Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

Fur Handling Archives

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Topic Options
#12299 - 07/30/06 07:27 AM Snares and fur damage
Ric Offline

Loc: Wellington,OH=USA
This isn't about weather you get docked for snare marks

My question is do you see greater "apparent" damage to the skin and fur with a snare that chinches down tight.

#12300 - 07/30/06 08:40 AM Re: Snares and fur damage
Newt Offline

Loc: Port Republic,South Jersey & C...
What animal are you refuring to?
A fox will expire fast with a tight closing snare.
A coon might fight harder ,the tighter the snare gets.If you keep a coon comforable it wont fight as hard as one thats uncomforable.

#12301 - 07/30/06 09:18 AM Re: Snares and fur damage
Ric Offline

Loc: Wellington,OH=USA
Any of them Newt.just general observations

#12302 - 07/30/06 01:08 PM Re: Snares and fur damage
redsnow Online   content

Loc: WV
That's a tough question to answer, and remain family-friendly. Here in WV, we're required to have a "deer-stop" or "break-away" on dry-land snares. i really think it boils-down to en-tanglement. an animal body-snared and allowed to tangle will most likely have "fur-damage", or worse. Neck snared animals allowed to tangle, should go down quick, with little damage. Best I can do.

#12303 - 07/30/06 04:37 PM Re: Snares and fur damage
Hal Offline

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
What a good question.

Does a snare that cinches tighter cause more damage? No.

Generally, if the lock tightens up good, the snare remains in one place. If the snare moves around very much it is going to cause damage. The lock can pull fur. Also if it doesn’t tighten down sufficiently, the cable can “roll” into the fur and make a real mess.

Some of the damage from a snare, and some of the marking of the leather depends primarily on how much and how hard the animal has “struggled” in the snare. Lethal snares mark less than nonlethal snares. With nonlethal snares, animals that do not entangle often show less markings than those that do.

I’ll use the example of a beaver here. If you snare a beaver, and allow it to get back into the water where it feels safe, it will struggle less and have less of snare mark, than one you snare and hold on dry land. The beaver on land is struggling all night long to get back into the water.

Mind you, I don’t think any of this “fur damage” or “marking” would cause any serious long term injury for these animals if they were released, but it does reduce the current value of the pelt.

I really think this is again one of those circumstances where the lock actually plays a secondary role to the circumstances at the set. On an ending note, I do believe if you dispatch a live animal in a snare, you will get less marking if you remove the snare from the animal immediately after it has expired.

smile -- Hal

#25467 - 10/25/17 01:37 PM Re: Snares and fur damage [Re: Ric]
Archive Offline

Dated for search.

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.