and works good!.......b/j
Posted by: tom dud

Re: Keeping dirt from under the pan - 08/11/05 03:21 PM

i agree with b/j the sponges are not all that great . i to use the night latch but when i dig my trap bed i leave a hole under the center where the chain goes . that way if it does rain a little dry dirt and you r back in business. no pan covers or anything. it takes awhile to get the hang of it but is very simple and works very well. the less complicated and time consuming the more profitable.
Posted by: Mallard

Re: Keeping dirt from under the pan - 08/11/05 04:11 PM

Night latch and ant hill chaf under the pan. No pan drop, and the chaff keeps the dirt out during rains.
Posted by: CoonCaller

Re: Keeping dirt from under the pan - 08/11/05 05:31 PM

I'm surprised more people than I thought appartently tied it. I never have used this method I usually stick with a nightlatch, and the stake is in a hole under the trap with the trap itself sitting on a ledge pounded down. I got this set in an FFG arctile written by Hal.
Posted by: Jtrapper

Re: Keeping dirt from under the pan - 08/12/05 12:03 AM

Poly fill is what I use, you can get a big bag of it at wal mart for a couple of bucks, enough to last you all season. Is what they use to stuff pillow's with for those that wonder what section it will be in. You can stuff it under the pan's of all your traps the night the before you set out and it will speed you up a little as all you do is grab a trap set it and cover, the fill is already in place.
Posted by: Kevin Upperman

Re: Keeping dirt from under the pan - 08/12/05 01:13 AM

I do the same as Jackie does. Polyfill...
Posted by: RdFx

Re: Keeping dirt from under the pan - 08/12/05 02:37 AM

I found the poly fill works great unless it freezes hard and you had alot of moisture before hand... water collects in polyfill and freezes.. trap pan no move LOL
Posted by: bobkat

Re: Keeping dirt from under the pan - 08/15/05 12:28 AM

I use Mr Coffee Brown coffee filters with a slit for the dog. Place under the loose jaw and cover with light coat of dirt or fine peat moss in freezing weather. Saw the same thing demonstrated by the USDA coyote trapper this summer. I get several uses from the same one before they need replacing.
Posted by: animalpest

Re: Keeping dirt from under the pan - 08/19/05 03:26 AM

I have used lots of sponge sponge (get it by the square metre) and have also used poly-type roof insulation batts as well as grease-proof paper on fox and dingo traps. All work well. Would use more sponge than anything tho grease proof paper is great when you are out bush for a few weeks as its easy to carry and replace anywhere.
Posted by: stu

Re: Keeping dirt from under the pan - 08/22/05 03:10 PM

With a properly adjusted trap pan i never use anything .except for real sandy soil which is another circumstance then I use cupcake pan liners to keep sand from settleing under the pan.
Posted by: skidway

Re: Keeping dirt from under the pan - 08/23/05 09:06 PM

Nothing under it-wax paper over it.
Posted by: Ron Marsh

Re: Keeping dirt from under the pan - 09/05/05 11:26 AM

I use a cap, and pack the dirt down tight around the pan, nothing under it and a light sift of dirt over it.
Posted by: Jack Turner

Re: Keeping dirt from under the pan - 09/06/05 04:17 AM

My gosh, I have used eveything under the sun- wax paper, brown paper bags, plastic bags, trappers cap, sponge, moss, leaves etc. I still do not know what I prefer, honestly. After more than 15 years, I still battle what to use each season. This is, quite honestly, my biggest mental battle each season. I have found pros and cons to just about all of them.
Posted by: trap jaw

Re: Keeping dirt from under the pan - 09/18/05 09:41 AM

I'm not real consistant with this. I have some of my traps night latched. But now there are caps made for several different traps and I have four different caps that I use for Dukes and for Bridgers, and , sometimes I'll use wax paper for a pan cover.( I know, I know, some of you guys are shaking your heads, too much stuff right? )

Never tried putting anything under the pan except for dry grass wadded up and the only reason I tried that was because it was when I was just starting out canine trapping and A buddy of mine used that method without problems and suggested it. I didn't fair so well. I had too many sets that had a nice paw print right on the center of the trap bed and a partially depressed trap pan. I'll never put anything under the pan again.
Posted by: The Beav

Re: Keeping dirt from under the pan - 09/18/05 03:45 PM

If your trap pan was partialy depressed then it wasn't what was under the trap pan that failed you but the distance the pan had to travel before it went off.
If you have the right conditions and you have a very short pan travel you don't need anything under the pan or anything over the pan.But then we never have those perfect conditions do we.

In the early season when I don't have to deal with freezing and thawing conditions I use nothing under the pan and nothing over the pan.

When things get a bit tougher.
I like screen on my traps with a large jaw spread It dosen't work as well on a small jaw spread trap.
On small jaw spread type traps I like coffee filter material.

In sandy type ground I like to pack In dry dirt, since sand has a way of working It's way under your pan.I then just sift a light coat of the natural ground over the trap bed.
polyfill works pretty good If you feel you need something under the pan just make sure you have a drain hole In the bottom of your trap bed. this will help In draining away small amounts of moisture that may build up under your trap.

Try and go natural untill conditions dictate changes to something over the pan or under.

Beav
Posted by: trap jaw

Re: Keeping dirt from under the pan - 09/18/05 03:49 PM

Your probably right Gary. At the time when I was just breaking into the canine trapping scene, I was greener than green. Didn't know nothin about nothin.
Posted by: Archive

Re: Keeping dirt from under the pan - 12/13/14 05:38 PM

Dated for Search