Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

Traps and Equipment Archives

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#10837 - 11/24/08 04:52 PM Gloves or not?
bassman Offline

Loc: Virginia
This question is for the land trappers, do you wear gloves or not. What type of gloves do you wear, what are they made of. Why do you wear the gloves??

Thanks Aaron

#10838 - 11/24/08 05:58 PM Re: Gloves or not?
haf2sell Offline

Loc: SW Michigan
Yes!

Footholds: Setting, remakes- One pair for each. Depending on temps, weather, I will wear either Jersey types, or leather with a jersey or ragg wool insert. Always have a few replacements if I lose one, or they get too wet.

Dryland conis- always regardless of temps- easier to get the hand/finger out if needed mad (and doesn't hurt so bad)

Luring- usually rubber gloves, but sometimes get lazy and use bare hands, & pour from the bottle shocked

As for why- Odor reduction; hand condition; weather (temps/rain)

#10839 - 11/24/08 10:22 PM Re: Gloves or not?
CoonCaller Offline

Loc: Formerly NY, now TN
Yes I wear gloves while setting only, bare hands to lure. If its dry weather warm or cold I will wear jersey gloves (keeps hands clean and fairly warm) If its wet out I will use rubber gloves keeps hands dry. If your wondering why I don't use them in luring its easyier to handle bottles without them and helps cut down on scent contamination

#10840 - 11/25/08 01:04 AM Re: Gloves or not?
2870express Offline

Loc: New Mexico
Absolutely, have tested by not wearing, and trippled dig ups, and lost time animals spent at sets by K-9s. Bob cats not so much.

#10841 - 11/25/08 05:31 PM Re: Gloves or not?
Ldsoldier Offline

Loc: Raleigh, NC
I'll quite often wear some regular work gloves, and take them off when handling lure.

#10842 - 11/25/08 11:14 PM Re: Gloves or not?
bassman Offline

Loc: Virginia
Thanks, I didn't wear any much last year and had some dig-ups and was thinking that gloves may help. Thanks to all

#10843 - 11/26/08 12:11 AM Re: Gloves or not?
Newt Offline

Loc: Port Republic,South Jersey & C...
No Gloves. When its cold I wear gloves. Then take them off to make a set.

#10844 - 11/26/08 01:40 AM Re: Gloves or not?
Hal Online   content

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
The key here isn't whether or not you wear gloves, it's whether or not you contaminate your traps with odors that animals are likely to dig for. My policy is to wear clean gloves to handle traps, then use my bare hands to handle lures and baits. It's perfectly acceptable to go the other way around and handle your trap with clean hands, then put on gloves for lures and baits.

If it's "human scent" you're worrying about transferring to your traps, your barking up the wrong tree. The miniscule amount of scent your hands might leave on a trap is inconsequential, compared to the amount of scent that comes pouring off your body as you make the set. Besides, "human scent" will not cause animals to dig up your traps.

Frankly, you might want to consider some other causes of dug up traps, such as poor bedding.

Hal

#10845 - 11/26/08 03:23 PM Re: Gloves or not?
skipper Offline

Loc: .Manheim Pennslvania
I wear a nitrite glove dipped in rubber fits snug not tight and keeps water at bay . Reason for glove wear. is to keep the dirt from tearing up my hands. When gang setting I make all sets then put on a pair of disposable gloves, use my lure then throw them in a container on the side of my trap basket (they don't get used again) The only reason I wear gloves to lure is I hate my hands getting lure on them because I know I will inadvertinly grab some thing that I shoulden't with stinky hands.

#10846 - 11/26/08 03:45 PM Re: Gloves or not?
ohbuyer Offline

Loc: Ohio
No gloves

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.