Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

Fur Handling Archives

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#12848 - 07/28/05 10:22 PM electric knife for fleshing?
trapmall Offline

Loc: south bend IN
I just read an article in FFG about Florida coons and the subjects fleshing techinque was very interesting. It said that he used an electric fillet knife to flesh the coons and was easier than a fleshing knife. Has anyone ever tried this, and does it work better or worse than traditional fleshing?

#12849 - 07/29/05 12:06 AM Re: electric knife for fleshing?
The Beav Offline

Loc: Oregon WI
I also read that article. If you look close those hides look pretty rough to me.
I would also think you would dull the blades pretty fast and would have to be resharping quite often.
But I guess you will never know for sure untill you try.
If you already have a electric filiet knife I would try It but If you have to go out and buy one I think It would be to costly.

Beav

#12850 - 07/29/05 12:55 AM Re: electric knife for fleshing?
musher Online   content

Loc: Qc.
After reading that article I wondered if an electric knife, like some people use for the Xmas turkey or roast beef, would work.

I must admit that I didn't like what the electric knife did to dinner! laugh

#12851 - 07/29/05 03:26 PM Re: electric knife for fleshing?
Okiekajun Offline

Loc: Golden Meadow, Louisiana
Read the same...did anyone do the math on his catch to cash report. If I remember right it comes out to about 13$ per hide. For Florida coon he must be doing something right.

#12852 - 07/29/05 10:38 PM Re: electric knife for fleshing?
trapmall Offline

Loc: south bend IN
Okiecajun
I did the math as well and couldn't believe that. That's one reason why I asked the question. It's sounds to easy. But like the Beav said, those skins don't look that great.

#12853 - 07/30/05 01:04 PM Re: electric knife for fleshing?
Hal Online   content

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
Often times, when things seem too good to be true… that is indeed the case.

wink -- Hal

#12854 - 07/30/05 01:34 PM Re: electric knife for fleshing?
Ric Offline

Loc: Wellington,OH=USA
I tried it once with an electric knife.Flordia fat may be different that Ohio fat as I found it slow and not very effective on the back of the neck and base of the tail.Those areas had to be done the old fassioned way and the whole skin finished off with a one handed scraper before I called it done

#12855 - 08/02/05 03:03 AM Re: electric knife for fleshing?
RiverOtter Offline

Loc: Monashee Mtns, British Columbi...
Read an article in B.C. Trapper (if memory serves me) about a guy using an electric grinder with a plastic brisseled wheel for yotes, beaver, and coon. He said it was a bit messy, but did an excellent job of cleaning up a hide. Anyone else read something similar.

I'm not sure there is an easy way to flesh hides, only harder ones. Maybe I'm just stubborn, but I think I'll stick with my necker.

RO smile

#12856 - 08/02/05 01:21 PM Re: electric knife for fleshing?
Bobber Offline

Loc: Arcade N.Y.
Hey River Otter, I wonder if that guy wore a wet suit when he fleshed his hides? I'll bet it WAS messy! laugh I agree with you, I'll also stick to my old fashioned scrapers for now smile

#12857 - 08/09/05 05:16 PM Re: electric knife for fleshing?
bobkat Offline

Loc: Ruckersville, Va
Tom Tyree with NAFDA on the Eastern Shore of Va. talked about this and said he saw some good results but it takes practice like all other methods.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.