Offsets and lamination

Posted by: leatherstocking

Offsets and lamination - 01/14/06 05:23 PM

I have some old #3 Montgomerys that a previous trapper modified by welding lugs on the inside of the jaws to create an offset(they literally don't close fully now.) If offsets help to raise the spring lever height with an animals foot in the trap then this modification wouldn't help in the slightest.Am I right? Is that the only use of offset jaws? Further, Does lamination help to increase theholding/surface area, or does it decrease paw damage, or what. People seem to talk about it as though it's important but I don't really know why. I have had ome bobcats pull out of Number 2's, with very minimal disturbance at the set, but I don't know if this was due to toolittle pan tension, too much trap covering, or too small a trap. It just seems like offsets wouldincrease the likelihood of toe-caught animals pulling out. Any insights? THanks.
Posted by: Mike Marchewka

Re: Offsets and lamination - 01/14/06 09:14 PM

It sounds like the traps you have are some that might have mistakenly been modified incorrectly. IF a trapper welds lugs into a regular jaw trap to offset the jaws without considering the fact that the levers will be not allowed to rise to a mechanical advantage point that will hold a captured paw consistently ...THIS IN MY OPINION IS INCORRECT. Now are offset jaws bad or a poor idea...off course not. But a trapper must consider the trap and its current lever position BEFORE modification.
Case in point, the old Montgomery trap co. out of Mahaffey,Pa. made at least different two models of a #3. Now I'm not refering to the dog-on and dogless.....I'm refering to the trap lever design. One model was a thin based low lever trap the other was a better built hi-lever trap. I believe the later hi-lever trap came with offset jaw options. IF you have the regular jaw low levered #3 and it has been modified with offset lugs...it could spell trouble..lots of pullouts. Heres my advice...Check spring strength..it should be strong...in fact if you have the older low lever model you might want to four coil since you said they have jaw lamination. Second option..grind offsets down..obvious increase in lever position. Third option...sell traps start with some new better designed equipment.
Jaw lam.s do reduce the potential for paw damage as well as having strong spring strength. A wider jaw face combined with strong springs and centered chain prevent the paw from sliding across jaws. Add swiveling and you are on the right track.
Posted by: leatherstocking

Re: Offsets and lamination - 01/17/06 05:32 AM

Thank you, the sliding option is one i hadn't considered. THe traps are hung up in the shed so I can't look at them right now, but I understand what you mean. It's my impression that if the levers are high enough you have a much better mechanical advantage, so if the offset is correct then the four coils must be primarily to speed up the trap - am I right? I admit "lots of pullouts" refers just a few in two years, but I had very few traps out, and it's disheartening to lose them when there is so much time and energy invested, especially for bobcats.
THis question arose in part because I have 2 dozen #2 Northwoods i would like to use for coyotes, but if they are going to be een slightly compromised in effectiveness I won't bother adding swivels and 4 coiling, I'll just start saving $ frown THanks for your help.
Posted by: Otterwater0566

Re: Offsets and lamination - 01/17/06 02:08 PM

I'll take them NW's. Love mine and my Mont's. A strong 2 springed NW will positively hold yotes, just got 3 more yesterday. This site sells correct replacement springs if yours are weak. 2's can be used on land here with offset. Lam's help with foot damage on the 4 coils for me. 4 coils help in certain soil and weather conditions and IMO balance the traps, but are not required. Only had 1 very large Mtn. Lion pull out of my 4 coiled/offset/lam #2 Bridger, glad I wasn't quite there yet when it happened. I did see it running away. It had pumped 30 in X stakes some. Set looked bombed...
Posted by: Ric

Re: Offsets and lamination - 01/17/06 02:47 PM

If you need to off-set those #2's to legaly use them #2 Bridger jaws are available and will fit.
Posted by: Archive

Re: Offsets and lamination - 09/21/16 03:48 PM

Dated for search.