Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

Fur Handling Archives

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#12998 - 10/23/06 04:50 PM Re: Skinning Skunks
Ten Shot Offline

Loc: Mauston, Wisconsin
Thanks for that advice Hal. Before I attempt to cut the glands from a skunk I do believe I will watch a video or watch someone else do it first!

#12999 - 10/23/06 06:45 PM Re: Skinning Skunks
TrapperScott Offline

Loc: Cologne, Minnesota
I'm a beginning trapper but I have retrieved the essence out of three sunks so far and saved it in a bottle for later sale.

If you want to find a way to dispatch skunks without them spraying buy Rob Erickson's book "Innovative Skunk Control."

Rob is from the Nussiance animal control sector which is kind of like pest control only with wild animals instead of bugs, mice and rats.

In his book he can tell you how to dispatch a skunk without it spraying almost every time.

And as a book, it isn't a bad read.

Hope this helps,
Scott
Cologne, MN

#13000 - 10/23/06 09:22 PM Re: Skinning Skunks
NEA Trapper Offline

Loc: arkansas
Trapperscott, can you elaborate on how this is done? Dispatching without them spraying.
Mark

#13001 - 10/23/06 09:52 PM Re: Skinning Skunks
TrapperScott Offline

Loc: Cologne, Minnesota
Rob's method is to use a syringe pole. These are widely available. Just make sure if you are cage trapping to ensure it fits through the side of the cage you are using some poles are too wide. The part of the syringe that you use to get a grasp can be clipped off to help it fit.

You can use accetone in the syringe, both the syringe and accetone can be picked up at the local farm store.

Approach the skunk slowly, if it stomps it's feet stop but hold your position. Don't back off. The stamping of its front feet is a sign of irritation.

Slowly approach the skunk until it is reachable with the syringe pole loaded with accetone.

Push the syringe near the skunk. Let the skunk smell it or bite it. But be patient. Slowly touch the animal's chest and inject the accetone. This is not a stab but more like a shot you might get from a friendly nurse.

The skunk will die instantly without spraying.

The only trick to this is to be patient and hold your ground.

That's the short version. Rob Erickson goes into more detail in his book.

#13002 - 10/23/06 10:37 PM Re: Skinning Skunks
NEA Trapper Offline

Loc: arkansas
Thanks Trapperscott.

#13003 - 10/24/06 01:20 PM Re: Skinning Skunks
Ten Shot Offline

Loc: Mauston, Wisconsin
Finger nail polish remover will work. It contains acetone.

#13004 - 10/24/06 03:14 PM Re: Skinning Skunks
WACKYQUACKER Offline

Loc: CORRALES, NM
I don't want to start something, but I guess I will. This periodic posting of injecting animals with solvents is not a good thing. Sure it kills them and fast. But, these are not approved methods and as such can and will be used against trapping and trappers. Nail polish remover, acetone, paint thinner; what next gasoline?

I think it important to realize that others in society have firm beliefs on euthanasia and these "others" vote.

#13005 - 10/24/06 04:03 PM Re: Skinning Skunks
NEbowhunter Offline

Loc: Holdrege, Nebraska
whats approved?

#13006 - 10/24/06 04:33 PM Re: Skinning Skunks
downwind ken Offline

Loc: Athens, Ohio
giveing a skunk an injection is about as humane as you can get, i think. i find thay are usually dead in less than 3 min. there are a lot of things that can be used,talk to a vet. mine told me to use acctone because it's cheep and easy to find..anyway, it works very well for me.

#13007 - 10/24/06 08:56 PM Re: Skinning Skunks
bawade Offline

Loc: StParis, ohio
If you are cage trapping why not cover cage with a blanket while you are setting it? A skunk wont spray if it cant see you..

(Edit: You're new here, and I don't want to scare you off right away, but this makes no sense. The topic has turned to dispatching skunks. Granted skunks ordinarily won't spray when they are covered, but how does that aid in dispatching them? And I don't understand how covering the trap with a blanket when setting it, has any relevance at all. confused Nonetheless, welcome. smile -- Hal)

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.