Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

Traps and Equipment Archives

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#10687 - 03/22/06 11:45 PM Snares vs. cable restraints
Jim Ramsdell Offline

Loc: Fairfield, Maine
Same thing or are they?? Isn't using the term "cable restraint" just a politically correct way of saying "snare" Gosh, the lengths politicians will go to keep the non-trapping folks happy.

Jim

#10688 - 03/23/06 12:35 AM Re: Snares vs. cable restraints
RiverOtter Offline

Loc: Monashee Mtns, British Columbi...
Not to me. When I set a snare, I fully expect it to dispatch the critter its targeting.

The biggest difference between "Cable Restraints" and "Snares" is entanglement. This does not include powered snares or compression springs, which can take the place of entanglement.

RO smile

#10689 - 03/23/06 12:44 AM Re: Snares vs. cable restraints
Mike McChurin Offline

Loc: NE Oklahoma
To simplify the answer. Yes and No.

Cable restraints can be built to have the same lethal capabilities as "old fashioned" snares or they can utilize modern advancements and be used as a live restraint device.

Perhaps Hal or another accomplished snareman can fill you in on the details of similarities and differences between C.R.'s and snares.

Mike

#10690 - 03/23/06 02:30 AM Re: Snares vs. cable restraints
Newtrapper07 Offline

Loc: Mondovi Wi
so basically a cable restraint is considered a non-lethal snare set?

#10691 - 03/23/06 03:01 AM Re: Snares vs. cable restraints
Hal Offline

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
They are the same thing, except for some foolishness in Wisconsin.

For awhile, I was against this term "cable restraint" but upon further consideration I'm not so sure it is a bad idea. One might consider this to be similar to the terms "leghold" trap, and "foothold" trap. I insist on using the term foothold, because it is more descriptive of that device, and it is more politically acceptable to the non-trapping public - particularly given the past concern over animal's legs. So I don't want to appear to be too hypocritical in opposing the term "cable restraint".

However, for the Wisconsin DNR to use the term "snare" and "cable restraint" both in promulgating their regulations is just one more example of the silliness with which typifies this project. I don't know if these people were trying to be cute or cleaver, but they achieved neither. What they have done, however, is confuse the trappers, the very people they were supposed to be "helping".

Let's turn this back around and use the foothold/leghold terminology. Let's write a regulation that says "legholds" can only be used in water at a lethal set, but "footholds" can be used on dry land in a restraining set. Are you beginning to see the siliness in this? Oh sure, we could (and many places do) limit the size of a foothold trap that can be used on land, but if you use a bigger trap in the water it's still the same kind of trap!

Yes, the "cable restraint" has different requirements in these regulations but it's still a snare!! And, you give me one of these Wisconsin "snares", and a clear non-entanglement situation in which to set it, and presto-chango I'll make it into a cable restraint without doing a darn thing to it!

So all this cable restraint/snare hokum has done, is confuse people. One term or the other would be fine, not both.

Here is the bottom line, a foothold trap can be used in a lethal manner (in a drowning set) or it can be used as a restraining device - so can a snare. A "cable restraint" is supposed to be a non-lethal snare.

(Footnote: These Wisconsin regulations are about as much fun as syphilis. And in my opinion are worthy of being contained in a like manner.)

frown -- Hal

#10692 - 03/23/06 03:24 AM Re: Snares vs. cable restraints
Hal Offline

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
Hold on!

As silly as this bull$hit is, there really is a difference in Wisconsin regulations between what they define as a "snare" and what they define as a "cable" restraint - even though they are both snares by anyone else's definition. You'll have to figure out the regulations before you decide what configuration of snares to by or what configuration of snares you can use. Don't get yourself in trouble.

smile -- Hal

#10693 - 03/23/06 04:39 AM Re: Snares vs. cable restraints
avidhunter Offline

Loc: Traverse City, Michigan
(Footnote: These Wisconsin regulations are about as much fun as syphilis. And in my opinion are worthy of being contained in a like manner.)

-- Hal smile

Hal, Thats too funny. Even if I don't know how much fun it is to have syphilis. wink laugh JJ

#10694 - 03/23/06 05:32 AM Re: Snares vs. cable restraints
WACKYQUACKER Offline

Loc: CORRALES, NM
The fun of syphilis is in the getting. Remember, you get syphilis from the waitress but not from the food she serves!

#10695 - 03/24/06 02:58 AM Re: Snares vs. cable restraints
Mike McChurin Offline

Loc: NE Oklahoma
I think we have found a sore spot with Hal.

Hal, weren't you asked to help design the regs for "snaring" in WI? If I remember correctly they asked for your input and then totally ignored it.

Or maybe I'm thinking of something else.

Mike

#10696 - 03/24/06 01:14 PM Re: Snares vs. cable restraints
Ric Offline

Loc: Wellington,OH=USA
Lets keep it on track.This is about cable restraints not the author's of Wisconsin's regulations.
I have had trouble useing the term "cable restraint" not because it is a improper term.It isn't.Actually it is accurately descriptive for a non-lethal snare and may be more acceptable to non trappers than "snare",not carrying the negative connotations that the word "snare does for the general public.
My problem with "cable restraints" is the false impression implied by those that developed them that they are something superior than a non- lethal snare

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.