Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

Traps and Equipment Archives

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#10980 - 08/09/06 11:46 AM J Hook Strength -- Welding Needed?
A.J. Offline

Loc: Collins, New York
Does anyone feel that the J-hooks on a box swivel in the trap chain need to be welded? Has anyone ever had a J hook straighten by a coyote?

Thanks

#10981 - 08/10/06 01:35 PM Re: J Hook Strength -- Welding Needed?
northern trapper Offline

Loc: Wood Buffalo, Alberta, Canada
I have never had one straighten but they will start to open up after repeated catches so they need to be inspected regularly

#10982 - 08/10/06 04:18 PM Re: J Hook Strength -- Welding Needed?
skipper Offline

Loc: .Manheim Pennslvania
I never had one open up but I have had them break. After opening and reclosing, From now on I weld all, and only use them once If I have to open one ,I discard them and throw them out and get a new one.

#10983 - 08/10/06 04:50 PM Re: J Hook Strength -- Welding Needed?
A.J. Offline

Loc: Collins, New York
Thanks for the advice guys.

#10984 - 08/10/06 07:46 PM Re: J Hook Strength -- Welding Needed?
Hal Online   content

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
Welding J-hooks is something you will see “recommended” in the Coyote BMP. I argued against that. It certainly doesn’t hurt to weld them shut, but I don’t want to see anybody go too far out of their way to get it done. I don’t weld mine.

smile -- Hal

#10985 - 08/11/06 12:11 AM Re: J Hook Strength -- Welding Needed?
tnoll Offline

Loc: central PA
A.J,make sure after you pull your traps to check out the J-Hooks good. I double stake and have opened some up when having trouble pulling the stakes and hooked onto the J-Hook or swivel.

#10986 - 08/11/06 03:30 AM Re: J Hook Strength -- Welding Needed?
northern trapper Offline

Loc: Wood Buffalo, Alberta, Canada
One other thing to consider is that like me in the north country you have to change over from stakes to drags usually by the end of November. Thus if you weld your hooks you will have to cut and replace them rather than just prying open and then reclamping in a vise.

#10987 - 08/11/06 04:10 PM Re: J Hook Strength -- Welding Needed?
skipper Offline

Loc: .Manheim Pennslvania
When I switch to drags I just add TWO split rings to add my extra chain . No J hooks to open.

#10988 - 08/19/06 05:09 AM Re: J Hook Strength -- Welding Needed?
BillWI Offline

Loc: Bonduel,WI,US
Like skipper said keep an eye on J hooks especially if you open and close them. This weakens them and the chance of failure increases. The only time I've had them open is when pulling cable stakes and even if they don't open inspect them. I've used the MB swivel on all my dry traps and have yet had any problems. Well worth the little extra cost.
Bill

#10989 - 08/19/06 02:14 PM Re: J Hook Strength -- Welding Needed?
45/70 Offline

Loc: South Georgia, usA
What weakens the J-hooks (rivets) when they have been used over several times, are stress fractures - similar to bending a piece of wire back & forth until it breaks.

I have re-used J-hooks and S-hooks (same problem exists with both) several times w/o disaster striking. It has been recommended that these hooks be closely examined before re-use. There is nothing wrong with this advise, but stress fractures can be very hard to see.

The best test for me to detect stress fractures and weakness in these hooks is their feel when opening or closing them. I can feel a difference in the resistance to opening or closing, and when one of these hooks goes, "soft", I immediately feel it and replace it. I also throw away, it right then! I fling it out in the beaver pond or a long way from my dirt set. I don't put it back in my pocket - that IS a disaster looking for a place to happen.

Adios,
45/70,
RKBA !!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.