Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

Fur Handling Archives

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Topic Options
#11748 - 11/02/06 04:53 PM Fur Slipping After Soaking
ADKMtnTrapper Offline

Loc: South Carolina
i tried to soak a coyote skin in soapy water(i heard that it was good to get blood out) but when i dried it the belly hair started to slip but thats it. my question is would it still sell for desent money or will they dock alot off from it or should i just give it away or do something with it at home??

#11749 - 11/02/06 04:59 PM Re: Fur Slipping After Soaking
Beaver_spanker Offline

Loc: AR
If a pelt is showing signs of slipping most buyers won't buy them.

#11750 - 11/02/06 10:52 PM Re: Fur Slipping After Soaking
WACKYQUACKER Offline

Loc: CORRALES, NM
In the future don't be soaking your hides in soapy water. Soap is "basic" (alkali) in nature. Basic solutions are exactly what are used to slip the hair to make leather; acidic solutions "set” the hair in the follicles. By "soaking" your skin in soapy water you inadvertently loosened the hair. Furthermore, coyotes are fairly thin skinned and can be slipped more easily than other type pelts.

To "wash" your skins simply rinse them in water. If the blood is dried hard, it’s ok to soak them a few minuets in water to loosen the clots.

#11751 - 11/03/06 06:27 AM Re: Fur Slipping After Soaking
NEbowhunter Offline

Loc: Holdrege, Nebraska
i've washed a bunch of coyote pelts and i soak everyone. i pull them out of the freezer and soak them in luke warm water with some detergent to clean em up. then ring them out and soak them in some fabric softener for a while and it softens right up. usually 10 to 15 minutes soak for each solution. been doing it for years and my dad did it before me and we've never had a problem with one slipping unless the problem was there before the soaking. ie, a little bit of green belly, or a little too hard on the belly of an early coyote with the fleshing knife can expose the roots of the hair. a little soaking to loosen up the skin and it pulls right out. not saying its right but i don't have them slip and i never have a coarse matty looking coyote.

#11752 - 11/03/06 07:16 AM Re: Fur Slipping After Soaking
ADKMtnTrapper Offline

Loc: South Carolina
Thanks guys i really appreciate the help, i dont think ill be soaking furs again ill stick to washing it laugh but when you do wash or even soak furs do you do it after you flesh it or before??

#11753 - 11/03/06 07:59 AM Re: Fur Slipping After Soaking
NEbowhunter Offline

Loc: Holdrege, Nebraska
i wash coyotes before fleshing. thats my chance to get rid of all the blood clots and burrs before i flesh. keeps the sewing time down. can be kind of a catch 22. then you want to be sure not to drop them in the fat or get a bunch of fat on the pelt.

#11754 - 11/03/06 01:55 PM Re: Fur Slipping After Soaking
WACKYQUACKER Offline

Loc: CORRALES, NM
Just for clarity, there is a world of difference between soap ( fats “dissolved” / “cooked” with lye; sodium hydroxide, a very strong base) and detergent. Furthermore, there is a big difference among detergents: cationic (net positive charge, base like), anionic (net negative charge acid like) and zwitterionic (positive and negative charge on the same molecule, neutral)...and I don't have the faintest idea which commercial "detergent" has which type of charge. I will say that once the hair is set, with even a weakly acidic soak, the pelts can be washed with strong detergents and degreasers

#25469 - 10/25/17 01:37 PM Re: Fur Slipping After Soaking [Re: ADKMtnTrapper]
Archive Offline

Dated for search.

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.