Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

Traps and Equipment Archives

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#10032 - 05/31/06 03:07 PM cable stakes
coonskinnner27 Offline

Loc: ohio
what does everyone think of cable stakes? i've always used rebar stakes but i walk a lot on my trapline and cable stakes wouldnt be so heavy. do cable stakes hold animals all right and how hard is it to get them back out to reuse? thanks for any help
coonskinner

#10033 - 05/31/06 04:04 PM Re: cable stakes
archer01 Offline

Loc: N.E. Penna.
They work nice !

If your walkin, You will love cable stakes.
They work great.

Make sure YOU set them. Make sure they turn flat.

Also, If the ground is very wet, or loose, you may have
to use more than one to be sure.......

Some can be hard to get out if there are roots or big stones.
I use a pick. A couple wacks and you can pull them right up with the pointed end.

#10034 - 06/01/06 04:12 AM Re: cable stakes
animalpest Offline
Member+

Loc: Western Australia
I rarely use anything else now. I have mostly sandy soils and they work terrific.

On very rocky soils I use rebar or a steel weight as a drag.
Mike

#10035 - 06/01/06 09:54 AM Re: cable stakes
45/70 Offline

Loc: South Georgia, usA
For the past couple or three years I have been using the POGO SYSTEM, and I like it very well. Here's the link, if you need it.
http://www.pogostickanchors.com/

I make my own cable stakes using Pogo's directions.

Most of my stakes are 1/8", 7X7, SS because I have an almost unlimited supply of this cable. When it is ok with my landowners, I often leave the cable stakes in the ground from year to year. In row crop land, pasture, or sod farms make sure the landowner knows they are in the ground and where. Because these cables can mess-up some expensive equipment. In the woods or the swamp, it doesn't make as much difference. I'll let the landowners know they are there, and they usually have fewer concerns.

I use 2" fender washers in the swamp, and most of the beaver ponds (if I need a stake at all): 1½" stakes in most woods dirt, and some row crop areas, and 1-1¼" in heavy clay -- excepting for kaolin, it will usually require a 2" .

I had Pogo make a driver to my length specs, which he did at no extra cost.

If you try this system, Pay Attention To What Pogo Tells You! Do not pound the empty driver into the ground, i.e. don't rip it out of the box when it arrives, and drive it in to see how it drives! The driver needs be loaded, that is have a cable stake in the driver, before pounding it down. If the driver is not loaded, you run the risk of splitting the tip of the driver, and having to buy a new one -- the load, the cable stake, holds the tip of the driver together as it goes down.

For what it is worth, I have used several of the well known cable stake systems, and I prefer the Pogo.

One of the criticisms I have heard about cable stakes in general is that in very hard/rocky ground, or in heavily frozen ground one must first drive a pilot hole for the cable stake, and "If you have to do that, why not just double stake with rebar in the first place?".

Everyone has their own idea and way to do things.
If I have to drive a pilot hole, and then drive the cable stake, I'm driving two holes -- just like if I drive two rebar stakes -- six of one, half-dozen of the other... , but I'm only pulling one stake (the pilot driver) as I leave numbers of my cable stakes in the ground for next year.

No, I haven't "hung-up my rebar", I still use it in/for special areas.

Adios,
45/70,
RKBA !!!

#10036 - 06/01/06 09:55 AM Re: cable stakes
donwh Offline

Loc: Missouri
I went to using a lot more of them last year. For long walks in they worked great. I still like the heavy duty Berkshire cable stakes best. I use some pogo type washers and liked them for water but for land had better luck with the berkshires.
Like stated above when going to pull them out I carry a pick. Drive it in beside the stake a few times to loosen the soil then hook it with the pointed end and pry up. Only had to leave a couple this year due to roots and rocks.
good luck
don

#10037 - 06/01/06 10:40 AM Re: cable stakes
Hal Offline

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
I use more and more cable stakes all the time. However, I remain unconvinced that any system that requires some type of specialized driver and especially a highly machined driver is a good idea. If you break, bend or lose you're driver, you're out of luck. You should keep a spare handy, and ordinarily these machined drivers ain't cheap.

Talk about a differing opinions… I tried the "Pogo" system Bill has mentioned above. I tried to drive about a dozen of those anchors. Almost every stake I tried to drive "stuck" in the driver, and when I pulled up the driver, out came the stake!! I threw it in the back of the truck and never used it again. (This driver is big and bulky, and more than I want to carry around on the trapline anyway.)

The only cable stakes I use are the "Berkshire" brand. You can drive these with a sharpened rebar stake. It doesn't cost much to sharpen a rebar stake, and a sharpened rebar stake is not too much to carry on the trapline.

smile -- Hal

#10038 - 06/01/06 02:25 PM Re: cable stakes
coonskinnner27 Offline

well thanks for the input i think i'll try some cable stakes this year.
coonskinner

#10039 - 06/01/06 09:16 PM Re: cable stakes
Mr. Otter Offline

Loc: South Carolina
I still use a few re bar stakes but very few.
I have built my own disposibles and the driver Is pretty simple. Another nice thing about disposibles Is that you can cross stake just like re bar. In my case the stake Is truly disposible. In most cases I cut and run.

#10040 - 06/02/06 05:27 PM Re: cable stakes
Dktfireman Offline
Member+

Loc: New Hampshire
Mr. Otter? What do you make your cable stakes out of?

#10041 - 06/02/06 05:40 PM Re: cable stakes
ThumbStateTrapper Offline

Loc: Michigan's Thumb
I was also interested in trying c/s as well and was wondering what length you guys use for different critters?

#10042 - 06/02/06 07:17 PM Re: cable stakes
Mr. Otter Offline

When my set up Is finised the cable Is 14" long. I also add 6 links of chain to the cable stake. I then add a swivel and a J hook to hook up to my trap chain.
This allows me to drive the cable all the way In so none of It's sticking above the ground, nothing worse then having a short piece of cable sticking out of the ground. it also allows me to use one length of cable for all situations. If the grounds a bit soft I just drive In all the chain and I still have my trap chain and first swivel above ground.
I don't set my cable stakes. If you plan on setting your stakes make sure you drive them In far enough so when you set the stake you won't end up with some cable sticking above ground. That's why the chain works so good.
So you ask why not just use chain Insted of cable? Well chain Is heavy It's more expensive then cable. It drives In harder and If you can't get out the stake chain Is tougher to cut.

Otter

#10043 - 06/02/06 09:33 PM Re: cable stakes
WeakSpring Offline

Loc: MI Zone 2
You can drive the regular berkshires with an unsharpened rebar stake as well, in a pinch.

45/70 would you trust a rebar stake driven vertically into a creek bank because the bottom is to hard, or rocky? I luv mine. smile

#10044 - 06/02/06 09:41 PM Re: cable stakes
WeakSpring Offline

Loc: MI Zone 2
oops. shocked I just skimmed the posts before my reply. I see 45/70 uses pogo's, rebar does still have it's place in certain situations.

#10045 - 06/03/06 09:30 AM Re: cable stakes
Ric Online   content

Loc: Wellington,OH=USA
I've been useing "cable stakes" for a long time. I use the pipe type stake end,set up very similar to Mr.Otters.If I needed to replace what I am useing now for some reason,I would look seriously at the heavy berkshire type.You can't stick a driver on them and with some care in removal they should last

#10046 - 06/03/06 12:01 PM Re: cable stakes
Seldom Offline

Loc: Midland, MI
Since we’re on the subject, I’d like to offer a tip concerning lengths of cable stakes. Where I trap I have quite a broad spectrum of soil types that range from heavy clay to the quite sandy, loamy stuff that makes you feel you’re pounding to China.

I make all of my cable stakes 24” long to accommodate all applications and load them as if they were snares! A heavy-handed, full-length pull over a ¼” rod will give you a very neat little coil of cable that will fit in the palm of your hand. If I drive only 14” in clay the balance of unused cable snaps back into it’s coil and lays better in the trap bed rather then sticking up. wink

#10047 - 06/03/06 12:52 PM Re: cable stakes
Mr. Otter Offline

Great idea seldom.
That would solve all the unruly cable ends.
But I like to drive the cable out of site and let the chain lay In the bed. But both systems would acomplish the same thing.

otter

#10048 - 06/03/06 03:41 PM Re: cable stakes
coonskinnner27 Offline

so, would a 14 inch cable stake hold a coyote? or would a coyote be able to pull it? if so should i cross stake two 14 inch stakes or use one 24 inch stake?
coonskinner

#10049 - 06/28/06 05:38 AM Re: cable stakes
Ron Marsh Offline

Loc: Oil City PA
The deeper that you drive the anchor the more it will hold. I rcommend that you always set the stake, that way you will know how well it is holding. The anchor may have stuck on the end of the driver and come part way back up the hole and not hold much.
As for cable in the trap bed tuck the extra cable down the stake hole. The loaded end is something that I will have to try.

#10050 - 07/10/06 09:37 AM Re: cable stakes
Otterwater0566 Offline

Loc: Austin, AR
Don't leave these in a hay field or you will have a very mad rancher trying to get em untangled from very expensive machinery. Same goes for old snare cable...

#10051 - 07/11/06 07:15 AM Re: cable stakes
Ron Marsh Offline

It is a best bet to remove all your equipment when finished trapping. Cable in equipment is real bad. Rebar in a tractor tire is very costly.

#10052 - 07/12/06 03:43 PM Re: cable stakes
Trapper-Randy Offline

Loc: Pennsylvania
Hey Ron you still makeing your own stakes?

T-R

#10053 - 07/31/06 03:19 AM Re: cable stakes
Ron Marsh Offline

Yes I do. This year I have come out with an reinforced driver for heavy use. I am still working on a cable stake for use in shale rock soil.

#25454 - 10/25/17 01:32 PM Re: cable stakes [Re: coonskinnner27]
Archive Offline

Dated for search.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.