Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

Fur Handling Archives

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Topic Options
#12533 - 12/16/10 01:08 AM Sewing furs!
X2big4u Offline

Loc: Central , NJ
I was wondering what people are using to sew rips or holes in fur? What type of thread ?

#12534 - 12/16/10 02:51 AM Re: Sewing furs!
Minktrappingman Offline

Loc: Oswego county N.Y.
I asked that same question to a local taxidermist and he told me 1 Lb. test fishing line or dental floss. The dental floss has a flat side so its less likely to cut through the leather during stretching. He also recomended sowing holes using the baseball stitch. Thats the needle going through the leather, then back through the hole being sown up.and keep repeating till its all sown up. Also use a hook tool or toothpic to remove the hairs from under the sowing loops so the sowing is invisable on the fur side.

#12535 - 12/16/10 01:12 PM Re: Sewing furs!
gibb Offline

Loc: North Bay Ontario
A glovers needle is good for heavy leathered skins like beaver and coyotes. Look for the 2 and 1/4 inch size glovers needle they come in a number of different sizes, any smaller and you will have a heck of a time to thread the needle. Next when using a glovers needle if the needle is hard to push thourgh the hide sharpen it.
To sharpen a glovers needle lay the flat sides down and push over a diamond stick or sharpening stone.
Using the right thread is also very important I highly recommend a waxed thread used in sewing awning. you can get it in 30 yd rolls or 180yd rolls in the course thread not the fine.

To close the hole, sew in a circle around the outside of the whole then pull tight and knot a couple of times. When sewing only push the needle in a couple of layers of skin do not go to deep and push the needle right through the skin, you will pull hair through with each stitch and the sewing job will look rough.

For smaller animals like fox and marten use a regular sewing needle just sharpen the tip. Use coat button thread that is heavy and will not break easy. Use the same method as above. If you try using a glovers needle it will spilt the thread will pull out of the pelt.
If you tear the animal across a length then sew back and forth the length of the tear, knot the thread every few stiches so it does not come apart on you.

Sewing holes and tears is important, if a grader sees a hole right away they are concerned. Little hole now but when the skin is dressed big hole and buyer will place a claim.

Jim

#12536 - 12/16/10 02:49 PM Re: Sewing furs!
Ric Offline

Loc: Wellington,OH=USA
When repairing ragged holes I'm not afraid to do a little trimming before I start.Ideally the hole will have the shape of a football before I start sewing. Long axis of football shape matching long axis of skin.Evening out the shape of the hole will allow you to get the fur to lay correctly much more easily.I also use a Glover's needle on heavy skins on lighter skins I used a curved needle. Sharpen your needles.Common needles to work with cloth are produced with a rounded point so they pass between the individual threads in a piece of cloth, not what we are looking for

#12537 - 12/16/10 03:01 PM Re: Sewing furs!
Hal Offline

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
I use a curved "sacking" needle and waxed dental floss.

Hal

#12538 - 12/17/10 01:57 AM Re: Sewing furs!
X2big4u Offline

Loc: Central , NJ
Thanks for the info guys! Gibb thanks for the detailed photos and that's a nicely fleshed beaver !

#12539 - 01/04/11 01:06 AM Re: Sewing furs!
Alabamatrapper Offline

Loc: Hueytown,Alabama
Gibb, was that beaver clean skinned or rough skinned and fleshed. Never had one look that good!Beautiful work.

#12540 - 01/04/11 04:40 AM Re: Sewing furs!
brlawi Offline

Loc: Wisconsin
Some people use 2-4 lbs. monofiliment fishing line doubled also.

Bryce

#12541 - 01/04/11 02:13 PM Re: Sewing furs!
Hal Offline

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
I tried that, but I found that dental floss is easier to manipulate than monofiliment. It's more like thread. Monofiliment is about half like wire. smile

Hal

#27286 - 01/08/20 03:58 PM Re: Sewing furs! [Re: X2big4u]
Archive Offline

Dated for search.

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.