Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

Traps and Equipment Archives

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#11187 - 10/24/05 01:06 PM are jump traps adequate by todays standerds?
foss4936 Offline

Loc: weston,maine
ive been looking at a lot of foot traps lately in magazines and on the net all of the traps ive seen are either long springs or coil springs. however i didnt see any jump traps, its not that i like jump traps but was wondering if they are still made , or they just dont compare to todays traps. any hints?

#11188 - 10/24/05 02:02 PM Re: are jump traps adequate by todays standerds?
mountainman33 Offline

Loc: Central Maine
No, jump traps are no longer manufactured and they are not the trap by which we get our standards today, that said, I still employ a good number of these traps on my rat & mink line. For these two species I find the 1 1/2 jump trap to be an ideal choice. They also make a darn good ermine trap if you are going after any, so good in fact, they are almost a killer trap for ermine because most of the ones I've captured in one have been held firmly around the body and were dead as dead gets when I retrieved them. If you've got some jumps, don't hesitate to use them for these species. Also, I wouldn't set to target any coon but I have held some big ole' boars in a 1 1/2 jump, so as long as the spring is strong it should hold the incidential coon catch. Good Luck!

...MM...

#11189 - 10/24/05 03:26 PM Re: are jump traps adequate by todays standerds?
Hal Online   content

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
Manufacturers stopped producing jump traps in the late 1980's. I believe they were just too costly to produce, and could no longer compete price-wise with coils. However, they are adequate traps.

smile -- Hal

#11190 - 10/24/05 04:20 PM Re: are jump traps adequate by todays standerds?
skipper Offline

Loc: .Manheim Pennslvania
I was buying some jump traps at a Pa. convention one time .and a good friend of mine came buy and told me to give them to my compation . when I asked why I got no good answer I have been useing jump traps forever. they very seldom get weak because the base is also springsteel when they get ahold on something they don't let go. I also like them for mink. Even the Little 0's are strong .
I never did get Charlie Dobbins to tell me why he didn't like the jump traps.

#11191 - 10/24/05 04:20 PM Re: are jump traps adequate by todays standerds?
foss4936 Offline

Loc: weston,maine
thanks for the info
one more question are # 14 toothed jumps valuable

#11192 - 10/24/05 07:07 PM Re: are jump traps adequate by todays standerds?
Coon_Gitter Offline

Loc: Hillsdale NY
Not meaning to get to off topic, but what are jump traps?

#11193 - 10/25/05 10:03 AM Re: are jump traps adequate by todays standerds?
nickb Offline

Loc: Eastern Ohio
I own and use a bunch of jump traps. One thing I found about them, the hard way! On the #1's and 1-1/2's, I don't own any larger ones, there is a built in problem so to speak. Now I'm talking about mink trapping here ok.

It seems on most of mine, with the frame actually being part of the "spring" system, it tends to warp the frame a bit when you load tension on the trap by setting it to the point that it puts a certain amout of bind on the loose jaw. This caused me a problem once that I can remember for sure on missing a mink. Slowed the action just enough I suppose that I missed him. They make a pretty darn good coon and rat trap though.

Just my two cents worth.

#11194 - 10/27/05 02:43 AM Re: are jump traps adequate by todays standerds?
45/70 Offline

Loc: South Georgia, usA
I have said this time and time again, In My Opinion, the # 14 Jump is the best foothold trap made for otter when fur trapping. When we trapped for various re-introduction projects, it was not the best choice. As a fur foothold trap for otter I want no other. They are legal in my state for water sets. I have been told that they are legal in 38 or so states as water sets and some land sets.
Are they valuable? The average going price is appx. $25.00-$35.00 used. Beware of some of the used trap dealers selling you traps with very weak springs. I had one sell me four of these, after telling me that they had extremely strong springs. If you can compress the spring on a # 14 with one hand and set it, the trap is weak, and good only for a wall hanger. The dealer who defrauded me on these weak traps, of course, refused to made good on the sale.
Adios,
45/70,
RKBA !!!

#11195 - 10/27/05 07:05 PM Re: are jump traps adequate by todays standerds?
minkman63 Offline

Loc: Ohio
I agree with most here...They are super for mink and ermine and muskrats. I have also found that coon can pull out of them especially Victors. I have some Blake & Lamb 1 1/2 jumps that are very strong and hold coon well..The 1 1/2s are good drowners for the smaller animals too..extra weight helps..

#11196 - 10/29/05 01:57 PM Re: are jump traps adequate by todays standerds?
Paul Fox Offline

Loc: Deckerville mi.
I use a number of #1 jump traps for mink and rats.They work fine for me. wink

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.