Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

Traps and Equipment Archives

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Topic Options
#10671 - 08/15/06 07:19 AM Split rings holding power
A.J. Offline

Loc: Collins, New York
I checked the trapping archives and could not find the answer. Does any one use split rings for attaching their traps to cable stakes. All my traps have box swivels at the end so the split ring will attach to box swivel and the cable for the stake. Is this strong enough for a coyote?

Thanks

AJ

#10672 - 08/15/06 08:43 AM Re: Split rings holding power
Hal Offline

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
I have never had a coyote open up a split ring. However, I have opened them up in trying to pull up a cable stake with a stale puller. Frankly, I've given up on split rings, now I use quick links for almost everything. For me, quick links are easier to manipulate than split rings.

smile -- Hal

#10673 - 08/15/06 01:22 PM Re: Split rings holding power
Obejoyful Offline

Loc: Chino Valley, AZ
As a dryland trapper only,Arizona is a desert you know. I have to rig all my traps for the possibility of catching a coyote. While split rings may be alright for grays and cats I just have no faith in them for coyotes. As does Hal, I have full confidence in quick links.

You might get away with split rings once or twice with a coyote in a trap but sooner or later one will fail and you'll lose both your trap and coyote.

When dryland trapping always be thinking coyotes and rig your traps accordingly.

#10674 - 08/16/06 10:06 AM Re: Split rings holding power
A.J. Offline

Thanks for sharing your experience; I am a firm believer in not using something if there is a chance it could fail. I appreciate your thoughts.

A.J.

#10675 - 08/17/06 09:08 PM Re: Split rings holding power
BillWI Offline

Loc: Bonduel,WI,US
I've used split rings for three years now and the only time i've had one open is with my cable stake puller. Thats a five foot rod pulling with all the force I can muster. Then even sometimes they won't open. All of my dry land traps have the ring attached to the swivel so all I have to do is attach to the cable stake. I tried a few quick links and the problem I had was freezing up since most of my dryland trapping is in Dec. Then i Have to use a pliers to open them. With the split ring I carry a small flat screwdriver to open the end of the ring. Even if I lose that(which is more often than not) Most rings have gap where the cable can slide on then over the end. Guess just my personal preference.
Bill

#10676 - 08/18/06 08:20 AM Re: Split rings holding power
45/70 Offline

Loc: South Georgia, usA
I bought a dozen split rings 2 years ago in order to give them a try out.

I, as some of the rest of you, have had them open when pulling with my cable stake puller.

However, that is not my real concern. Maybe I am not connecting them properly, but it seems to me that they are setting you up for theft. It's too easy to disconnect the trap from the cable stake. In areas with high trap theft, the thieves might come prepared with tools. In my area the occasional thief, or hunter, who takes my traps , does not carry tools. The cable stakes are too hard for them to pull, and there are more secure ways to attach the traps. The split rings make stealing a trap too easy.

Adios,
45/70,
RKBA !!!

#10677 - 08/18/06 08:59 AM Re: Split rings holding power
animalpest Offline
Member+

Loc: Western Australia
I use split rings but only for adding extra springs and then they are welded! I am a great fan of quick links and prefer to snitch up all mine with pliers, to stop theft in some areas and in others just to be sure on big canines. I dont like taking chances on anything giving way after a terrible experience some years ago of losing an animal with a trap still attached - it's only ever happened once and it still gives me the dry horrors!
If there is any doubt (and obviously you have cos you posted the question), DONT!
Mike

#10678 - 08/28/06 08:29 PM Re: Split rings holding power
RATSKINNER626 Offline

Loc: NEW YORK
If you do want to use split rings find a linemen supply company(electric/telephone). On the gaffs there is a strap that goes across the foot and it is attached with a spring steel split ring. Can be difficult to get on but held several 60 lb coyotes here in NY. They chew the dogs up on Sleepy Creek #3 but haven't had one split-ring damaged or failed yet. They don't rust well because their treated but soak them in vinegar and they will take wax and dye. By the way vinegar works on plated chain also. My cousin and I have been using it for years. Takes about two weeks but its hard to find uncoated chain anymore.

#10679 - 08/29/06 08:15 AM Re: Split rings holding power
A.J. Offline

Thanks for the info!

#25460 - 10/25/17 01:34 PM Re: Split rings holding power [Re: A.J.]
Archive Offline

Dated for search.

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.