Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

Fur Handling Archives

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#13073 - 09/01/07 02:14 PM Re: Risk of rabies transmission while skinning
Ldsoldier Offline

Loc: Raleigh, NC
I was talking about cross contamination, Hal. It getting from your hands to the fur, or maybe even spilling smile

#13074 - 09/02/07 01:18 AM Re: Risk of rabies transmission while skinning
Mike McChurin Offline

Loc: NE Oklahoma
Rabies is a virus, correct?

Mike

#13075 - 09/08/07 07:44 AM Re: Risk of rabies transmission while skinning
Navyman Offline

Loc: VA, VT
I just did some checking on the pre-exposier rabies vacine. I'm still looking and will share what I find out with all here.

The local hospital pharmacy who redily caries it charges about $220 for the kit. You then take this to your doc for injection as it needs to be reconstituted in some way.

This does not eliminate the need for any treatment if you are exposed but cuts the number of post exposier injections from 7 to 2.

You also need to have an antibody cell count done or a booster (which sounded almost like the whole thing all over again). When I asked about unknown exposier like we could be exposed to by skinning, the phamasist didn't know.

My insurance doesn't cover it but would cover it if I needed post esposier treatment. I suppose that you could get the initial pre exposier treatment and then every couple of years assume you have been exposed and then your medical insurance would cover the follow up boosters.

At any rate it doesn't sound like a fool proof way of protection or they wouldn't tell you to seek treatment in the event of exposier so you still need to take all the same precautions if you do get the vaccine. It just reduces the treatment and the overall risk as rabies is a fatal disease.

The two drus that are used to vaccinate for rabies are Rabavert and Imovax. WIth the scams of online pharmacies today one must becareful, but there may be some savings to be had if you can find someplace that caries it.

#27245 - 01/08/20 03:49 PM Re: Risk of rabies transmission while skinning [Re: stoneybrook trapper]
Archive Offline

Dated for search.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.