Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

Traps and Equipment Archives

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#10697 - 03/24/06 09:08 AM Re: Snares vs. cable restraints
Hal Offline

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
For the record: They asked if I would "participate", and they had a copy of the "Ohio Snaring Guide" with I compiled and edited. I think they got some ideas from the Ohio Snaring Guide. As far as input, I personally wasn't asked for any, after the initial inquiry. I think I got in the credits because of the "Ohio Snaring Guide".

As far as "cable restraints" and the general public, I don't think that is where the all the "politics" is aimed. The general public is not necessarily opposed to snares. Witness Florida and New Jersey where snares are legal after some (or most in the case of Florida) of the other traps have been outlawed. I think this is aimed directly at houndsmen, who in general are opposed to snares, under the false impression that snares are still tied to bent-over saplings and will choke all their dogs.

But Ric has hit the nail right on the head. Using the term "cable restraint" can leave everybody, including trappers, with the impression that these devices are somehow fool proof. The emphasis should always be on entanglement, not the device. You give me a cable restraint, and a barbwire fence, and I can choke down darn near anything that gets in that "cable restraint". Conversely, as I said above I can take one of their so called "snares" set it in a non-entanglement situation, and use it to restrain the animal until I get there and decide its fate.

It gets even sillier when you consider that this set of regulations, prohibits setting "cable restraints" (non-lethal snare) in entanglement situations. Why not just prohibit setting "snares" in entanglement situations? That will give you a non-lethal snare too. Do you see how this terminology B.S. is misleading, and putting the cart ahead of the horse? And/or do you see how these regulations were promulgated by folks without an adequate knowledge of what they were doing?

Here's another one -- a maximum loop stop. These snares (I mean cable restraints) are required to have a maximum loop stop, an extra piece of hardware on the cable and extra expense to the trapper. Now… watch closely… I'm about to perform a magic trick…l "You cannot… set a snare with a loop diameter of more than 15 inches". That's taken directly from Ohio regulations, no stop required. DUH!!!

Yes, this is a sore spot with me. One of my goals has always been to help trappers make educated and informed decisions about their tools and techniques. And also to advocate that trappers be treated as something greater than second class sportsmen. Regulations like these fly in the face of both of those precepts.

frown -- Hal

#10698 - 03/24/06 09:49 AM Re: Snares vs. cable restraints
45/70 Offline

Loc: South Georgia, usA
Ric and Hal are both in the X-ring in their views on this subject. About all I can add is that somehow the term cable restraint is, among other things, intended to imply that there is a tool better than snares. It is a term that produces a smoke and mirrors environment. It is intended to confuse.

The snares that my pard and I use for coyote live work will not qualify as cable restraints under any of the several statutes I have read defining cable restraints. Yet, our snares, illegal under these cable restraint definitions, produce the same results -- better, if our percentage of lost coyotes is figured in.

Adios,
45/70,
RKBA !!!

#10699 - 03/24/06 07:24 PM Re: Snares vs. cable restraints
FLSH ETR Online   content

Loc: Cudahy, Wisconsin,USA
WI sure put the hammer down on regulating the cable restraint, compared to the snare, with regards to what you may not do. But, interestingly, the first no-no comes in the max. length of the cable. Snare=not exceed 5 feet. Cable restraint=not to exceed 7 feet. How come? confused Frank cool

#10700 - 03/25/06 06:08 PM Re: Snares vs. cable restraints
wabi Offline

Loc: Southern Ohio (near Blue Creek...
I think of a "snare" as being a general term describing several types of devices using a loop of flexible material such as stranded cable (or string or thin wire) to capture animals. A "snare" can be set to be lethal or non-lethal and could also use a powering device to make them lethal, depending on the trapper's desired results and/or the legal requirements for the jurisdiction where they are set.
A "cable restraint" is a specific type of snare set to be non-lethal and to merely hold the animal until it is released or dispatched by the trapper.

Aparently, some states don't use the same descriptions. To me, saying "setting a snare" would compare to saying "driving a truck". Saying "setting a cable restraint" would be more like saying "driving a Ford Ranger". Just a more descriptive term to narrow down the choices.

#10701 - 03/26/06 08:38 AM Re: Snares vs. cable restraints
Mike Marchewka Offline

Loc: Crystal Lake,Illinois
Wabi, excellent example...very descriptive.

#10702 - 03/28/06 05:36 PM Re: Snares vs. cable restraints
Newt Offline

Loc: Port Republic,South Jersey & C...
In New Jersey we have what is called (by the state) a RETAINING SNARE
This gives the animal that gets cought in the RETAINING SNARE. The chorice of
1- Just sitting there.Like a dog on a leash
OR
2- comiting suicide by wraping him self up around what ever he can find.
It's all up the the animal !!!!

"IF" I had to obay the Cable Restraint laws that WI. and PA.have. (obay is the key word)
The FIRST thing I would do is. Call Asa Lenon, and get some privite instuctions on how to make a BLIND TRAIL SET in freezing and snow conditions.Useing a #4 Double Long Spring Leghold Trap

#25378 - 10/17/17 12:26 PM Re: Snares vs. cable restraints [Re: Jim Ramsdell]
Archive Offline

Dated for search.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.