Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

Traps and Equipment Archives

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#10042 - 06/02/06 07:17 PM Re: cable stakes
Mr. Otter Offline

Loc: South Carolina
When my set up Is finised the cable Is 14" long. I also add 6 links of chain to the cable stake. I then add a swivel and a J hook to hook up to my trap chain.
This allows me to drive the cable all the way In so none of It's sticking above the ground, nothing worse then having a short piece of cable sticking out of the ground. it also allows me to use one length of cable for all situations. If the grounds a bit soft I just drive In all the chain and I still have my trap chain and first swivel above ground.
I don't set my cable stakes. If you plan on setting your stakes make sure you drive them In far enough so when you set the stake you won't end up with some cable sticking above ground. That's why the chain works so good.
So you ask why not just use chain Insted of cable? Well chain Is heavy It's more expensive then cable. It drives In harder and If you can't get out the stake chain Is tougher to cut.

Otter

#10043 - 06/02/06 09:33 PM Re: cable stakes
WeakSpring Offline

Loc: MI Zone 2
You can drive the regular berkshires with an unsharpened rebar stake as well, in a pinch.

45/70 would you trust a rebar stake driven vertically into a creek bank because the bottom is to hard, or rocky? I luv mine. smile

#10044 - 06/02/06 09:41 PM Re: cable stakes
WeakSpring Offline

Loc: MI Zone 2
oops. shocked I just skimmed the posts before my reply. I see 45/70 uses pogo's, rebar does still have it's place in certain situations.

#10045 - 06/03/06 09:30 AM Re: cable stakes
Ric Offline

Loc: Wellington,OH=USA
I've been useing "cable stakes" for a long time. I use the pipe type stake end,set up very similar to Mr.Otters.If I needed to replace what I am useing now for some reason,I would look seriously at the heavy berkshire type.You can't stick a driver on them and with some care in removal they should last

#10046 - 06/03/06 12:01 PM Re: cable stakes
Seldom Offline

Loc: Midland, MI
Since were on the subject, Id like to offer a tip concerning lengths of cable stakes. Where I trap I have quite a broad spectrum of soil types that range from heavy clay to the quite sandy, loamy stuff that makes you feel youre pounding to China.

I make all of my cable stakes 24 long to accommodate all applications and load them as if they were snares! A heavy-handed, full-length pull over a rod will give you a very neat little coil of cable that will fit in the palm of your hand. If I drive only 14 in clay the balance of unused cable snaps back into its coil and lays better in the trap bed rather then sticking up. wink

#10047 - 06/03/06 12:52 PM Re: cable stakes
Mr. Otter Offline

Loc: South Carolina
Great idea seldom.
That would solve all the unruly cable ends.
But I like to drive the cable out of site and let the chain lay In the bed. But both systems would acomplish the same thing.

otter

#10048 - 06/03/06 03:41 PM Re: cable stakes
coonskinnner27 Offline

Loc: ohio
so, would a 14 inch cable stake hold a coyote? or would a coyote be able to pull it? if so should i cross stake two 14 inch stakes or use one 24 inch stake?
coonskinner

#10049 - 06/28/06 05:38 AM Re: cable stakes
Ron Marsh Offline

Loc: Oil City PA
The deeper that you drive the anchor the more it will hold. I rcommend that you always set the stake, that way you will know how well it is holding. The anchor may have stuck on the end of the driver and come part way back up the hole and not hold much.
As for cable in the trap bed tuck the extra cable down the stake hole. The loaded end is something that I will have to try.

#10050 - 07/10/06 09:37 AM Re: cable stakes
Otterwater0566 Offline

Loc: Austin, AR
Don't leave these in a hay field or you will have a very mad rancher trying to get em untangled from very expensive machinery. Same goes for old snare cable...

#10051 - 07/11/06 07:15 AM Re: cable stakes
Ron Marsh Offline

Loc: Oil City PA
It is a best bet to remove all your equipment when finished trapping. Cable in equipment is real bad. Rebar in a tractor tire is very costly.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.