Trimming put-up beaver

Posted by: WalkonWater

Trimming put-up beaver - 03/02/06 12:45 PM

I met with fellow TA member last night and he mentioned to me that NAFA wanted beaver trimmed from front leg across the face to the other front leg. That is cut about 3/4 of an inch off the perifery on the front of the beaver.
Anyone heard of this?

WoW
Posted by: skinner69

Re: Trimming put-up beaver - 03/02/06 01:17 PM

Nope,never heard of that.
Posted by: Hal

Re: Trimming put-up beaver - 03/02/06 04:57 PM

You should trim off the lips, whiskers and the like, at least what part of it sticks up beyond the natural oval shape the pelt is stretched in. But trimming the pelt from one front leg hole to the next is nonsensical, and I'm certain it is not recommended.

smile -- Hal
Posted by: musher

Re: Trimming put-up beaver - 03/02/06 06:15 PM

I've sold to NAFA lots of times.

I've never heard of any trimming other than what Hal mentionned.
Posted by: 45/70

Re: Trimming put-up beaver - 03/02/06 10:38 PM

I have always put my beaver up in a fashion similar to what Hal describes.
Adios,
45/70,
RKBA !!!
Posted by: Trapper Joe

Re: Trimming put-up beaver - 03/02/06 11:03 PM

Just trim nose and whiskers when fleshing the face. That should amount to 3/4 inch or so. They will only measure to an inch past the eyes so leave at least that much.
Posted by: WalkonWater

Re: Trimming put-up beaver - 03/03/06 05:46 AM

Thank you folks.
Posted by: Ric

Re: Trimming put-up beaver - 03/03/06 02:01 PM

The last time I watched a fur handling demo put on by NAFA.It was pointed out that you could flesh the lips and leave them on.The reasoning behind this was that they use optical scanners to size beaver and that you could pick up a size occasionally by doing so.Tried it on a few and desided it wasn't worth the effort and if I sold somewhere else they more than likely wouldn't like it done that way.Went back to my old way of trimming them off
Posted by: Archive

Re: Trimming put-up beaver - 10/17/17 05:30 PM

Dated for search.