Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

Traps and Equipment Archives

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#10423 - 01/13/06 01:41 AM Re: Snare breakaway device
scout Offline

Loc: Northeast PA
The tail from the lock to the swivel is about 28"

#10424 - 01/13/06 01:50 AM Re: Snare breakaway device
archer01 Offline

Loc: N.E. Penna.
Ric, They were made by a Trap shop near hear. I assume he uses manufactured parts rated by them.

RiverOtter, Loop cannot be any larger than 38" diameter.
Which should make a 12" loop.
Cable cannot be longer than 6' from anchor point to the relaxing lock contacting the minimum loop stop.
Minimum loop stop is 2 1/2 inches diameter for deer.

#10425 - 01/13/06 03:15 AM Re: Snare breakaway device
scout Offline

archer,

It is loop circumference which cannot be greater than 38" that makes approx. diameter of 12". I am using a 5 ft. total length cable with max stop at 38". A 10" loop is pi X 10 = 31.4". Total length of the snares I am using is 60". So 60 - 31.4 = 28.6 for tail dimension.
Pa regs would allow 72" for total length of snare.
scout

#10426 - 01/13/06 03:21 AM Re: Snare breakaway device
RiverOtter Offline

Loc: Monashee Mtns, British Columbi...
I was curios about the length of the snare, because if a yote can build a little steam before hitting the end, he can generate a lot more force. Attachment height is another factor, the higher the snare is tied off, the less force the coyote can generate when it hits the end, more like a pendulum.

This may sound dumb, but are you 100% sure it was a coyote in both cases? I know you have snow on the ground but I am also figuring you set on an established trail, which could be used by both coyotes and deer.

Another idea may be to use your forearm in the snare to see just how easy the BAD opens up. Not a scientific method by any means, but would still give you a better idea of how hard a critter would have to pull to open one.

RO smile

#10427 - 01/13/06 11:56 AM Re: Snare breakaway device
81 Offline

Loc: steelville missouri
i have had the same exact problem here. i ran snares for a little over a week here and i caught 11 coyotes but i had to watch two of them run away after straightening out those flimsy j hooks. i think the lock is getting hung up between the tip of the bend and the shank. when that happens you can straighten em out easily by hand.

#10428 - 01/13/06 02:54 PM Re: Snare breakaway device
Ric Offline

Loc: Wellington,OH=USA
Just a word on BAD's.They will not hold every coyote that gets in your snare a very high percentage,yes but not every one.The two examples of losses mentioned 2 for 2 and 2 for 11 are high but unless there are records of a large number of catches with those particular BAD's those numbers may be meaningless.Not to you that lost the Coyotes but statisticly.BAD's rateings are greatly affected by wire diameter a few thousands of an inch means a great deal.If you have ones that failed and others that have held compare them.Look at the design of your BAD's.I prefer a tight radius in the ends.This means the lock will always be contacting the BAD at very near the same place.Reduceing the chance that the lock can move to a point where increased leverage will help open the BAD

#10429 - 01/13/06 05:08 PM Re: Snare breakaway device
scout Offline

Riverotter,

Yes they were coyotes, there was fur in the lock. I cannot open the j hook with my arm in the snare by pulling on it. I'm not sure I want to take a running start at it though.

#10430 - 01/13/06 08:34 PM Re: Snare breakaway device
RiverOtter Offline

Loc: Monashee Mtns, British Columbi...
quote:
------------------
I cannot open the j hook with my arm in the snare by pulling on it. I'm not sure I want to take a running start at it though.
------------------

LOL, I wouldn't either. I was thinking if a 30# yote could pull one open with a few feet of run, you should have no trouble pulling one open with a little pressure.

Like Archer01 said, talk to Snare Shop.

RO smile

#10431 - 01/13/06 09:33 PM Re: Snare breakaway device
archer01 Offline

Loc: N.E. Penna.
River Otter, Here in Pa. we are not allowed to have any entanglement bigger than 1/2" of wood. When you stated about attachment height did you mean like up a tree? I think that is what you meant and is a good point. I understand it, but not a factor here in Pa. We can have no entanglement whatsoever. So we have to stake to ground. No possible chance of hanging either. We almost need a 12 foot circle with nothing but weeds. There hard to find and a catch ruins it.

Trappinman81, Have you figured a way to elimiate the end from
hanging up in the j-hook? Would it be legal to put a very small washer in there? Is it legal to pinch them a little tighter?
Is there a better BAD ?
Hey, this is all new to us here in Pa.
Scout and I could use any help you have.....

#10432 - 01/13/06 10:50 PM Re: Snare breakaway device
81 Offline

Loc: steelville missouri
i look at every part of a snare after a catch is made and every one of the j hooks was opened up far enough that i could slide the lock right off of it. every single one.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.