Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

Fur Handling Archives

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Topic Options
#13306 - 06/16/07 03:00 AM Keeping Skinned Fur in a Cooler
silverado Offline

Loc: virginia
I checked the archives and couldn't find an answer. If temps are averaging 40 at night and 50 during the day....You have no freezer ...and not enough stretchers to put up your coon or fox..is the best way to keep the pelt from spoiling untill stretchers become available to skin them and put the skin on ice in a cooler or something?...If so how long could they be keep in the cooler before they would become a problem to put up

#13307 - 06/16/07 12:54 PM Re: Keeping Skinned Fur in a Cooler
Ric Offline

Loc: Wellington,OH=USA
A cooler would be a short term,stop gap solution.Giving you a couple days to catch up.You worked hard to produce them don't throw that work away.

Get a freezer or more stretchers

#13308 - 06/16/07 06:19 PM Re: Keeping Skinned Fur in a Cooler
Hal Online   content

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
A cooler might work for two or three pelts for a couple of days, but here's the problem. If you've got more pelts than that, and you try to cram them into a cooler, the middle ones won't get chilled. Heck this can be a problem if you stack too many unfrozen pelts together in a freezer, let alone a cooler.

If you have the room to hang and dry that extra fur, the most economical solution is extra stretchers. But a freezer is real handy to have.

smile -- Hal

#13309 - 06/16/07 06:42 PM Re: Keeping Skinned Fur in a Cooler
silverado Offline

Loc: virginia
Thanks Ric and Hal....I know I can always count on the straight scoop when posting here. Even though I don't post alot of questions, I read it every day, and I can't begin to tell you two how much help this Forum is.

Jim

#13310 - 06/17/07 07:51 PM Re: Keeping Skinned Fur in a Cooler
bblwi Offline

Loc: Kiel, WI
Follow the above advice. Also if the temp is in the range you indicated and you are not providing additional heat your pelts on the boards will dry slower than say at 60-65 degrees F temps and that will make your shortage of freezer space or stretchers even more problematic.
I don't know the size and scope of your trapping operation but if you have limited time to handle fur while trapping and your total harvest is small or medium in numbers the freezer to me makes more sense. You can only handle fur when time is available and to me the freezer has more multiple uses and more seasonal uses than additional stretchers. If you have even a dozen pelts of various species such as rats, mink, coon, fox etc. that are exposed to potential slippage or tainting you have already saved a major portion of the purchase of a used freezer.

Bryce

#27242 - 01/08/20 03:48 PM Re: Keeping Skinned Fur in a Cooler [Re: silverado]
Archive Offline

Dated for search.

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.