Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

Fur Handling Archives

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Topic Options
#12493 - 06/26/06 05:05 PM Selling to Local Fur buyers
AndyZWI Offline

Loc: Central Wisconsin
How do most of you get your fur to market? I am thinking of using someone other than my local guy here in WI and want to know is there a better alternative?

#12494 - 06/26/06 09:45 PM Re: Selling to Local Fur buyers
Dale F Offline

Loc: Erie, IL
Who is your local buyer? and why do you want to use another?

#12495 - 06/27/06 07:53 AM Re: Selling to Local Fur buyers
Ric Offline

Loc: Wellington,OH=USA
"Is there a better alternative" Well that depends.If you put fur up in a manner that it is acceptable to other buyers there may be.Myself I use different venues to market my catch.International auctions,State trapper assoc. auctions,private sales and local buyers.I only sell put up fur,this gives me some flexibility.
I see you are in Wisc.,There is a receiving depot for a International auction in your state,several country buyers, a couple traveling buyers,and a trapper assoc. sponcered auction available to you.
Sounds as if you were disappointed,what was the problem?

#12496 - 06/27/06 09:01 AM Re: Selling to Local Fur buyers
AndyZWI Offline

I do put up most of my fur and I understand that the fur that I do not put up, coon and beaver, will have to go to the local buyer. It seems that I am not getting a fair price for the fur I do put up and I am getting frustrated. For example $10 for a LG grey fox seems low to me for last year. I do not claim to be an expert in the field of buying and selling fur and I trap for the pure enjoyment of it, so I am not looking to make a fortune, but it would be nice to get a fair price and help with the expenses!Is it more economical to go through other resources to get my fur to market or should I stick with the local guy and try negotiate a little more? I plan to trap more than I ever have this year and anticipate a larger catch, I guess that is why I ask.Thank you all for the help.

#12497 - 06/27/06 12:19 PM Re: Selling to Local Fur buyers
Ric Offline

Loc: Wellington,OH=USA
Useing your example "a lg Grey fox" the $10 may have been a fair price.All Grey Fox,or other fur,are not created equal.
If I am going to sell to a local buyer.I'll give them a call tell them what I have and what I want for them.If we seem to be in the same ballpark I'll take the time to run them to his shop and and see if we can come to an agreement.If I get there and the prices have mysteriously dropped durring the elapsed time.They will go back in the truck,if he wants something after that he can come to me.I don't waste other peoples time and don't appreciate others wasteing mine.
There is the requirement that you have a good idea of what your fur is really worth if you are going to do this.That necessitates haveing some good sources and being able to objectively look at the skins you have,assigning grades and sizes that are oppropriate.Sizeing is rather straight foreward,grades on the other hand can get down right complicated.Selling to a country buyer,If you could honestly sort your catch into 3 catagories (good--bad & the ugly laugh )that would certainly help a great deal.Let him resort your gradeing, when something is moved ask why.If it is because of something you just don't see ask him to show you a skin that doesn't have the defect so you can compare. It is a learning process and one that will take some time and an objective eye to become even moderately proficent at.
That all being said probably the last thing you want to do is to market you fur in a way that you lose controll of it. If you don't have any idea of what it is really worth chances are you will never be satisified.

Remember that buying fur is a business.There is nothing that requires a buyer to pay you any more for your fur than the price you both agree on.It is up to you as a seller to establish what is acceptable.If you have done your homework and they are actually trying to buy them for less than there real value you shouldn't have much trouble finding someone who will meet your expectations

#12498 - 06/27/06 03:00 PM Re: Selling to Local Fur buyers
AndyZWI Offline

Thanks for the advise, I guess I really need to do my homework and get more assertive during the sale. Keep up the great service you all are doing for this sport.

#25399 - 10/17/17 12:32 PM Re: Selling to Local Fur buyers [Re: AndyZWI]
Archive Offline

Dated for search.

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.