Setting bodygrips on the ground?

Posted by: coon killer

Setting bodygrips on the ground? - 04/23/06 06:57 AM

quest how many of u mountain men think that 220 conibears should be allowed to be placed on the ground? (such as a cubby and bucket sets)
Posted by: Mr. Otter

Re: Setting bodygrips on the ground? - 04/23/06 11:56 AM

I'm against It.
I'm sure the 220 Is a very effective coon trap and quite safe If used responsibly.And you may be the most ethical trapper In MN but how many others will be the same. It only takes one bad apple to catch some high profile persons dog and you are going to be SOL.
I'm sure there are states out there where trappers have lost the use of large body gripping traps or have had restrictions placed on them where It makes the use of the trap Ineffective. Like the regulation where you have to place the trap 6' off the ground.

Otter
Posted by: offshoretrash

Re: Setting bodygrips on the ground? - 04/23/06 02:45 PM

i you don't set them because you are scared to what does it matter if you loose the ability to set them.

i plan on setting a couple dozen this coming season. if i catch someones pet it shouldn't have been there to begin with i will be setting several miles from the nearest house. i am not stupid to go setting them close to someones home. but even if i did i would be perfectly legal in doing so as long as i had permission or on state land.
Posted by: musher

Re: Setting bodygrips on the ground? - 04/23/06 03:55 PM

The purpose of this trapping forum is EDUCATION. Debating whether or not a trapper should set a 220 in such a manner, or in a location, where non-target species might get caught isn't going to educate anyone.

It also might encourage a young trapper to develop a "dash the torpedos" mentality. That's not the type of education this site is trying to promote.

Discussing certain types of sets with 220's, in appropriate situations, might be useful and interesting. It might also be educational. smile

Re: Setting bodygrips on the ground? - 04/23/06 04:13 PM

i have to disagree musher. one of the most important things the young trappers needs is to be taught were or were not to set their traps regardless of the kind. i think that is a very educational point. to teach future generations the ethics we will have less problems dealing with the public. even though the law is on your side it don't make it right to get yourself in a situation were you could catch someones pet. but if you are in a remote area why not set what ever traps that are legal in your area.

i don't see were any post were not educational except yours
Posted by: BruceT

Re: Setting bodygrips on the ground? - 04/23/06 04:24 PM

Where do you think people use hunting dogs?Its not around houses but where you are talking about setting the traps.Miles away from houses and state lands.

Re: Setting bodygrips on the ground? - 04/23/06 04:35 PM

thank you offshoretrash i think u are 100% right. musher who are u to deside? this is ric's or hal's choice. part of trapping is knowing where and how u can catch the game animals not the pets and this is educ.

Re: Setting bodygrips on the ground? - 04/23/06 04:41 PM

i plan on setting them on 3000 acres of leased land that is several miles from the nearest house. i would not set them on state lands until all the seasons were closed even though i have a legal right to do so. our trapping season is still open after all hunting seasons are closed so there shouldn't be any hunting dogs out. if the dogs owners let them loose after season they are they are the one's breaking the law.
Posted by: Trapper Joe

Re: Setting bodygrips on the ground? - 04/23/06 06:41 PM

Some of you guys are going to go nuts over this.

I can legally set any conibear, (size 330 on down), on the ground as long as I am 300 yards or more from the nearest house. Furthermore, unless the land is posted, I do not need to ask for permission. Same for snares.

Every year a few dogs get caught but DNR says dogs should not be running at large in a resort of wildlife. I have never seen anyone hunting with dogs, but I understand it is done in a few places.

Re: Setting bodygrips on the ground? - 04/23/06 06:47 PM

joe our laws are the same there are no restictions as to were or what size conibear you can use.

i have thought about setting some cubbys for bobcats with 330s

Re: Setting bodygrips on the ground? - 04/23/06 08:02 PM

Reread my post, boys. I think you missed my point entirely.

BTW: I can set ANY BG on the ground. I can even do it right on the edge of your property. It can be on the other side of your fence in your backyard.

That doesn't mean I'm foolish enough to do it in such a location. I do set 330's and 280 mag's for lynx. These would be a dog owners nightmare. But I don't set them in area where I say "To heck with any dog." Too often dogs come with kids. If you want 50 anti's created in a few minutes catch a kid's dog. If you want huge headlines catch a kid that's wondering what that "square thing" is.

Once again, I suggest you reread my original post. Then, perhaps, CK will start a new thread like "Safe/proper placement of 220's on the ground."
Posted by: Trapper Joe

Re: Setting bodygrips on the ground? - 04/23/06 08:39 PM

Sure Musher, just because it is legal does not mean it makes good sense to set it there. Any trapper should avoid areas where people walk their dogs for instance. We always have to think of the possibility of losing trapping rights due to abusing the rights we currently have.

Around here, setting conibears on the ground for coon and fisher are important for most trappers. I would hate to lose the right to do that.
Posted by: K. Sullivan

Re: Setting bodygrips on the ground? - 04/23/06 09:12 PM

A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both.
Dwight D. Eisenhower
Posted by: Ric

Re: Setting bodygrips on the ground? - 04/23/06 09:58 PM

Coon Killer you are right,Musher's posts stay.

As for Mr.Otter being scared of setting a BG trap I don't think so.He is aware that an unfortunent catch in one may affect trappers as whole in a very negative manner though.

There are times when I discourage people from doing things that are perfectly legal.Just because something is legal sure doesn't mean it is ethical,lawyers come to mind(sorry Jim).

Large bodygrip traps on land are one of them.I've said it before and I'll say it again the only time I would accept the use of these traps(280/330) on land would be in the remotest areas by experienced and conscientious trappers,period.

220's? Honestly I'm not for there use on land either,but I'm not going to camp out on the capital steps unless they try to legalise them in my home state.Bodygrip traps are a water trap to me that is where I use them.I can keep myself plenty busy with footholds and a few snares on land.

Take heed of Kevins quote.Very apporpriate in this instance and lets watch the tone or this will come to an abrupt halt.

Trapper Joe,Remember there is a totally different mind set concerning the use of lethal devices in the U.S. compared to Canada.

Re: Setting bodygrips on the ground? - 04/23/06 10:15 PM

ric i totaly agree i would never set were i even thought i would catch someone pet or hunting dog thats common sense. i wouldn't even set a steel trap were i thought i would catch someones pet i am not that greedy that i have to take that chance.

but if i am down in a creek bottom several miles away from any homes on land were i know there shouldn't be any pets or hunting dogs i am gonna set my conibears.

were i trapped last year and were i plan on trapping this year i didn't see the first domestic track cat or dog

Re: Setting bodygrips on the ground? - 04/23/06 10:41 PM

once again i echo offshore and i agree with u ric ... if im in a spot that im 100% sure i will not get a pet i will set. musher ic your point and i do agree with a few points of yours. u dont want to lose your rights as a trapper and i respect that. but we as trappers need to take a look in full of where , how , when we set. and looking over the wildlife , pets and people.
Posted by: kingcooner

Re: Setting bodygrips on the ground? - 05/03/06 10:26 AM

i myself have a hunting dog, (redbone COONHOUND).when you release your dog, who knows where the thing is going to go. you dont know if the dog is going to tree 2-3 miles away. and the last thing i feel like doing is walking around the woods looking for a dog that is in the trap that some irresponseable trapper placed in a trail or at the base of a tree or something.If you worked hard to to buy all your traps and the next time you went and checked your traps, they were all gone, i think you would be pretty ticked. The same thing goes for a great dog. I wouldn't feel like wasting a $4,000 dog.
Posted by: Dale F

Re: Setting bodygrips on the ground? - 05/03/06 11:35 AM

Kingcooner, I am surprised that your occupation is trapping with that post. I guess I am and probably a lot of other trappers on here irresponsible, because those of us who can use these type of traps have probably put them in trails and at the base of trees. After all the idea is to put them on location. I can honestly say I have never caught a dog in a bg, and will not use this trap if I think there is even a remote chance of a dog there, however how can anyone know where a dog is going to end up. Most land I trap I can use these and do at most although some are too risky and I don't set these. Are you ticked at the person who has permission on this land to legally trap? or ticked at the fact of a dog was caught. I could understand the second one but not the first. My boys also have a redbone and he is a great dog. he is scared of nothing and can run like the wind. All this for only 200$. Now we all have had traps lifted and this ticks you off at the scum who done it even though you don't know who. I know there are people who use these traps carelessly and will probably be part of the reason they try to put them out of use. The way you made it sound though is anyone who uses these in trails or at the base of trees are irresponsible. Trails are the places where these traps work great, and rogue trees can be great spots too. I'm sure most trappers out there don't want to catch anyones dog even if they have permission to trap on this land but you or your dog don't have permiision to hunt.
Posted by: Ric

Re: Setting bodygrips on the ground? - 05/03/06 12:18 PM

This is not going to turn into a dog man, trapper arguement.
Posted by: Talachulitna Jim

Re: Setting bodygrips on the ground? - 05/03/06 11:37 PM

Ric, I once heard a rumor of an ethical lawyer, but it could not be confirmed. :-)

When I was in high school and college I trapped in central Ohio. Trapping season largely coincided with hunting season, and lots of guys hunted with dogs. It would not have been safe or ethical, even if it had been legal, to use a 330 or 220 on land in any of the places I trapped.

Up here, it's legal to use 330s on land wherever it's legal to trap. But the consequence of a few trappers not using common sense has been the loss of trapping entirely in the Anchorage area.

Incidentally, I recall a couple incidents where a dog killed in a 330 made the local news. In both cases, the trap was set where it was illegal to trap at all. So another law (prohibiting 330s) wouldn't have made a difference.

Jim

Re: Setting bodygrips on the ground? - 05/04/06 02:44 AM

im not for 330 on the ground beacuse every thing a 330 can do on land a 220 can and i am for this. yes there are ethic. trappers smile and im one of them. smile i have a very $ dog and i would not want it trapped but its also is the dogs owner to make sure the dog does not run wild. not the trappers fault. i hunt and trap and i believe that we both have the same right to be in the woods.

Re: Setting bodygrips on the ground? - 05/04/06 07:22 PM

Sorry, I'll stick to using 330s at appropriate lands sets -- I doubt a 220 would be up to dispatching wolverine, or that a lynx would even enter one.

Jim

Re: Setting bodygrips on the ground? - 05/04/06 09:01 PM

Jim: I have several lynx caught in 220's. I like a hollow log as the cubby. The cubby must be deep enough so that there is no way for the cat to go fishing with its feet. It also helps if you place the set at lynx face level.

smile

P.S. it's a very dangerous set for dogs.

Re: Setting bodygrips on the ground? - 05/04/06 10:26 PM

That's interesting, musher. I had thought otherwise; but you have far more experience than I do with that animal.

What about using a Belisle 220? Seems to me that one would hold a lynx even if caught by the foot.

Jim

Re: Setting bodygrips on the ground? - 05/05/06 01:08 AM

I don't know about the 220 Belisles. I do know that a 120 LDL mag holds them by the foot.
Posted by: mntrapper

Re: Setting bodygrips on the ground? - 05/06/06 09:59 AM

I Guess I don't know how you are setting this your coni's on the ground but in my case I set then in wooden cubbie boxes or buckets. When I constructed the boxes I cut the slots back 6-8 inches so the trap is actually back from the cubby entrance acout 4". This alone in my book is far enough back that a canine, except grey fox, won't stick his head in far enough to spring the trap. I think it was Asa Lenon that wrote on the topic of the dirt hole set, that a canine, be it a coyote, fox whatever likes to be able to see all of his surroundings and stick ing their head into a bucket or cubby box would violate that rule to the Nth degree and make them (I think) too uncomfortable. With that being said, I did construct some of the cubbies with about a six inch lip or overhang on the roof of the cubbies for trapping in an area where there is the remotest chance of a domestic dog being caught. But as far as the original question of the thread of what I think about coni's on the ground. In MN they have to be 220 or smaller and I absolutely love trapping on the ground with them. It lengthens the time in which I have to check them as the are a killer trap, sometimes that business of having to check my snares and footholds everyday becomes almost ompossible with a busy family life/ work schedule. And I also think that we should hold on to every right that we still have with dear life. I have read too many articles or threads where trappers from states in which the use of conibears is banned just simply wish they had that right. Granted I think that we would all adapt and overcome if we were no longer able to use them, but until that day comes I will continue to use my coni's on the ground in a responsible manner. Granted there are those who use them in a reckless manner but who is going to stop it but us? So do yourself a favor and take actions into your own hands and educate those who use them in reckless manner. They are a great tool and account for a lot of fisher, coons and 'cats. So lets use them while we can.
Posted by: Archive

Re: Setting bodygrips on the ground? - 10/17/17 05:36 PM

Dated for search.