Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

Fur Handling Archives

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#12200 - 01/05/06 10:06 PM fur shed
coongreaser1 Offline

Loc: ohio
thinking of making one can you guys post pics please
thanks
coongreaser1 out

#12201 - 01/05/06 10:52 PM Re: fur shed
NEbowhunter Offline

Loc: Holdrege, Nebraska
In the process right now. Wish i was done to show pics. Log cabin style out of old cedar poles. One thing i recommend to save room for if you can find it is an old washer/wringer. Throw my coyotes in there with some soap and let er stir for a while then wring em out and hang to dry a little before fleshing. Handy laugh

#12202 - 01/06/06 02:38 PM Re: fur shed
LUCKY Offline

Loc: ILLINOIS
Ive got the same question. My brother and I are thinking about building a fur shed ourselves. Pics would be nice.

smile Thanks

#12203 - 01/06/06 09:01 PM Re: fur shed
littleguns Offline

Loc: Jay, Maine
They are like a garage or tool shed (never big enough) so plan accordinly.
If you live where it is cold you will want some heat so your hands don't fall off.
Make shure you have room to skin and flesh and hang drying pelts. Also a table is handy, a work bench is always two narrow. Remember it isn't fun working on top of yourself, give yourself room to breath. Mine has a dirt floor where I do my skinning and fleshing, personal preferance.
Good luck laugh

#12204 - 01/06/06 10:06 PM Re: fur shed
coongreaser1 Offline

Loc: ohio
why a dirt floor?

#12205 - 01/07/06 01:16 AM Re: fur shed
K. Sullivan Offline

Loc: Northern Ohio
I don’t think I would ever build a fur shed by looking at someone else’s pictures. I would CAREFULLY think about what I want. I would make a scale drawing of what I was thinking. I would make scale templates of what I wanted, so I could rearrange then on paper. Then I would once again think about what I wanted, and how I wanted to do things. Then I would think about it for a few days. Every day I would go over in my mind how I wanted to do things. I would set up a little area just to make sure I had enough room to skin. Then I would make a set up to see exactly how much room I needed to flesh. Then I would just think about things for a few days. Then I would see how much room I needed for a heater, and how I was going to heat it. Then I would rearrange my templates, and think about things for a few more days. Then think about where you are going to sharpen knives. Think about where you are going to hang furs
What I am trying to say is your fur shed should be very individual to meet your needs, and you should think about it very carefully. If you are going to build a shed you might as well try to get it right the first time. Take a couple, three months to think about it and figure it out. It’s amazing, if you think about something for awhile, and keep rearranging things in your mind, how you can keep coming up with better ideas before you ever get started building. If you don’t rush into the project, and think long enough before acting, you can keep coming up with new ideas, an end up with exactly what you need to meet your requirements.

#12206 - 01/07/06 01:43 AM Re: fur shed
Mike McChurin Offline

Loc: NE Oklahoma
Make sure you get the roof high enough that you can raise the gambrel up if you skin "long" critters. Mine is only a little over 8 feet at the highest. So when I skin coyotes or cats, I am usually on my knees by the time I get to the critter's head.

Mike

#12207 - 01/07/06 01:53 AM Re: fur shed
Anonymous
Unregistered

I totaly agree with Mr. Sullivan. I can suggest somethings you might want to include in your building but in the end it needs to be a personal prefferance.
In my shed I included two sinks, one is a bathroom sink for washing my hands, the other a utility sink for washing everything else. A wood stove for heat a ceiling fan for circulating warm air, electricity, a radio and tv so as to provide some bacground noise and distraction from looking at the clock when you have piles of animals to process. A chair for the table, and one for the fleshing beam, more comfortable I am the better job I do. A small refridgerator and microwave, cause the little lady wont allow me in the kitchen till I bathe and change my clothes, something about blood grease and odors I dont know what shes talking about (lol) And lastly a telephone.
Just some ideas and to share whats in my place, In fact Ive just finished my place started building it back in the summer. Also I built my building out of a small pole barn garage package. 24'x24' and cost only $5000 including the concrete floor. (Indiana price)
Josh Crissen

#12208 - 01/07/06 01:53 AM Re: fur shed
K. Sullivan Offline

Loc: Northern Ohio
If you put you gambrel on a winch you can keep raising the critter as you skin it. The winch allows you to keep the animal at a comfortable working height, so you don’t have to kneel, or bend. If things are getting a little low you can just raise the winch a couple of cranks. It doesn’t take a very fancy winch to do the job.
So Mike is correct, make sure the ceiling is high enough.
Things keep coming up, the longer you think about them. The ceiling height is a fine example. Don’t rush into the shed; just keep thinking about what you need.

#12209 - 01/07/06 02:06 AM Re: fur shed
FLSH ETR Online   content

Loc: Cudahy, Wisconsin,USA
K.S.
You're right on the money about taking time to think out all of the details of the project. Look head first to see what you need to make room for. Account for any special needs you require first, then build. But I'll have to disagree with you on your comment about looking at pictures. The 'thousand words' may suggest things that the young dude has not thought of yet. Pictures of a hook here, a pulley there, a table by a window instead of against a blank wall, racks of pegs, hooks for clothes lines, you get the picture.(pun intended) With pictures, you can combine the ideas of ten shacks into one and not have to remodel a year later to accamodate something you just saw and liked. Besides, I think we all would like to view what others are using. Just my 8d's worth. laugh Frank. cool

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.