Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

Fur Handling Archives

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#13076 - 01/24/07 06:30 PM freezer kept green fur's
docter2x4 Offline

Loc: Ohio
how long can you keep green fur's in a freezer before they freezer burn

#13077 - 01/24/07 07:31 PM Re: freezer kept green fur's
cjstrapping Offline
Member+

Loc: NorthWest Ohio
I've kept carryover coon in the freezer for one year, then scraped and fleshed them. I could not tell the difference from fresh coon. However, I rolled these tightly, fur side out, and vacuum sealed them, to remove the air.

#13078 - 01/24/07 08:00 PM Re: freezer kept green fur's
docter2x4 Offline

Loc: Ohio
thank you very much for your help. i fell much better now to hear that. i didn't want to waste the pelt and kill these coon for nothing i did roll them up tight in wal mart bags fur side out.
Thanks Again for your help

#13079 - 01/24/07 09:05 PM Re: freezer kept green fur's
NEbowhunter Offline

Loc: Holdrege, Nebraska
I'm not sure what the ohio regs state, but you might want to check them. here in nebraska, you have so many days after season to be rid of your fur with none in posession. this would mean that holding a coon over till next year wouldn't be legal.
also, you may be better off for long periods rolling fur up in rolls with no leather exposed, but you also run the risk of the fur staying warm inside that roll long enough to spoil. even in a freezer. i freeze my pelts flat, but they are always worked within a week or two after that. smile

#13080 - 01/25/07 02:44 AM Re: freezer kept green fur's
archer01 Offline

Loc: N.E. Penna.
Green pelt.? In Pa. definition of a green pelt is one that is skinned and fleshed and dryed. You can freeze these also if you think you can get a better price next year or have bigger numbers to market with.

Here in Pa. I think it is 10 days after close of season it would be illegal to have a unfleshed hide....... It has to be green or tanned.

Check your rules...
archer01

#13081 - 01/25/07 03:23 AM Re: freezer kept green fur's
cjstrapping Offline
Member+

Loc: NorthWest Ohio
If you have a freezer that takes more than 36 or 48 hours to completely freeze your hides, rolled fur out, then yes, you may have a problem (you may concider buying a freezer newer than a 1950 vintage). Other than that, you should be OK. While the gent above suggests you may be further rolling up with no leather exposed, I couldn't agree more, as that's what I suggested above.

And yes, since a gent above brought up legalities, please check with your local GW. As far as my local GW in Ohio is concerned, you're fine. Just have a valid hunting license and fur takers permit. He will be the fella issuing a ticket.

#13082 - 01/25/07 01:20 PM Re: freezer kept green fur's
TexA Offline

Loc: Estherville, Iowa
doctor2x4... It's always best to freeze your furs FLAT..... They freeze quicker and also thaw quicker. Thus reducing the possibility of them starting to spoil (rot)....

This is an on-going subject that always seems to get a lot of different opinions about it. The biggest question about it is how good is the freezer you're using? Some don't run cold enough to freeze the hides quickly, especially when they are rolled-up. The rolled-up hide insulates the inner parts, leaving time enough to start the spoilage, freezing and then again thawing.

Lay them in the freezer FLAT with the head and tail ends folded over to cover the hide-side. If you wish, you can put them in a plastic bag or ????.... I've kept frozen fur in the freezer for quite a while this way and not had any problem. A lot depends on the freezer you're using though.
------------- --------------- -------------
archer01...
Green furs (anywhere)
are furs that have been skinned and sold....
No fleshing or drying....
Just skinned,
THAT'S IT!

A fur that has been skinned, fleshed and dried is called a "Put-Up" fur, not a Green Fur smile
------------- ---------------- --------------

#13083 - 01/25/07 03:17 PM Re: freezer kept green fur's
45/70 Offline

Loc: South Georgia, usA
If you are concerned about the speed with which your freezer freezes, you might want to consider buying a new one.

What I have is an upright (I prefer chest types for Storing food etc.) with a coil in each shelf. These freezers quickly freeze, much faster than chest types, large amounts of meat, vetatables, and pelts.

The drawback to uprights is that they are not as economical to operate, because all the cold air falls out of them when the door is opened. That is why I prefer chest freezers for storage. If you need fast freezing uprights as described are the best way to go.

When freezing pelts I fold mine once, fur side out.

Adios,
45/70,
RKBA !!!

#13084 - 01/25/07 05:20 PM Re: freezer kept green fur's
NEbowhunter Offline

Loc: Holdrege, Nebraska
fur is made to insulate. thats what it does. a coon has a fur coat that keeps him insulated all winter. now roll him up and thats like 5 of those fur coats. a hide not fleshed, adds inches of insulation in the form of fat. i'm not sure the volume of coons you run, but when you get home and pile 15 rolled up coons in the freezer, i don't care what vintage of frezer you have, you could have trouble getting them cooled down in a timely manner. then when you thaw to put up, you have the outside roll thawed to where you want to work it and the middle is still so frozen solid you cant even unroll it.

#13085 - 01/26/07 01:13 AM Re: freezer kept green fur's
archer01 Offline

Loc: N.E. Penna.
TexA

You are right as far as most trappers think and talk.
But you are dead wrong in Pennsylvania. Law is the law.
Legally the way it is wrote in the "definitions" of the law.
Pa. Game Commission defines a green hide as one that is fleshed and dryed. These and tanned hides are legal anytime.

If you have a whole furbearer or a hide that is not fleshed and dryed ten days after season you will be illegal.
This would keep someone from late trapping or picking up a road kill to put in the freezer till next year.

TexA, I understand your wording is used by most of us,
But, until I did my own checking, The definitions of the law in
Pa., not Iowa, are completely different and wrote by . Maybe YOU should check your legal definitions of
a green hide. Not (anywhere) but maybe Iowa! I already got
Pa. covered....... I URGE ALL OF YOU ON THIS POST TO CHECK
THE DEFINITIONS OF WHAT YOUR STATE DEFINES AS A GREEN HIDE and not listen to me or someone else on the internet. BE LEGAL ! BE SURE !

Archer01

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.