Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

Traps and Equipment Archives

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#11406 - 09/20/05 03:54 AM Wood trap stakes
trap jaw Offline

Loc: Lancaster Co. Pennsylvania
I want to try wood stakes for canine trapping this year prior to ground freezing. I got some wood strips from a local cabinet shop that are the perfect size. To keep the trap ring from sliding off of the top of the stakes I ran a stainless steel screw into the stakes about 2 inches from the top. Should these screws be waxed. I thoroughly cleaned them then worked them through some dirt.

#11407 - 09/20/05 12:13 PM Re: Wood trap stakes
Hal Online   content

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
Not necessary.

smile -- Hal

#11408 - 09/20/05 01:24 PM Re: Wood trap stakes
Ric Offline

Loc: Wellington,OH=USA
Your stakes will split where you ran the screw through.Better to take the screw out and run a piece of ~14 ga wire through the hole make several wraps of wire around the stake then tuck the end of the wire back under the wire wraps

#11409 - 09/20/05 01:39 PM Re: Wood trap stakes
Hal Online   content

I once made a bunch of wood stakes out of 1" X 1" oak tomato stakes that had been discarded. These were for the water line and usually I would be wiring off to the stake with a slide wire. To keep the wire from slipping off over top of the stake, I used half a 16 penny nail.

I came down about 1 inch from the top, and drilled a hole in the stake just slightly smaller than the nail. Just a couple light taps with a hammer drove the nail in place, then with the moisture on the trapline, they rusted in place and became permanently affixed. Drilling the hole like this relieved the stress on the stake and kept them from splitting.

smile -- Hal

#11410 - 09/21/05 12:49 PM Re: Wood trap stakes
trap jaw Offline

Well, I didn't mention that but I did predrill the holes, as you stated, with a bit just smaller than the screws. I'm thinking I'll be okay.

#11411 - 09/21/05 02:56 PM Re: Wood trap stakes
Chicken Offline

Loc: Syracuse NY
Will wood stakes stand up to a fox or coyotes punishment. I was under the asumption that wood stakes were a nono for k9's. If this is the case what size would be good to use for coyotes. In Up State NY we have very good soil where I am no Sand. How much chain would be used

#11412 - 09/22/05 02:39 AM Re: Wood trap stakes
trap jaw Offline

You'll be allright for fox. I can't say for coyotes cause I've never trapped them. Use hardwood at least 1 1/2" x 1 1/2". I'm using a length of 14 inches.

#11413 - 09/22/05 01:28 PM Re: Wood trap stakes
Hal Online   content

Personally, I think you'll be much better off with steel stakes for trapping canines. They will hold up better being repeatedly driven into hard, dry ground, and will more readily accomodate the standard end fasteners.

smile -- Hal

#11414 - 09/24/05 10:49 PM Re: Wood trap stakes
trap jaw Offline

For repeated use, yes the steel is a better choice, however, wood is light, easier to carry and needs no boiling and waxing. For fasteners, I use crunch proof swivels and simply added a trap ring with a rivet to the swivel to accomodate the wood stakes. If I need to switch to steel stakes, I'm already set up with the swivel.

All in all, having a supply of wood stakes will save me time and energy and I do have plenty of steel if I need it. Everyone has their preference and style for doing things. I'm going to give wood a try this year.

#11415 - 09/26/05 04:19 PM Re: Wood trap stakes
wmthrower Offline

Loc: Mexico, NY
Chicken, I live north of you and you may want to experiment with wooden stakes to see if you can even drive them in the ground deep enough to be feasible. Where I am the wooden stakes aren't practical for land trapping in my opinion. Now on the water line where frost isn't a concern, I use wood exclusively.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.