Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line forum

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Topic Options
#1324 - 10/09/13 08:01 PM correct use of fleshing knife
Kart29 Offline

Loc: Indiana
I think I read on here a while back something about the correct use of a fleshing knife that made me think I have been doing it backwards all this time.

I have a cheapie fleshing knife - the kind you get for $15 in all the trapping catalogs. The blade is curved such that it has a convex arc on one side and a concave arc on the the other side. My knife has a bevel on the concave side with a radius approximately that of my fleshing beam. I've always used this side as it mates with the radius of the beam. The convex side of the knife I believe has a 90 degree angle made up by the flat bottom of the knife and what would be the leading face if the convex side were pushed forward.

Seems like I read something here suggesting that the convex side should be sharpened and is the side that does most of the work when fleshing pelts. Is this correct or did I misunderstand the gist of what was being discussed in the other thread I read? (it was a long time ago - several weeks anyway)

#1325 - 10/10/13 07:53 PM Re: correct use of fleshing knife
Hal Offline

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
It sounds like you have a single edge knife. A double edge knife is sharpened on both the concave and the convex edge. You can sharpen the convex edge of your knife on a grinding wheel if you like.

The sharpened convex side is used the shave the tough parts of the pelt, like up around the neck. The bulk of the fleshing is done with the dull, concave edge.

Hal

#1326 - 10/11/13 07:26 AM Re: correct use of fleshing knife
Kart29 Offline

Loc: Indiana
Good, thanks. Sounds like I'm not doing it so wrong after all.

I have a hard time getting the neck cleaned up with my fleshing knife. If I put a sharp edge on it I slice the pelt all up. If I leave it dull, I can't get the necks cleaned up.

I'll try using a sharp edge to slice the gristle off the necks and use the dull edge to push the meat and fat off the easy spots.

Fleshing is the hardest part of trapping for me.

#1327 - 10/11/13 08:00 PM Re: correct use of fleshing knife
Mike Conrad Online   content

Loc: Sheffield, Ohio
Some trappers use a knife with a rounded tip, like a dexter, to flesh the tough stuff around a coons neck to get started.

#1328 - 10/12/13 06:53 AM Re: correct use of fleshing knife
Ric Offline

Loc: Wellington,OH=USA
From what you describe your knife is one with a single edge. To make life a little easier. Shape the other edge to match what is on there now. Rough in with a grinder and finish with a half round file.

Moderator:  Hal, musher, redsnow, Ric 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.