Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

Fur Handling Archives

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Topic Options
#12578 - 03/04/11 10:00 PM Canine Ears My Way
Seldom Offline

Loc: Midland, MI
I finished putting up the last of my fur this afternoon so I took some photos of how I do a couple of things. This is what I've come up with that for me is a super easy method of doing canine ears, especially coyote's. With this method I can be assured of not ripping them off or ripping the critter's face off!! The important tool I use for this is a spoon handle.

Insert handle from ear base to tip in between ear leather and cartilage. Remove handle insert scissors in space created and snip. Spread apart a little and snip each corner at bottom edge of ear. Grasp with pliers and pull. Two pieces of cartilage out and a very nice looking ear left.

It goes so quick that it takes me longer to type this then to peel a set of coyote's ears. I added photos of red job because I thought they might depict the method a little better. It's not easy trying to take photos one-handed that I found out.

Coyote-

Fox-

(Edit: Photos archived. -- Hal)

#12579 - 03/04/11 11:51 PM Re: Canine Ears My Way
musher Offline

Loc: Qc.
Very interesting.

You work from the fur side once the hide is off the animal. I work from the flesh side with the cartilage staying on the carcass. The end result is the same but yours has less risk of messing up. Easier on the thumbs, too.

Thanks for posting. The photos are a great help.

#12580 - 03/05/11 02:21 AM Re: Canine Ears My Way
Hal Online   content

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
Excellent illustration. That's how I do it on pelts I'm going to tan.

Hal

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.