Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

Fur Handling Archives

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Topic Options
#12916 - 03/29/06 03:01 PM dryer as fur tumbler
cheesewiz Offline

Loc: ohio
I have a old dryer i want to use as a fur tumbler bit i do not know how to switch it over to 110.If anybody could explain it to me i would appreciate it. Thanks

#12917 - 03/30/06 03:24 PM Re: dryer as fur tumbler
WayneAmerica Offline

Loc: Nebraska
My basic understanding of electricity tells me 220 can't be converted to 110. You'll need another 220 outlet installed... something I'm actually looking in to myself currently. In fact, I'm going to start another thread about dryer use.

#12918 - 03/30/06 03:58 PM Re: dryer as fur tumbler
Ric Offline

Loc: Wellington,OH=USA
The only thing in a dryer that uses 220/240v are the heater elements and you wont be useing them.Take a look at the motor lable.It will tell you what you need to know.If you don't understand the lable you need to find someone that does too help you before you burn something down.As for 220v not being converted to 110v,I would bet you have 220v service to your house and a whole bunch of 110v outlets in it

#12919 - 03/30/06 04:53 PM Re: dryer as fur tumbler
WayneAmerica Offline

Loc: Nebraska
I actually thought about my response after I submitted it... I apologize... it should have read, "Don't take unnecessary risk, just ask an electrician," and then submitted my other post. Certainly, advise or discussion on something of that nature should come from a professional, wouldn't you agree Ric?

I've seen moderators take a pro-active stance in quite a few posts, keeping discussions on track, and most importantly, on trapping... might be an opportunity right here.

#12920 - 03/30/06 09:07 PM Re: dryer as fur tumbler
Hal Online   content

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
(Enter the pro-active moderator, for cryin' out loud. However, I believe the conversion of an old dryer into a fur tumbler is most distinctly a trapping topic.)

If it is of interest to anyone, 220 volts is the potential difference between the two 110 lines that come into your house. The potential difference between either one of these 110 lines and the neutral line is 110 volts. It's not really a conversion process, with 110 you are just using half of the 220.

Now, I can all but guarantee you that the motor that that turns the drum in your dryer is 110. I am assuming that you want to replace the 220 cord that is on the dryer now, with a 110 cord that can be plugged into any common outlet. I can't help you with that, and I'm not sure that anyone around here can. And frankly, I'm not sure how far I would want to follow "electrical advice" that I received from a trapping forum.

Best thing to do is consult with someone who for sure knows what they're doing -- like an electrician.

smile -- Hal

#12921 - 03/31/06 12:40 AM Re: dryer as fur tumbler
FLSH ETR Online   content

Loc: Cudahy, Wisconsin,USA
Messing with a UL listed assembly could spell trouble, especially if the modification results in a fire that destroys acres of prime trappin' areas. (bodily harm not withstanding) Why not use an old gas dryer? It's 110 volt. Just don't light the burner. confused Frank. cool

#12922 - 03/31/06 03:28 AM Re: dryer as fur tumbler
Mountain Cur Offline

Loc: Louisiana
I totally agree with Hal, but it shouldn't be too hard find someone nearby that can help you to do it right. I know that if I were to do it, all I would have to do would be to get my uncle to help me (a retired electrician). Or my brother in law who works for the power company, and I know a couple of electricians who wouldn't charge me anything to show me how run a 110 cord to the motor laugh .

#12923 - 03/31/06 05:21 AM Re: dryer as fur tumbler
cheesewiz Offline

Loc: ohio
Thanks for the responses. I looked at it closer and decided that i would probably end up frying myself so i called a friend who does work for the power complany. he got it running and done right in about 30 minutes. Thanks guys

#25395 - 10/17/17 05:31 PM Re: dryer as fur tumbler [Re: cheesewiz]
Archive Offline

Dated for search.

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.