Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

Traps and Equipment Archives

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Topic Options
#11397 - 04/14/06 01:04 PM how to stabilize a 110 ?
Z.Straatmann Offline

Loc: Missouri
How do you set a connibear without it falling over when they run in.

#11398 - 04/14/06 09:28 PM Re: how to stabilize a 110 ?
JuniorTrapper22 Offline

Loc: MN
What works for me is by sticking sticks through the springs and into the ground on both sides. If you experiment with it at home a little, you will see what i mean, and how it works.

#11399 - 04/14/06 09:35 PM Re: how to stabilize a 110 ?
JuniorTrapper22 Offline

Loc: MN
Im sorry, i just read that it was a 110 connibear, i dont think that would work then, what might is if you use a garden stake and a corn cob going through the circle part of the spring at the end. I read this somewhere so they thought it works.

(Edit: Passing along second hand informaiton, can get you in trouble here. Read the statement at the opening Trap Line Help page. Stick to what you know. -- Hal)

#11400 - 04/14/06 10:30 PM Re: how to stabilize a 110 ?
Dale F Offline

Loc: Erie, IL
When who runs in? For rats, I use wood lathe and put through the spring with jaws resting in run just as if you set it there. This works for me and is quick. Big weed stalks like horse weeds will work if you run out of lathe. I keep the trap on the farthest setting to give the jaws a wider stance.

#11401 - 04/15/06 08:07 AM Re: how to stabilize a 110 ?
Ric Online   content

Loc: Wellington,OH=USA
A couple of small sticks just inside the corners of the frame,larger stick wedged inside the spring,a varity of comercial stabilizers.To work effectivly body grip traps need to be stabilised.I'm sort of partial to Sullivans Stabilizers.Let your imagination be your guide.

#11402 - 04/15/06 08:13 AM Re: how to stabilize a 110 ?
Mr. Otter Offline

Loc: South Carolina
Use a lath and some wedges. Run the lath through the spring eye then shove In the wedge. Now your trap will be solid on the lath. now you can shove the lath down In the bottom and your trap will be stable.
The one problem with the wedge system Is that when the trap goes off you might just lose some wedges. To solve this problem just use a length of twine to tie the wedge to the lath. When the trap goes off the wedge will float to the top and you will know If your trap has been sprung. This works well In deep water where you have to rise the trap to see If you have made a catch.
You can also purchase stands that fit the 110.

Otter

#11403 - 04/15/06 04:13 PM Re: how to stabilize a 110 ?
Riverliner Offline

Loc: New Brunswick
I simply use material found on site usually?An alder or beaver stick 1.5" dia through the spring eye is often enugh.Use a smaller stick or two as wedges to tighten things up.You can shove a stick or two between the spring arms as well if neccessary or lean a stick on the opposite side from spring on a 45 between the jaws and over the dog to stabilise,fence the run and create a dive stick.Always wire the spring eye or chain solid to your anchor stick for underwater sets or you will have cold wet hands retreiving or worse lost traps and fur.
Although suitable stakes can usually be found on site,if you are setting alot of traps or in the cat-tails,having pre-cut and sharpened sticks ready is a good idea.

#11404 - 04/15/06 08:31 PM Re: how to stabilize a 110 ?
BillWI Offline

Loc: Bonduel,WI,US
Most of my 110's are stabilized one of two ways. Some of them I drilled out the rivet on the side opposite of the spring and then put a 6-8 in 1/8 rod through the hole and weld a washer above and below the hole in the jaws. Then I can put a stick through the spring to keep the trap from turning.
The other way is that most of my stakes are metal rods with a two inch flat washer welded to the top. All I do is slide the washer into the spring and then bend the trap to where it need to go. The nice thing is that the rod also works as the trap stake and when the trap fires the rat will pull the trap off the washer and it will be out of the run.
Bill

#11405 - 04/15/06 10:04 PM Re: how to stabilize a 110 ?
Dale F Offline

Loc: Erie, IL
Maybe I'm lucky. I just put lathe through the spring with jaws set wide in rats run. No wedges or anything crossing over top, just in the run like that. I don't keep a record of percentage missed to caughtthis way, but if this method didn't work, I wouldn't use it. The biggest thing you can do to hurt youself rat trapping is make it complicated. Another thing you could do is wrap your trap tag around one spring and take the chains off. This will save time from tangles and wieght.

#25449 - 10/25/17 01:30 PM Re: how to stabilize a 110 ? [Re: Z.Straatmann]
Archive Offline

Dated for search.

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.