Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

Fur Handling Archives

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#13198 - 11/08/06 11:40 AM fur preparation -- stitching the legs shut?
nsap211 Offline

Loc: Michigan
Just wanted to get some feed back on what other trappers are doing. I have always been taught to stitich my legs and mouths shut, on top of any small accidents of course. I was talking with a fur buyer on the other phone the other day and he told me he does not like to accept fur that has been stitiched in the legs or mouth because he feels there is something the trapper is trying to hide. so that got me thinking and i contacted my local buyer and he said it does not matter one way or another, but it does not add anything to the price and is just extra work for nothing. any thoughts on this?

#13199 - 11/08/06 12:36 PM Re: fur preparation -- stitching the legs shut?
Hal Online   content

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
You are not improving your pelts by doing that.

smile -- Hal

#13200 - 11/08/06 12:37 PM Re: fur preparation -- stitching the legs shut?
redsnow Online   content

Loc: WV
What type of pelt/animal are you dealing with??? I've always tried to staple/sew/nail the leg-holes closed on beaver pelts. "Stiching" a mouth closed??? Never heard of that, are you sure the fur-buyer understood your question? On coon/fox pelts the bottom lip is worthless, unless it's going to be mounted. quest

#13201 - 11/08/06 05:17 PM Re: fur preparation -- stitching the legs shut?
nsap211 Offline

Loc: Michigan
i misspoke myself in the first post and i am sorry for that. as refering to the sewing of the mouth, i found out from a family friend the reasoning behind that was is because when it is drying the lower lip might flip down and could cause a molding spot. as for the legs, i have sewed all of the front legs on everything from coon, to beaver. i guess this is just a wasted effort now, and i will stop doing it unless i am told other wise by a fur buy. i guess i will see what happens at the end of the year. thank you for the replies.

#13202 - 11/09/06 06:43 AM Re: fur preparation -- stitching the legs shut?
Hal Online   content

Beaver are the exception. You do need to sew or tack the leg holes closed on a beaver pelt, but nothing else. As for the bottom lip, just cut it off. It is of no value.

smile -- Hal

#13203 - 11/11/06 04:18 AM Re: fur preparation -- stitching the legs shut?
trappertom Offline

Loc: ontario canada
It may not matter if your selling to a local buyer but if your selling through one of the action houses Fur Harvesters or NAFA leg holes sewn on beaver, otter and coon lower lip removed from everything except timber wolves and bear , the reson for removeing the lip is because thats where they staple your i.d. tag . pelts can be damaged if the lip is removed at the auction house when dry.
happy trappin

#13204 - 11/11/06 02:20 PM Re: fur preparation -- stitching the legs shut?
Hal Online   content

I'm not exactly sure what you said there, bu NAFA offers no recommendation on sewing the front leg holes shut on otter or raccoon. For raccoons it says: Cut them short, 1/2 to 3/4 inches, but don't cut them flush."

The only critter upon which you really need to close the leg holes, is a beaver.

smile -- Hal

#13205 - 11/12/06 03:46 AM Re: fur preparation -- stitching the legs shut?
trappertom Offline

I agree the only one "you really need to sew the leg holes on are beaver" I personally find appearence of the hide as much as primeness will put more dollars in your pocket. Since I make my liveing trapping I need every dollar I can get out of a particular hide.
happy trappin

#13206 - 11/12/06 08:00 AM Re: fur preparation -- stitching the legs shut?
Ric Offline

Loc: Wellington,OH=USA
This is a little off the subject Tom but take it for what it is.Sewing the leg holes on coon and otter is not going to gain you anything and can cause problems.Put up properly on correct sized forms and well fleshed a skin is going to be graded for what it is.Especially at one of the major auction houses.

Even though I only derive part of my income from fur sales I too expect to receive all that I can from them.Until someone can prove that sewing legholes really does increase there value.I'll just follow the guidelines where I sell and leave the extras for those that wish to take the time to do it

#13207 - 11/13/06 02:54 AM Re: fur preparation -- stitching the legs shut?
trappertom Offline

Pelt Handling for Profit manual available free from Fur Harvesters, lots of good info right from the top.
www.furharvesters.com
happy trappin

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.