Please observe our rules: No profanity. No flaming. No commercial messages. No personal messages please.

Trap Line Archives

Fur Handling Archives

Trap Line Home   Trap Line Forum   Trap Line Help   Trap Line Photo   Old Hollow Blog   Archives
Topic Options
#13395 - 04/06/06 07:40 AM Sewing Holes in Fur
Newtrapper07 Offline

Loc: Mondovi Wi
I am wondering if there is any special kind of thread I should use to stich holes in a couple of my furs. Also is there any certain technique that i should use to do this.

#13396 - 04/06/06 09:52 AM Re: Sewing Holes in Fur
NEbowhunter Offline

Loc: Holdrege, Nebraska
I use the old waxed dental floss. doubled up and continuous loop,looping under previous loop each time.

the big thing is cutting out the hole in the shape of a football using a razor blade. if you try and sew odd ball holes, you end up with puckers.

#13397 - 04/06/06 10:23 AM Re: Sewing Holes in Fur
Hal Offline

Loc: Blue Creek, Ohio, USA
NE: Covered it pretty well. I prefer dental floss myself for thread.

One other thing that can help is using a curved needle to sew with.

smile -- Hal

#13398 - 04/07/06 01:46 PM Re: Sewing Holes in Fur
Creekwalker Offline

Loc: Southwest Ohio
Do you leave the stitches in when you sell the fur or take them out after it dries? Is that more effective than using push pins to close the hole until it dries? Thanks.

#13399 - 04/07/06 01:55 PM Re: Sewing Holes in Fur
Paul Fox Offline

Loc: Deckerville mi.
Your local veternary clinic might be able to help you out with supplies(thread,needles,razors,ect.).My dad is a vet so I have easy access to all that.Just a thought.

#13400 - 04/07/06 02:50 PM Re: Sewing Holes in Fur
NEbowhunter Offline

Loc: Holdrege, Nebraska
yes, you leave the stiches in when you sell it.

its kind of a judgment call on push pinning or sewing. A big hole is generally a sew job. On fur out animals i sew cause on a good job, the fur hides the stiches and it cant be seen.

on skin out animals i'll try and push pin best i can so there isn't big visible stiches.

have to have wood stretcher or backing if you are using push pins. if you have wire stretchers, its a non issue unless you shove a chunk of wood or heavey cardboard inside.

#13401 - 04/10/06 06:37 AM Re: Sewing Holes in Fur
TexA Offline

Loc: Estherville, Iowa
I've sewed-up a ton of red fox furs over the years for a local buyer and my own when I was shooting them with the 22-250....

A SIMPLE HOLE is fairly easy to sew up, IF the edges are pretty smooth and can easily be layed together in a natural manner.

BULLET HOLES are another story. Usually the bullet has struck a bone, creating a ragged, jagged exit hole. Those edges should be removed, rounded-off and just made to go together smoothly before sewing is ever attempted. You will have a lot stronger and better looking "fix" if you spend the time taken to smooth off the hole.

Barring the loss of an extra large patch of fur, it is usually possible to "put together" a fur that has been pretty shot up and sell it for little or no loss in monies.

Any hair or fur you have sticking through to the inside of the hide should be carefully pushed back through to the fur side. If you don't do it and have a considerable amount of fur on the inside, it can/will be noticed easily they the trained-eye of a good fur buyer!

The better, smoother job you do of sewing, the less attention the fur will get at the buyers shop.

That lead me to use any smaller-sized, regular sewing needle and a light (hide colored) regular sewing thread from my wife's sewing box.

A single strand of thread, carefully pulled up so the hide-edges were very close together and then tied-off worked for me.

Afer a loop through the hide and a small over-hand knot to secure the bitter-end of the thread, there are a few stitches that work especially well for sewing up furs so they won't pull out.

One of the best is what I call a "Cable Lacers Stitch". The needle is ran through the torn hide on one side, about 1/8th to 1/4-inch from the edge of the tear, then over to the other side of the tear, through that side and then back to the inside of the hide. Instead of starting another stitch at this point, run the thread underneath the thread as it closes the space between the two pieces of hide. That simple step will "lock" each stitch in place.

Don't pull your stitches up tight!!!! Just snug them up so the hide touches edges and leave it alone. Smooth up the completed sewing job with your finger pressure on the hide to even out any irregularities.

The main thing about sewing hides it to take your time. A nasty hole can usually be "fixed-up" pretty good if you do.

For the heavier furs such as coon and coyotes, you CAN use heavier or doubled thread. But for the lighter hides, stay with a single, smaller thread....

When you turn the fur, carefully brush-out the area where the hole existed. It should be barely noticeable, IF at all....

It works for me!!!!!

#25398 - 10/17/17 12:32 PM Re: Sewing Holes in Fur [Re: Newtrapper07]
Archive Offline

Dated for search.

Moderator:  Archive 

Sullivan's Line - Trapping Books, Videos, and Other Products for the Trapper.

Design and Production by Sullivan Promotions
Copyright 2000-2017  Sullivan's Scents and Supplies - All rights reserved.