Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

Fur Handling Archives

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Topic Options
#11534 - 12/13/05 03:46 PM Freezing whole animals
tnoll Offline

Loc: central PA
Can you freeze the whole carcass and skin and flesh later, or does this hurt the fur?

#11535 - 12/14/05 07:27 AM Re: Freezing whole animals
Andy M Offline

Loc: Lacona, NY
Hello River Rat -

Yes you can freeze the animal whole and skin out at a later date. Depending on what you intend to do with the hide you need to keep in mind a couple of things. First, If you plan on seeling to a taxidermist slippage will be a concern when it's thawing. When dealing with fox or coyote, the ears will thaw out first, so while the rest of the carcass is thawing out bacteria may set in and cause the hair on the ears to slip. Second if you do freeze for a long period of time, wrap it up tightly in a plastic bag and get out as much of the air as possible, other wise you will have freezer burn on the ears and feet. That will make skinning a bit tougher.

That it from my point of view. I do taxidermy on the side, so the best thing to do is skin as soon as possible, then proceed to the tanning process. There is a product called Stop Rot that can be appiled to areas where slippage may be a question, but that's getting into the taxidermy side of handling hides.

Hope this helps!

Andy

#11536 - 12/14/05 08:29 AM Re: Freezing whole animals
Hal Offline

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
For all intents and purposes in won't hurt to freeze an animal whole to be processed later. However, if you are going to leave it in the freezer for more than a week or two, you should wrap the animal up in a plastic bag to protect it from freezer burn.

I was once asked to do a skinning demo at a spring trapper's meet. They gave me a coon that had been just laying loose in the freezer since trapping season. This coon was freezer burnt on each leg, all the way to the elbow, and the entire face was freezer burnt. The skin was the same consistency as cardboard, and I could not finish skinning it.

Also remember, if you take these animal out to skin later, you'll need to let them thaw in a "cool" place. It will probably take 24 hours or more to thaw the animals. A big beaver can take two days to thaw.

smile -- Hal

#21075 - 12/12/14 09:38 AM Re: Freezing whole animals [Re: tnoll]
Archive Offline

Dated for Search

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.